Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Charlton Athletic vs Cray Valley Paper Mills | Sunday 5th November 2023 - 5:30pm KO

FA Cup 1st Round Proper
Charlton Athletic vs Cray Valley Paper Mills

Sunday 5th November 2023 - 5:30pm KO (Live on BBC2)
Referee: Ben Speedie

Introduction
Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

This really is why the English System is perhaps the greatest in the world, and this match up coming up on Sunday really does epitomise that fact - Of course Cray Valley would have stood a greater chance had this game not been away for them. But at 5:30pm on Sunday afternoon, two teams will step out on to a Football pitch, there doesn't have to be a winner... But at the same time, miracles can happen...

The Opposition
Name: Cray Valley Paper Mills | Manager: Steve McKimm
League: Isthmian League South East Division (10th)
Last time Out: Chatham 0-2 Cray Valley (FA Trophy)

When Charlton met Coalville Town a year, it was against the lowest team we'd ever faced in a competitive fixture.

Fast forward a year, and Cray Valley Paper Mills become the lowest team we've ever faced in a competitive fixture - Based in Eltham, the Millers have been in existence since 1919, spending the entirety of their History in the Non-League Pyramid - This is only Cray Valley's second outing in the First Round Proper of the FA Cup, they reached this stage back in 2020-21, however they'd be on the losing side that day at Havant and Waterlooville... So they shouldn't be phased by reaching this point in the competition.

Much will be made about the family reunion at the Valley on Sunday, what with the Lisbie links to this club

However browsing elsewhere through the Cray Valley team, and there isn't much League experience for them to call upon, which in turn could be vital the longer this particular game goes on - Lyle Della-Verde on the wing (Fleetwood) and Adam Coombes up front (Notts County) appear to be the only ones with League experience. Both have had spells with Welling United, should be familiar with Charlton fans.

Their FA Cup journey began back on the 19th August, with Lordswood another side from the South East of England forcing a replay... Since then teams such as Uxbridge, Northwood, Carshalton and Enfield have fallen by the wayside - It was pretty inevitable this tie would be setup, especially with Kyrell Lisbie bagging two goals in that Final Qualifier.

Lets hope Charlton don't join that list of clubs come Sunday evening!!

Charlton Team News
I guess we can expect wholesale changes from the Addicks this coming weekend.

I'd be very surprised if Management didnt treat it like another EFL Trophy given the level of Cray Valley, and we should be too strong for them based on the talent of the squad, thats even with Northwich Victoria warnings in the background - Some like Ashley Maynard-Brewer may keep his place, to keep up momentum ahead of an important League fixture at Portsmouth next Saturday.

Equally we may see a few Youth teamers given an opportunity, our U21s beating Cray Valley in the London Senior Cup last season.

Maynard-Brewer
Laqeretabua - Ness - Hector - Edun
Anderson - Kedwell
Fraser
T.Campbell - Leaburn - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Asiimwe - Jones - Dobson - L.Watson - C.Campbell - Casey

Comments

• Options
    FA Cup 1st Round Proper

Introduction
    Two sides separated by just four miles, but a whole load of places separate them in the English Football Pyramid

This really is why the English System is perhaps the greatest in the world, and this match up coming up on Sunday really does epitomise that fact - Of course Cray Valley would have stood a greater chance had this game not been away for them. But at 5:30pm on Sunday afternoon, two teams will step out on to a Football pitch, there doesn't have to be a winner... But at the same time, miracles can happen...

The Opposition

When Charlton met Coalville Town a year, it was against the lowest team we'd ever faced in a competitive fixture.

Fast forward a year, and Cray Valley Paper Mills become the lowest team we've ever faced in a competitive fixture - Based in Eltham, the Millers have been in existence since 1919, spending the entirety of their History in the Non-League Pyramid - This is only Cray Valley's second outing in the First Round Proper of the FA Cup, they reached this stage back in 2020-21, however they'd be on the losing side that day at Havant and Waterlooville... So they shouldn't be phased by reaching this point in the competition.

Much will be made about the family reunion at the Valley on Sunday, what with the Lisbie links to this club

However browsing elsewhere through the Cray Valley team, and there isn't much League experience for them to call upon, which in turn could be vital the longer this particular game goes on - Lyle Della-Verde on the wing (Fleetwood) and Adam Coombes up front (Notts County) appear to be the only ones with League experience. Both have had spells with Welling United, should be familiar with Charlton fans.

Their FA Cup journey began back on the 19th August, with Lordswood another side from the South East of England forcing a replay... Since then teams such as Uxbridge, Northwood, Carshalton and Enfield have fallen by the wayside - It was pretty inevitable this tie would be setup, especially with Kyrell Lisbie bagging two goals in that Final Qualifier.

Charlton Team News

I'd be very surprised if Management didnt treat it like another EFL Trophy given the level of Cray Valley, and we should be too strong for them based on the talent of the squad, thats even with Northwich Victoria warnings in the background - Some like Ashley Maynard-Brewer may keep his place, to keep up momentum ahead of an important League fixture at Portsmouth next Saturday.

Equally we may see a few Youth teamers given an opportunity, our U21s beating Cray Valley in the London Senior Cup last season.

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Asiimwe - Jones - Dobson - L.Watson - C.Campbell - Casey
    That team looks stronger than the one I would put out BUT it depends on whether we can play our loanees or not. If he can play, it should be the perfect game for Tedic to get some minutes in the No 9 role and a goal or two, for example. Similarly Chem needs minutes.

Is McGrandles fit enough to feature, as again this would be an ideal reintroduction for him.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The pitchforks will be out over your suggested line up @ForeverAddickted

As mentioned on the FA Cup thread earlier, the last instance of an 8th tier side playing away at a 3rd tier side that I could find was Tranmere (who ended up relegated to League 2 the same season) beating Chichester City 5-1 in 2019.
  • Options

As mentioned on the FA Cup thread earlier, the last instance of an 8th tier side playing away at a 3rd tier side that I could find was Tranmere (who ended up relegated to League 2 the same season) beating Chichester City 5-1 in 2019.
    Hope the Cray Valley team realise how real this is getting, now they're getting one of my famous Match Previews :D

Have an eighth tier team ever got beyond the First Round?
    They'll be gutted I won't be there, as I have Covid. Indeed the players probably won't even bother turning up now.
  • Options
    We have 6 days before our next league game. I’d expect a much stronger line up, something like this but maybe even a couple more first teamers involved 

Walker 

Laqeretabua 
    Abankwah
    Ness
    Edun 

Anderson
    McGrandles 

Campbell
    Fraser
    Kirk 

Tedic 
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Hope the Cray Valley team realise how real this is getting, now they're getting one of my famous Match Previews :D

Yes, Chichester City got to round 2 against Tranmere in 2019. :-)

Although they did benefit from a round 1 bye to get there (Bury's expulsion meant that there were only 79 teams in the round 1 draw that season).

One step further, tier 8 side Marine reached the third round in 2020-21 who people might remember were drawn at home against Tottenham.
  • Options

One step further, tier 8 side Marine reached the third round back in 2020-21 who people might remember were drawn at home against Tottenham.
    Ironically Cray Valley would have faced Maine in the 2nd Round that year, had they beaten Havant & Waterlooville, at least I presume they would have done, had the ball numbers remained the same?
  • Options

One step further, tier 8 side Marine reached the third round back in 2020-21 who people might remember were drawn at home against Tottenham.
    Ironically Cray Valley would have faced Maine in the 2nd Round that year, had they beaten Havant & Waterlooville, at least I presume they would have done, had the ball numbers remained the same?

In the FA Cup, they do. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    If Abankwah, Chem Campbell and Tedic don't start this we might as well send them back.
    Expecting the same side more or less, that we played against Villa U21s with Tedic for Leaburn, Anderson for Watson and Nbankwah for Elewere.
  • Options
    FA Cup 1st Round Proper

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Maynard-Brewer
    Anderson - Kedwell
    Fraser

If Apples plays that line up that will be totally disrespectful not only to the paying fans but to those watching on TV and to Cray Valley.
    He will definitely play a stronger line up than that. The last thing he would want would be an embarrassing upset live on the TV just a couple of months into his tenure. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've missed quite a few FA Cup games against lower div teams, but I do remember Dagenham and Redbridge and some pretty hefty challenges that went unnoticed by the ref. Not saying they were intended, but with the extra enthusiasm/determination of an FA Cup game plus one team maybe quicker than the other then some challenges may be mistimed. For that reason I'd play as many loanees as I can fit in the team, of course it's their chance to show what they are about (!). 
  • Options
    I was at Northwick Victoria, one of worst matches I have seen. I tend to agree  with Beds in that we should play a strong team, but then I remember when we played Norwich in the cup and we did well for the 1st half, then Norwich put on their best players and won comfortably. I guess we will do similar and bring on the best only if we need to.
  • Options
    Chance for Kirk to shine against his future team mates.
    Oooh you are awful, but I like you.
  • Options
    Chance for Kirk to shine against his future team mates.
    Oooh you are awful, but I like you.

• Options
    If Abankwah, Chem Campbell and Tedic don't start this we might as well send them back.
    Expecting the same side more or less, that we played against Villa U21s with Tedic for Leaburn, Anderson for Watson and Nbankwah for Elewere.
    Assuming their parent clubs allow us to play them though...
  • Options
    Would like to see Walker given a go to see what he's about. Probably (hopefully) won't have a lot to do anyway so may as well get a game. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    We have 6 days before our next league game. I’d expect a much stronger line up, something like this but maybe even a couple more first teamers involved 

Walker 

Laqeretabua 
    Abankwah
    Ness
    Edun 

Anderson
    McGrandles 

Campbell
    Fraser
    Kirk 

Tedic 
    Would you back that team to win ?
  • Options
    As long as we get through, really don't care about the score, in fact I would love it for them to have a good game take the lead, with Lisbie's lad getting onto the score sheet at The Covered End, but really it has to be a home win...doesn't it... none of this replay stuff.🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Too much assuming the loanees will be allowed to play by their parent clubs. Not saying they won't but if there is any indication by us we may want to send them back in January the parent club might not want them cup tied if they need to loan them out again.
  • Options
    This is an amazing opportunity for a cringeworthy, buttock clenching Charlton Cup disaster, AND it's on tele ain't it?  Think I read that somewhere.

0-1 and at least one injury to one of our better players...
  • Options
    Too much assuming the loanees will be allowed to play by their parent clubs. Not saying they won't but if there is any indication by us we may want to send them back in January the parent club might not want them cup tied if they need to loan them out again.
    Interesting point and that being the case would it be in the loan agreement that if both parties gave the thumbs up to the player being cup-tied then there'd be no sending them back in January? That'd be food for thought for Sundays team selection and recruitment in the January window.
  • Options
    Lose this on Sunday and it will be embarassing but with the depths we have sunk to it would not really be that surprising. Despite the win in midweek we are still a point behind the magnificent 22/23 season. Should be ok, 2-0 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted's squad is a stronger one than I would have. Those whinging: this is an eighth tier side and we've had back to back Saturday Tuesdays. This is a chance for the reserves and some youngsters. If you go to the match, please expect that.

Here is what I'm expecting:

Walker
    Laqeretabua Abankwah Ness Chin
    ........Anderson - Fraser
    .............C Campbell
    T.Campbell - Tedic - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: Molyneux - Edun - Asiimwe - T. Watson - Kedwell - McGrandles - C Casey

I doubt that Edun and McGrandles are 60 minutes fit yet, but if they are I expect them to start in place of Chin and C. Campbell .

There is no need to have the likes of May, Dobbo, AMB, CBT, or Hector anywhere near this game. If you want a CB on the bench have Jones there instead of one of the RBs, but Asiimwe has played CB in the past and feel he could cover there against a side like this. 
  • Options
    From the social media video put out earlier McGrandles does seem to be training now, so hopefully can feature
  • Options
    They could well have more fans there than us ! Kick off time & game on TV means lots will give it a miss ( me included). If Cray Valley keep the score respectable then I think that’s the best they can hope for, assuming the players picked take it seriously, which I fully expect. Cray deserve respect but I’m expecting at least 4 goals from us with possibly 1 from them, as we rarely keep a clean sheet ! 
  • Options
    They could well have more fans there than us ! Kick off time & game on TV means lots will give it a miss ( me included). If Cray Valley keep the score respectable then I think that’s the best they can hope for, assuming the players picked take it seriously, which I fully expect. Cray deserve respect but I’m expecting at least 4 goals from us with possibly 1 from them, as we rarely keep a clean sheet ! 
    That depends on whether they can finish Sunday lunch early enough
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    When I looked at Friday's FA Cup reports, I noticed that the teams each had 9 subs. I presume that we will be allowed the same.
    Therefore, there will be plenty of room for both youth and first choice players on the bench. The latter, who hopefully won't be needed, kept in reserve in case the game isn't going well, and the former could be given experience if we are a few goals up, like earlier this week at Wigan. Oh!

Hopefully there's no point in suggesting the make up of the team now. As somebody stated in an earlier post, the team should have been chosen earlier this week, and given time to work together over the past few days.