Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Reading | Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    I have been giving Apples a relatively low score because of our 1st half performance, but I now wonder if his tactics is to have a defensive 45 then bring on the subs and change to an attacking formation?
          🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
          Wake up and give the man a chance,
          He is a very good potential Charlton winner 👍👍👍
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Can we actually ban NabyWonderland from player marks? This is too much. I can't stand it 
    Trust me, if there was some way to ban certain users from specific threads only, we'd have done it AGES ago, and that'd be a long way down the list. :)
    While we're on the subject of the player marks though, @Redhenry and @wmcf123 I noticed you marked AMB somewhat lower than most other people. What was it about his performance that was causing you concern? I didn't see the game, and the TV highlights only showed a single involvement of his, which was a low save in front of the Covered End.
  • Options
    Once again I say…

Gutted for Chucks. Even more gutted for us.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Very good win, the last 35 minutes we were unstoppable, with TC’s introduction lifting us a level immediately after half time. Reading were kind of honest but the truth was they were lacking creativity and were ultimately a house of cards.
    If we can win against Lincoln on Tuesday then it will be a true consolidation of the current set up. Hope Chucks isn’t too bad.
  • Options
    In the last two home games, we have seen two excellent goals from outside the box from CBT and TC.
  • Options
    TC and Assiimwe have to start from now on.
    They're not doing badly finishing games.

Exactly this, having a strong bench is key and these boys have been changing games consistently off the bench, no reason to change it after a 4-0 win.
  • Options
    TC and Assiimwe have to start from now on.
    They're not doing badly finishing games.

I don't think I'd change a thing.
  • Options
    A few words from a Happy Fanny after watching our boys with the egg shaped ball fall at the final hurdle following a brave , committed performance against the Saffers. 

Our first match for a couple of weeks & what a sweet return Home ! 

Apart from the almost perfect 2nd half , the 4 ( yes FOUR! ) superb goals, the clean sheet & the pride at seeing every one of our lads being clapped off at the final whistle and EARNING IT, my favourite takeaway from today came from our pocket rocket.

The sheer exuberance shown by our Alfie when he scored and when he leapt out of the tunnel , was really special & warmed my heart that a player who loved & was loved by the Cheltenham faithful just a few months ago, could show such utter, unbridled joy at playing his part in this win. Such a hard working guy who never seems to give up & I'd think his selfless work rate is respected by his team mates. I appreciate a player who wears his heart on his sleeve & who clearly shares the highs & lows with those who pay to come & watch his team. 

So, onwards to Lincoln, on "a high" with hopes of extending the current run of success before the Trotters come to town next Saturday. Confidence must be growing in the squad although I'd think the gaffer will ensure they keep their feet well & truly on the ground. And, in addition, something on a more personal level is growing too......

The Tingle is definitely back ! 
    And long may it continue, Fanny!  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Off_it said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Great performance and so far it’s humble pie time for me regarding Appleton. Need to get Dobson and CBT tied up to new deals ASAP - big, big test for the new ownership. 

I’m surprised not more has been said about Chuks. At this stage, starting the guy is negligence and if he’s out for a substantial amount of time then that falls on Appleton. Infuriating.
    "Negligence"?

For a football manager to play a player who has been declared fit?

The definition in your dictionary must differ from those in a normal English dictionary.
    Negligence: "failure to give enough care or attention to someone or something that you are responsible for".

Look, the use of the word 'negligence' may be a tad extreme but in my view Appleton starting Chuks doesn't 'give enough care or attention'  to his extraordinary history of injuries, even if he was declared fit.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Impossible to know the circumstances involved in the decision making.
    That includes Chucks input.
    Either way, to accuse Appleton of negligence seems a bit over the top.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only 3 teams above us have played the same amount of games. If we win both those games we're on 24 points and that's all we can hope for. I don't care other teams do this early on, so long as we keep pace for 2ppg. 

We're currently on target for 69 points. That will take us to about 1.71 PPG or 78 PTS.
    One of our games in hand is against Derby, which we play on Feb 27th next year. The table will look a lot different by then & teams around us might have games in hand on us. 

Get the Wigan match out of the way & by then we would have played 3 more matches. Let's see where we are on 1st Nov shall we

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great result and performance in the end, have learned to put games out of sight when we know we can. 

First half really was that bad, an utter dull fest with no quality and a real lack of drive, Reading had the better chances and didn't look as bad as their stats had shown, the forward coach that molded Simon church's career lives on. 

Second half, and the first 10 were much of the same with the Reading  kids looking to grab a much needed away win, but, then, we scored. After the Aneke opener it was one way traffic with 3 more well worked goals from us.

Changing the right side for a second half shake up is looking like an Appleton tactic, with introducing both Asiimwe and TC together. 

Shout-out to their Abbey, the young centre back, excellent show from him and will most definitely be moving up the food chain in January. TBF to Reading the youngsters gave a good game of it especially considering their age, inexperience and general issues surrounding the club.

But, it's 4 goals and 3 points to us and we continue looking up!
  • Options
    Not just Reading players suffering from a lack of confidence it seems.  From https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190826

A visit to Charlton next to provide the comedy this weekend. EIGHTEEN games since the last away win and still sporting one of the last remaining 100% records left in the league of ZERO points on the road this season and only TWO to show from the last eighteen league games that the club have turned up for, so it'll soon be one year without an away win on the league.

I'd feel sorry for them, but still too busy keeping an eye on our own recovery.
  • Options
    Flat first half which continued into the 2nd stanza until Aneke’s goal. Excellent going forward after that and punished a Reading side whose confidence flooded out of their bones.

Plenty of goals at home, and now need to show that away from home starting at Lincoln

7 unbeaten now in the league since Holden’s departure 
  • Options
    Readings number 32 is one of the best centre half’s I have seen at the Valley over the last few years and he is only 20 - got to be worth a bid by us - especially if Reading look like they are going down 
  • Options
    Once again I say…

Gutted for Chucks. Even more gutted for us.
    Sorry for Chuks and just a little comment to the idiots behind us moaning about him always being injured. Just remember. If he didn't have injury problems he wouldn't be playing for us.
  • Options
    How nice is it going into a game knowing we're going to score goals? I've no doubt we will concede a few along the way but MA has turned us into a exciting attacking team. 

CBT is in the form of his career, May is the natural goalscorer we've been missing since Taylor and Aneke is championship quality if it wasn't for his injuries. Tupac needs a run in the team after yesterday's cameo and Leaburn needs to start ahead of Aneke purely because of fitness concerns. 

Dobbo and Watson hold the team together in the middle of the park and I was pleasantly surprised to see Fraser doing the dirty work I didn't think he was capable of when he came on

I still think Ness should be in the team ahead of Hector but that's personal preference and I can see why he's playing Thomas at left back because CBT doesn't defend we need someone solid there. 

A shout out to Reading's number 32 the centre back. Strong, fast, great in the challenge and most importantly left footed. He won't be playing in this league for long
  • Options
    I’m really disappointed by the criticism here of MA re both Chuks and Tedic. Maybe I’m influenced by Curbs and Brownie, but they do have some advantages over the critics on here…

Players need and want to play. Strikers need to score goals. There were a few people on here in recent months suggesting Chuks was an exception. I would say that his performance and demeanour since he reappeared shows that was a load of bollocks. He also looked better physically balanced than when he tried to return a year ago. But surely the aim is to get a player to the point where he believes he can do the full 90, otherwise he will become a passenger in his own head. At some point, if it all goes well when he comes on second half, you have to start him. Especially when he needs a goal to get that other monkey off his back.

Then there’s Tedic. People are forgetting that they tried to get him in earlier for Holden, when we had the unsustainable situation of only having Alfie May and Dan Kanu. City for whatever reason held off. Then we got him, and in a situation no one dared hope for, both Miles and Chuks got themselves back into contention. In the meantime Tedic shows an excellent work ethic and an intelligence that shows his football pedigree. TC, people forget, had also been injured, and MA rightly worries about the team being too young. It seems to me that in those circs it’s understandable what he has tried with Tedic and Tedic deserves some credit for giving it his best shot. It’s nothing to do with City demanding this and that although they wont be impressed if he never gets more than 10 mins at the end of a game. MA knows thst he will need him. Alfie will pick up another ludicrous yellow card for “looking at the ref in a funny way” or some such new nonsense, Chuks will be out for a few weeks, and some other no-mark is going to try and break Miles leg. Tedic will get his chance, and MA needs him match-sharp and feeling psrt of the squad. Tedic is a good footballer with a good attitude. Give both him and MA a break, will ya?
    Excellent post. Spot on.