Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Reading | Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Now Chuks will be out for some weeks, I expect we'll start with Leaburn and TC as part of the front 3. And with Tedic to come on to replace Leaburn we only have C Campbell as a replacement for both wings.

Although personally I'd prefer Fraser in the midfield 3, and May somewhere up front. We can't be having the riches of both Fraser and Camara on the bench.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Only 3 teams above us have played the same amount of games. If we win both those games we're on 24 points and that's all we can hope for. I don't care other teams do this early on, so long as we keep pace for 2ppg. 

We're currently on target for 69 points. That will take us to about 1.71 PPG or 78 PTS.
    One of our games in hand is against Derby, which we play on Feb 27th next year. The table will look a lot different by then & teams around us might have games in hand on us. 

Get the Wigan match out of the way & by then we would have played 3 more matches. Let's see where we are on 1st Nov shall we

TBH, I’m waiting for the 11th after we have played our perennial whipping boys.  If we can, again, derail Pompey then I will think that play-offs might be on.  Even if we lose, the nature of that performance will be telling
  • Options
    The nature of modern football seems to be that you only ever get bis of games where the action happens rather than 90 minutes so we seem to have to sit through 45 minutes of treading water before the real stuff starts - tedic in particular is out there as nothing more than a fluffer for the real weapons to then come on - so be it, at least we now get better as games go on rather than the opposite which has been the case under the last 2 managers - it felt like they were just told not to concede in the first 45 mins and blimey was it dull. Agree re their centre back, he'd be a great addition in January but guessing he will be going championship or above - its all starting to come together now and the second half of the last 2 home games have been brilliant and if i can watch that every fortnight, that'll do me - might even jump onto the away day bandwagon if things continue like this - hope chucks is okay and just a minor strain as our attacking threats are looking like promotion quality to me and with fraser and camara back we're looking strong - the new regime appear to have delivered after all !!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    There were times over the last two or three years when watching the youth and U21’s play, and comparing them with the first team, when I genuinely thought it wouldn’t be a disaster for the first team to be replaced by ‘our own’. A bit of fantasy, a bit of wishful thinking.
    Clearly some senior ‘outside’ players like CBT, Alfie May, or Dobbo are invaluable, but I am delighted by the way that generation is coming through together, a proper Band of Brothers with sometimes telepathic understanding of each other.
    It is tempting to rush to judgement, but if our first team included AMB, Ness, Asimwe, Mitchell, Elerewe, Anderson, Campbell, Leaburn and Kanu, would it be such a disaster, or a celebration of Charlton’s true USP at this time in our history? 
    I am aware that introducing players in the third division is a different kettle of Haddock’s to introducing players into the Premier League, but still…..
    You can supplement that group with Bower, Bakrin, Chin, Adigun and some others whose names escape me at the moment. 
    The highest paid employee at Charlton should be Steve Avory, he is one special bloke.
    I agree with you that we have some very good youngsters coming through. 
    But playing too many of them at the same time will do them more harm than good. 
    They have to be introduced slowly. 
    Playing too many of them at the same time cost Holden his job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Readings number 32 is one of the best centre half’s I have seen at the Valley over the last few years and he is only 20 - got to be worth a bid by us - especially if Reading look like they are going down 
    His performance reminded me of a young Paul Parker who had a brilliant game against us at Selhurst Park in 1986. He seemed to be in the way of everything.
    He went on to have a fantastic career.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed watching that game. 1st half was a little turgid, but 2nd half WOW what a transformation. 4 very good goals, CBT on fire, Hector was magnificent all game, L Watson very good as was Jones.
    An undefeated run and the chance to extend this on Tuesday. Well done to the team/squad and Appleton....long may this continue!
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Go on. Throw silly money at it. You know you want to.
    Should be on the phone to Reading this morning offering £5m for their centre half. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Poor first half, excellent second. But for the Reading subs after our third we may have got a few more as they were mentally shattered at that point.

Thought AMB produced some very decent saves first half and punched a few crosses away but his aerial strength on crosses still needs improving.

Hector was excellent and Jones very good too, alongside him which was great to see - Reading really should have got at least 2 goals though so more work needed in the defence. 

TC coming on was part of the catalyst for our improvement, but his first 15 mins also showed how he needs to strengthen up and improve on the defensive side to become a regular starter, beaten too easily on a couple of occasions and Dobbo ended up going to have a word with him on about 60mins.

Leaburn is some player, Assimwe is going to go places.  If CBT can continue to improve his crossing and distribution he could still go higher than the Championship; the first half he was so frustrating; the second unplayable.  

I hope Aneke is back soon, I was worried starting him - it just never works and when he starts he never makes it past 2/3 games.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He's actually great isn't he? What a smart and pleasant bloke 
    Same thing was said about Dean Holden.
    Agree it is still too early to declare Appleton the saviour. We’re still in new manager bounce territory and the true test of a manager is how the handle a bad run or loss of form. Can they arrest a slump or does the ship just slowly keep on sinking? It’s what gave Curbs such longevity because he could consistently “stop the rot”. 

What I will say for Appleton though, if we’re comparing him to Holden, is that he is much more convincing when talking about tactics and how individual players can improve. Holden talked very well about personality and the emotional side of the game but he never convinced that he could regularly set up a side in a way that might out think and opposing manager. 
    I really don’t think we’re in new manager bounce territory. Appleton is vastly more experienced than any of Jackson, Garner and Holden. He’s also had the benefit of key players returning from injury. That said, it’s clear he knows what he wants and is able to get that across to the players. It’s not bounce we’re experiencing, it’s good management. I’ve said all along that this season we’ll be a slow burn and make a steady climb up the league after the dreadful start. I’m still not convinced our defence will give us enough clean sheets especially away from home to achieve top six. I think it’ll run close though.
  • Options
    Firstly, well done the Covered End upper for calling out the terrorist supporter who shouted out during the minutes silence. They was another such moron in the East Stand.

On to the game.

Two teams playing poorly in the first half.  

Reading happy to sit deep and rely on set pieces which nearly worked for them.  

Our clean sheet was welcome but we still looked vulnerable at corners.  Maybe expecting the opposition to have zero chances is unrealistic but if Reading forwards could finish they might not be 2nd bottom. Then again their problems are deeper than just scoring goals 

Once Aneke scored it just felt the extra space would mean more chances for us and so it was.

Game over at 2 - 0 but how nice to cruise to 3 then 4 - 0 rather than be biting our nails at 2 - 1 as traditionally it has been for many years.

So much quality and attacking options from the bench, less so in defence but Hector is improving (only got rolled once to allow a good chance which was fluffed) and won a lot in the air, Jones solid, Thomas too. AMB made one good early save low down but had little else to test him bar some high crosses he lost.  He did make some strong punched clearances and seems more willing to come for the ball.

Four strikers scored. Feel sorry for Tedic as not a winger but Campbell (did I mention I and friends sponsor his shirt? Maybe CL could revive its shirt sponsorships) is the real deal and brings pace, passing and now power finishing.

Interesting that C Campbell and Abankwah are not featuring. I wonder if their loans can be cancelled by us in January and if so will they be? 

Same question regarding Tadic but I guess that will depend on Aneke's fitness and Kanu.  Cherry on the cake to hear as we left the ground that he'd scored four.

But tough run of games coming up and those  players currently on the fringes could be vital with the Saturday/Tuesday schedule.

Now at better than two points per game under Appleton and top half of the table, albeit on goal difference. We're not in the play-offs but they are now at least in sight.

LLLBH
    Well said Henry, especially your opening lines.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I'm really starting to like this team and Alfie May is the first favourite player I've had in some time. 
    Much as I Iove how much May seems to enjoy playlng, like a fan who has won a play for a day ticket, I have a Shirt with Dobson on the back. In my 50's , having worn over 15 replica shirts, his name is the only one that has made it onto the back.

Please stay Dobbo. I believe you can achieve a status that money can't buy!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Or a family member
  • Options
    Clean sheet win baby 
  • Options
    I'm really starting to like this team and Alfie May is the first favourite player I've had in some time. 
    Much as I Iove how much May seems to enjoy playlng, like a fan who has won a play for a day ticket, I have a Shirt with Dobson on the back. In my 50's , having worn over 15 replica shirts, his name is the only one that has made it onto the back.

Please stay Dobbo. I believe you can achieve a status that money can't buy!
    He is absolutely the beating heart of the team. He is so good and so consistently putting in important tackles and blocks and then spraying passes that allow our front men to shine that, it seems to me, most people simply take him for granted. On top of all that,  he is developing into an excellent captain who encourages and marshals everyone around him. Yesterday, it was only after he gave him a gee up after he had made a mistake that T Campbell's game burst into life. For the last two seasons, for me at least, he has already achieved "the status that money can't buy".
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    After Xmas will be the test. We should expect a raid on our best players, Dobson, CBT and Leaburn.
    If the owners respond either by  fending off buyers or by having ready prepared alternatives to come in then we may be in business.

If we lose key players with no adequate replacements then we will know we are still in the s**t.
  • Options
    World class save from AMB kept us in it.

*here we go*
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He's actually great isn't he? What a smart and pleasant bloke 
    Same thing was said about Dean Holden.
    Agree it is still too early to declare Appleton the saviour. We’re still in new manager bounce territory and the true test of a manager is how the handle a bad run or loss of form. Can they arrest a slump or does the ship just slowly keep on sinking? It’s what gave Curbs such longevity because he could consistently “stop the rot”. 

What I will say for Appleton though, if we’re comparing him to Holden, is that he is much more convincing when talking about tactics and how individual players can improve. Holden talked very well about personality and the emotional side of the game but he never convinced that he could regularly set up a side in a way that might out think and opposing manager. 
    I really don’t think we’re in new manager bounce territory. Appleton is vastly more experienced than any of Jackson, Garner and Holden. He’s also had the benefit of key players returning from injury. That said, it’s clear he knows what he wants and is able to get that across to the players. It’s not bounce we’re experiencing, it’s good management. I’ve said all along that this season we’ll be a slow burn and make a steady climb up the league after the dreadful start. I’m still not convinced our defence will give us enough clean sheets especially away from home to achieve top six. I think it’ll run close though.
    I'm as excited as most but
    1) we've only played 4 away games(2 under MA). Some teams have only played 4 home games.We've played 8(4 under MA ), ...(1 Pearce)
    2)How many 'contenders" have we played? Peterborough and Oxford were under Holden.The fixtures have been favourable for MA.(and availability of players)
    3) I am thoroughly entertained by the goals we are scoring, but the performances have been not been so when we are not scoring- ie offering up easy chances to the opposition, poor passing, lack of imagination/creativity. It's not even one good half and one bad half, it's more 75mins bad ,sloppy, disorganised, lop-sided play and 15 mins exciting bright stuff. MA gets great praise for starting the wrong players and then correcting it later on by bringing on talent.

It's an encouraging start in terms of results, but I want to see a more competent/composed/steely 90 mins. Still the bounce.
    Work in progress
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    After Xmas will be the test. We should expect a raid on our best players, Dobson, CBT and Leaburn.
    If the owners respond either by  fending off buyers or by having ready prepared alternatives to come in then we may be in business.

If we lose key players with no adequate replacements then we will know we are still in the s**t.
    It’s a very relevant post. I’m sure the club know pretty much where they stand with Dobson and CBT regarding the possibility of re signing and as MA has told us preliminaries have begun, so I expect that if the club are not confident of getting their signatures then Scott will be looking for replacements already. With Leaburn I think it’s slightly different and depends on whether or not a really significant bid comes in. If we get something like a £5 million bid then all bets are off but in any case I’d like to think we’d get him back for the remainder of the season and would also depend on where we are in the league.