Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jim Rodwell & Andy Scott at Bromley Addicks 7 December

123457»

Comments

• edited December 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    supaclive said:

That net spend is sadly nonsense
    I'm just saying if you think spending £5-6m per year to tread water makes sense, I'm arguing it doesn't 

Ipswich went out and hired the best manager available.  They bought a lot of players.

It didn't work.

They learnt.

Have we?  Will we?  Holden, then Appleton and our last two windows says not.

We all hope it does.  I can't stick up for the current set up.  I'm not asking for them to be removed- to sell up and bugger off, but I have doubts they'll deliver their rhetoric.

We can all agree to disagree.   We all want the best for the club.

Ipswich's owners decided they'd spend money.  Ours haven't really.  Not since splashing out £12m + to acquire the club.

Kirk, Aneke etc were already here when they bought us.  It has saddled them with problems - but they knew all about those problems when they bought us and oversaw the window of Jan 22.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/44710/town-announce-%C3%8212.6m-loss

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/ipswich-town-finances-202122#:~:text=Profit/(Loss) 2021/22&text=Town's pre-tax loss basically,m to £2.3m.

£6.4m losses doubled to £12.6m

So, um.... you were considerably wrong.  They spent - is it working.  If they get into the Premier League it's worth it.

Our owners are worth a lot.  If you asked them  - spend (lose) £19m for 2 years BUT be knocking on the door of the Premier League would you do it.

I'm guessing they'd say yes.

Spend probably £10m over 2 years and going nowhere in League 1?   I guess they won't be so enamoured.

We don't know that that is actually true, methven may have spread that rumour via his friends in low places. The truth is yet to be revealed.
    Was confirmed by Rodwell last night that was the price (in that range)
    I remember southall "saying"/lying that they had bought The Valley & SL. Not suggesting this lot are anywhere near southalls crowd but I would be amazed if anyone paid sandgaard 10-12 million
    All we can do.in this instance is take in the info and I presume it will come out in the accounts at some point. If it doesn't further questions can be asked.
    The purchase price doesn’t have to be declared but it will likely involve a transfer of the debt obligations, which will.
  • Richard J said:
    Thanks for all of the comments. I like to hear the feedback from these events.

My fear is that a bad December could trigger another three or four month malaise which would further dispirit the fan base. My hope is that we can be within five points of a playoff place before the end of January and a couple of new additions could boost a late surge. After the exits from all the Cups it is the only thing we have left. However I am sceptical.
    Largely agree. If we are nowhere crowds will get even worse. We need to be within reach of the playoffs come the business end of the season even if we don't end up reaching them just to keep engagement going.
  • We have relied on Alfie's goals to be where we are. 
    Surely he will have a spell without scoring, if this was to happen I can see us ending up floundering in mid table.
    Of course, SE7 might surprise us and bring in some decent players in January and we could make a push for the play-offs.
    I have not seen much to fill me with confidence so I'll predict us finishing around 12th.
  • We have relied on Alfie's goals to be where we are. 

Surely he will have a spell without scoring, if this was to happen I can see us ending up floundering in mid table.

Of course, SE7 might surprise us and bring in some decent players in January and we could make a push for the play-offs.
    I have not seen much to fill me with confidence so I'll predict us finishing around 12th.
    Your first 2 paragraphs was what I was trying to say last week begore getting shouted down with...." you said for years we need a 20 goal a season striker & now we've got one you moan that others aren't scoring...."

We need goals from all over the pitch. May & CBT have scored over half of our goals this season. Our midfielders are woeful at scoring. We need them, plus others, to be chipping in with 4,5,6 goals a season. Plus central defenders getting the odd one from set pieces.

I'm looking forward to January. From what I've read on here we should be bringing in a number of permanent players rather than loans. 
  • agreed - whatever way you look at it, both Leaburn and Aneke are injury prone - when both are available its probably just about ok - when only leaburn is available its not ok - we need a Ladapo or similar and have done since the summer and before - someone who can do the job and stay fit week in week out  
  • DOUCHER said:
    agreed - whatever way you look at it, both Leaburn and Aneke are injury prone - when both are available its probably just about ok - when only leaburn is available its not ok - we need a Ladapo or similar and have done since the summer and before - someone who can do the job and stay fit week in week out  
    Ladapo for Camara would be good 👍 
  • Ladapo has the physicalty we need so should be a priority IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• i’m surprised that nobody apparently asked about progress in the fitness/medical area given that the current injury list suggests there hasn’t been any so far.

After all, who was it who said in summer “There’s no point in spending money on good players if we cannot keep them fit and available” ?  
    I voiced an opinion about this.The fact that we continue to sign injured players such as Camara, Taylor & Edun and the fact that we only have one decent defender (who is strong at defending) in Jones.
    Scott joked that I'd be inspirational down the training ground and managed to deflect away from the question with some audience laughter. I rattled him and I don't believe he really answered the question so went rather defensive (in my opinion).
    I can't help wondering if Scott is still laughing at my observation about signing injured players and only having one strong defender in Lloyd Jones. 
    He's the pro, what do the fans know :#
  • i’m surprised that nobody apparently asked about progress in the fitness/medical area given that the current injury list suggests there hasn’t been any so far.

After all, who was it who said in summer “There’s no point in spending money on good players if we cannot keep them fit and available” ?  
    I voiced an opinion about this.The fact that we continue to sign injured players such as Camara, Taylor & Edun and the fact that we only have one decent defender (who is strong at defending) in Jones.
    Scott joked that I'd be inspirational down the training ground and managed to deflect away from the question with some audience laughter. I rattled him and I don't believe he really answered the question so went rather defensive (in my opinion).
    I can't help wondering if Scott is still laughing at my observation about signing injured players and only having one strong defender in Lloyd Jones. 
    They must know we need to improve defensively and signing a few defenders is part of that? If not we’re going nowhere. Hopefully he didn’t agree because he doesn’t want to be seen publicly criticising the squad.