Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Reading | Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm KO

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    For anybody who wasn’t there, near the end of the impeccable minutes silence there was one male voice from what seemed like the North East corner that shouted ‘Free Palestine’, and moments later another male voice from the north end of the Curbishley stand also yelled ‘Free Palestine’.
    There was an immediate ripple/shoulder stiffening reaction from more or less everybody, who bristled at the spoiling of a rather moving silence only affected by the odd rattle of a seat, the shouts were totally inappropriate at that moment.
    After the minutes silence ended there were chants of ‘Chuck him out’ from the North Upper.
    There was really no need for it, really disrespectful, especially when Palestine was included in the minutes silence. At the England game last week the minutes silence excluded Palestine and there were similar incidents all around wembley but that’s probably more understandable as they were not mentioned 
  • Options
    Never see the game but what a good result looks like we finally found a manager who knows how to get the best out of our players 
    Well done you Reds  B)

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has commented yet about the ref. After a slightly shaky first 10-15 minutes I thought he went on to have an excellent game. Good decision making, ready to play the advantage, allowing the game to flow and not brandishing a yellow card for every minor misdemeanour the way that we've become used to. 
    When nobody comments about the ref, it usually means they had a decent game. 
  • Options
    I never feel right giving someone MOM who only played half a game, but Tyreece Campbell was sickeningly good 2nd half.

A real break out performance by him. 
    Well mate, whoscored stats seem to agree. 

He was brilliant tbf 
  • Options
    What's the view on CarLeasingLife?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    For anybody who wasn’t there, near the end of the impeccable minutes silence there was one male voice from what seemed like the North East corner that shouted ‘Free Palestine’, and moments later another male voice from the north end of the Curbishley stand also yelled ‘Free Palestine’.
    There was an immediate ripple/shoulder stiffening reaction from more or less everybody, who bristled at the spoiling of a rather moving silence only affected by the odd rattle of a seat, the shouts were totally inappropriate at that moment.
    After the minutes silence ended there were chants of ‘Chuck him out’ from the North Upper.
    Wasn't quite in the NE corner but was definitely at that end of the Upper Cupboard End - he was a few rows in front of me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only three of our players in the Div Three Team Of the Week?

Mickey Apples OUT!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I might have missed it, but I don't think anyone has commented yet about the ref. After a slightly shaky first 10-15 minutes I thought he went on to have an excellent game. Good decision making, ready to play the advantage, allowing the game to flow and not brandishing a yellow card for every minor misdemeanour the way that we've become used to. 

I agree on the ref having a good game. This is in spite of the fact that he seemed to ignore the new way of keeping the ball moving. He allowed players to take an age over throw ins and corners. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    When nobody comments about the ref, it usually means they had a decent game. 
    Thought he was excellent. Might have mentioned this on the match thread. Up until 97th min and the free kick awarded against Scott Fraser for a foul, was directly in front of me and was a clear Charlton free kick, only decision I thought he got wrong. 
  • Options
    What pleases me the most is that we finally have some strikers who seem to know where the net is. Throw into the mix TC and CBT … looking good Mikey A, looking good 
  • Options
    I have been giving Apples a relatively low score because of our 1st half performance, but I now wonder if his tactics is to have a defensive 45 then bring on the subs and change to an attacking formation?
    Glad you caught up  ;)
  • Options
    I really don't think we should be having these minutes silence before 3rd division football games. Of course what is going on in the Middle East is terrible and I am sure we all feel terribly saddened by the loss of life on both sides. However, personally, I don't need to share my grief and respect for world events at a football game. 
    Maybe there could be a distinction between a 3rd division game and a Premier League game or an International because you could argue that via a televised worldwide audience that maybe it has more impact on others - however, if it was my decision, I wouldn't have it there either. I just don't think its the right forum. 
    As we saw on Saturday, it also gets slightly hijacked by idiots who have different/ extreme views. 
    Pretty much with the exception of  the occasional old players who have given fantastic service eg Sam Bartram, Derek Ufton, etc, I don't believe we should have them. 
    All I want to see is a game of football, nothing else. 
    I agree with this. I thought the words used were decent and acknowledged the suffering of the innocents on both sides, but as soon as the silence was announced, my son turned to me and said 'it seems like we are always having a silence for something' and that's the issue. Lots of bad news and bad things happen everywhere all of the time, and fortunately so do good things. But we do not need to contemplate all of these at the start of a football game imo. We can do that separately. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I really don't think we should be having these minutes silence before 3rd division football games. Of course what is going on in the Middle East is terrible and I am sure we all feel terribly saddened by the loss of life on both sides. However, personally, I don't need to share my grief and respect for world events at a football game. 
    Maybe there could be a distinction between a 3rd division game and a Premier League game or an International because you could argue that via a televised worldwide audience that maybe it has more impact on others - however, if it was my decision, I wouldn't have it there either. I just don't think its the right forum. 
    As we saw on Saturday, it also gets slightly hijacked by idiots who have different/ extreme views. 
    Pretty much with the exception of  the occasional old players who have given fantastic service eg Sam Bartram, Derek Ufton, etc, I don't believe we should have them. 
    All I want to see is a game of football, nothing else. 
    Minute silences used to be (in my memory) a rare occurrence.
    In recent seasons it's rare not to have a minutes silence. 
  • Options
    The 2nd one to shout Free Palestine I don’t think intended too, but was automatically triggered/ encouraged by the 1st doing it. Regardless of his background and beliefs, he was sitting with a small child and was a stupid and selfish thing to do as it could potentially have put them in a difficult position. 
  • Options
    A few words from a Happy Fanny after watching our boys with the egg shaped ball fall at the final hurdle following a brave , committed performance against the Saffers. 

Our first match for a couple of weeks & what a sweet return Home ! 

Apart from the almost perfect 2nd half , the 4 ( yes FOUR! ) superb goals, the clean sheet & the pride at seeing every one of our lads being clapped off at the final whistle and EARNING IT, my favourite takeaway from today came from our pocket rocket.

The sheer exuberance shown by our Alfie when he scored and when he leapt out of the tunnel , was really special & warmed my heart that a player who loved & was loved by the Cheltenham faithful just a few months ago, could show such utter, unbridled joy at playing his part in this win. Such a hard working guy who never seems to give up & I'd think his selfless work rate is respected by his team mates. I appreciate a player who wears his heart on his sleeve & who clearly shares the highs & lows with those who pay to come & watch his team. 

So, onwards to Lincoln, on "a high" with hopes of extending the current run of success before the Trotters come to town next Saturday. Confidence must be growing in the squad although I'd think the gaffer will ensure they keep their feet well & truly on the ground. And, in addition, something on a more personal level is growing too......

The Tingle is definitely back ! 
    I bet Mr Fanny’s happy about that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jackie Collins comes to the Post Match thread... Oooah Fanny!
  • Options
    TEL said:
    My first visit to the Valley this season. Lacklustre first half where Reading were much better than us.....impressed by Craig, Abbey and Azeez. Second half once we got into the game we looked unplayable. Stand out goal was TC, had a wonderful view from the bottom corner of the Covered End besides the East Stand.

Whilst I was here last year we beat Plymouth 5-1, Exeter 4-2 and Portsmouth 3-0.....anyone want to chip in to prolong my stay? :) 
    I’ll buy you a pint at the RAH. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hadn’t realised that we were so well positioned in the league. Two games in hand and just four points away from the playoffs. 
    All we need is to discover our away form. 
    That went well! 😂