Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview: Charlton Athletic vs Cray Valley Paper Mills | Sunday 5th November 2023 - 5:30pm KO

Comments

• Team predication 

Walker

TWatson
    Ness
    Jones
    Asiiwme

McGandles
    Anderson 
    Fraser 

T Campbell
    Tedic
    Kirk 
  • They could well have more fans there than us ! Kick off time & game on TV means lots will give it a miss ( me included). If Cray Valley keep the score respectable then I think that’s the best they can hope for, assuming the players picked take it seriously, which I fully expect. Cray deserve respect but I’m expecting at least 4 goals from us with possibly 1 from them, as we rarely keep a clean sheet ! 
    What's the problem with the kick off time?
  • edited November 2023
    Swindon 0 Aldershot 7, still playing. I hope Swindon put out their Under 21 team. 🤣
    FT 4-7
  • edited November 2023
    I'd never heard of Cray Valley before the draw and don't expect I'll give them a second thought after their inevitable humiliation.

Right, off to Labrokes to put a sizable bet on Cray Valley beating Charlton tomorrow. Easy money.

• Micky Appleton now live on BBC 2 as a pundit for the Bromley game!
  • This result all depends on how serious Charlton take it .. simple as that . If we make 11 changes with using this game to give players minutes like Edun and McGrandles  then it will be close even a reply … … Can see a reason for not playing Dobson and May due to suspension, but would like to think at least 6 players will start that started at Wigan .
    Suspensions from the cup don’t carry over to the league, and vice versa.
  • Blackpool showing that it's all about the attitude. You have to have players up for it, who could be regulars. OR reserves wanting to impress
  • edited November 2023
    I’m sure Cray Valley are no mugs. The Isthmian League South East division must be the first tier 8 division to have three teams reach round 1 in a long time, if not the first time ever.

Coalville in round 1 last year were a tier 7 side and we swept them aside 4-1 with a somewhat rotated team.

We should be able to get the job done with the following…
    Walker

Asiimwe Abankwah Ness Edun

Chem McGrandles Fraser

Tyreece Tedic Kirk

Subs: AMB, T.Watson, Jones, Hector, L.Watson, Dobson, CBT, Leaburn, May

If Edun and McGrandles not ready, replace them with Chin and Kedwell. Apples choice on whether Chin or Kedwell start, or T.Watson and Dobson start with Chin and Kedwell on the bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

This really is why the English System is perhaps the greatest in the world, and this match up 

Maynard-Brewer
    Laqeretabua - Ness - Hector - Edun
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser
    T.Campbell - Leaburn - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Asiimwe - Jones - Dobson - L.Watson - C.Campbell - Casey
    Isn’t it the same more or less 
    all over Europe?
  • My mate and I - wanting some Saturday football / beers - went to Phoenix Sports today - non league of course, quality of football wasn’t great - good laugh though (drinking pints of Guinness watching the game highly enjoyable) - chatted to some of the regulars there - they told us Cray Valley PM are decent, Charlton beware 

Judging by what I saw today, doubtful - BUT there were a few players on both sides who I thought ‘what on earth are you doing playing this level, you could play well higher than this’

Non league has improved massively these days - I can remember watching Dartford in early 80’s - it was dreadful quality and fitness wise - certainly fitness in non league is much better these days - quality is lagging behind a bit, but certainly way better 

So - Charlton - we need to do a job, and rip them a new A Hole tmrw 

Look at Swindon today….
  • l - BUT there were a few players on both sides who I thought ‘what on earth are you doing playing this level, you could play well higher than this’

People often forget that some players choose to play lower down the pyramid because they have a good career in some other field.

• Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

This really is why the English System is perhaps the greatest in the world, and this match up 

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Asiimwe - Jones - Dobson - L.Watson - C.Campbell - Casey
    all over Europe?
    I think it’s unusual in the extent of the qualifying rounds. The German DFB Pokal is a lot of fun but the big clubs are already in it by now. Or in the case of Bayern, in and already out at the hands of 3rd division Saarbrücken. You love to see it😛

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

all over Europe?
    In certain parts I guess so but was in Eindhoven recently and went to a PSV game. Got talking to a local about how different it is to be in a city with only 1-2 teams compared to London, which has the most football clubs in the world. 
  • I see a lot of folk on here are saying play Tedic up front.

Do we really want to start someone who has hardly had a kick in his normal position & when he has played has looked average at best. 

Please please please start with at least a striker who knows where the goal is. We need to get ahead early (like Blackpool) and not be 30 mins into the game with no shots on target. 
  • There are players in non league who could easily play at a higher level, but may choose not to because they have another career they don't want to give up. Former Dartford legend Elliot Bradbrook for example had a very good job in the City, so had no desire to go full time.

What these players don't have is the fitness of full time pros. 

The key is our attitude. Like Blackpool today we have to be up for it. What we can't afford is half arsed players, thinking they don't need to try.
  • Sponsored links:

• Respect to all the fans who are sacrificing the match to attend their Sunday Roast...well done one and all...🙄
  • Chunes said:

Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

all over Europe?
    In certain parts I guess so but was in Eindhoven recently and went to a PSV game. Got talking to a local about how different it is to be in a city with only 1-2 teams compared to London, which has the most football clubs in the world. 

I'd have thought Buenos Aires has the most teams.
  • Chunes said:

Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

all over Europe?

You might be right actually, think I was looking at list of Europe
  • I see a lot of folk on here are saying play Tedic up front.

Do we really want to start someone who has hardly had a kick in his normal position & when he has played has looked average at best. 

Please please please start with at least a striker who knows where the goal is. We need to get ahead early (like Blackpool) and not be 30 mins into the game with no shots on target. 
    Make your mind up, old chap. This is your post on the  2nd. Round Draw thread:

Certainly the likes of Kirk, Anderson, Edun & Tedic should start. But as someone up thread has said, it should resemble a proper side with players in their right positions. We have enough fringe players & U23's to do this. 

Anyway, do enjoy your Yorkshire pudding.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

all over Europe?

It's a cracking city for groundhopping, one day I'll pop down there for two weeks.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

all over Europe?

It's a cracking city for groundhopping, one day I'll pop down there for two weeks.
    That’s a lot to cram in.
  • This debate is not quite clear. There are 17 professional clubs in London. The number in B.A is equal but whether they are all really professional clubs is not clear. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_Buenos_Aires

https://www.p1travel.com/blog/football-clubs-london/

Top division only. Doha comes second, lol:
    https://www.90min.com/posts/the-cities-with-the-most-football-teams

Sorry for going off thread....