Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jim Rodwell & Andy Scott at Bromley Addicks 7 December

Comments

• Please can someone ensure they're asked about the upcoming parking restrictions and whether the club has had any positive discussions with RBG. Thanks .
    The club has made many representations and had meetings with the council and are now awaiting the outcome.

The club have no alternative parking solutions at present stating that it would cost the club money to implement.

Rodwell seemed surprised imo, when I suggested that the council's proposals could cost the club £1M pa.

(2,000 off each gate @ £20 = £40K.
    £40K x 25 games = £1M crudely). 
    I’d say that would be an underestimate. I think it could be a lot more than a mil . 
  • SOTF said:
    Not sure I agree that making Kirk captain and playing him as a holding midfielder so Dobson can play centre back is a good idea but Scott and Appleton are both professionals.

Excellent night, about 70 there, @Covered End asked all the, sensible, questions people on here wanted asked and he got answers. CharltonTV, parking, loans, ambition, academy all asked about.

On the tweets above Scott said they "didn't want players who wanted to play for Charlton in league one"  in the sense of not just that, they want players who aspire to play higher with us or someone else, not for example, to use @Covered End 's example Ben Watson

Lots of interesting stuff and insights into their thinking which I can't be bothered to post tonight :smile:

As ever, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
    Hang on, are you having us on mate, 

Did someone seriously suggest Dobson at centre back and Charlie Kirk as a midfielder today? 

Have I whooshed here, cause my heart rate has just gone through the roof 
    I’m terrified I might be being double whooshed.

• KettsJohn said:
    My question would be "why does our club get fucked every time by so called genuine owners". This has been happening for too long and it's not fair on our supporters. We deserve better. I don't expect premiership football but integrity from owners. 
    The owners agree and are in this for the long term. 
  • Can you ask what players brought in, in the summer, loans and permanent have been a success?

And what assurance can you give that any players brought in, in January, will actually be able to upgrade the 1st team rather than just squad fillers?
    That first question will be difficult to answer as it means slagging people off possibly plus it's subjective. 

Could ask who's fucking idea it was to bring tedic in and whether they know what he has on the man city owners? 
    They acknowledge that many of the signings haven't worked out.

They blame that on them only taking over just before the season started and not having time to recruit as they would have wanted.

They admit they had to take a chance on some of the signings through lack of time. 

They want to recruit early and prefer signings to loans. 
    well lets hope that come January 1st we have 2 new strikers with physical presence through the door - coz until we do, we won't be winning many games 
  • @Covered End As you was there tonight, do you feel positive about the clubs future or do you have a feeling it could be all bollocks again?  Or is it a case of waiting till the transfer window to see what they do in that yet again.  Really hoping they sign a good few quality signing's in Jan as I'm really dreading this month. Pretty sure we are gonna have a terrible December and the ground is gonna turn toxic again. Hope I'm wrong of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• KettsJohn said:
    My question would be "why does our club get fucked every time by so called genuine owners". This has been happening for too long and it's not fair on our supporters. We deserve better. I don't expect premiership football but integrity from owners. 
    The owners agree and are in this for the long term. 

Blimey. Are you buying this CE? It's exactly what Sandgarrd kept insisting, until he wasn't
  • They said we need strengthening in most areas and that is the aim of the owners. 
    Although this is not possible in one window. 

They also agree we need strong, fit players capable of playing 50 games per season.

The trouble is all clubs want these players. 
    Clever and/or media trained in how to state what they'd ideally like, rather than what the realistic plans and expectations are.
  • Can someone ask Andy Scott a straightforward question - Are we going to be able to spend money on transfer fees ( not loans or frees) in the Jan window. 
    Answered yes. 
    Owners want to move club forward at every opportunity.
    Aspiring to top 10 Championship in short/medium term & Premier League thereafter. 
    I wish they had just answered yes to the spending money on transfer fees. That has given me a real lift.
    I'm filing the rest under "Bollocks"
  • edited December 2023
    Can someone ask Andy Scott a straightforward question - Are we going to be able to spend money on transfer fees ( not loans or frees) in the Jan window. 
    Answered yes. 
    Owners want to move club forward at every opportunity.
    Aspiring to top 10 Championship in short/medium term & Premier League thereafter. 
    & how long before we're playing in Europe ? Did sandgaard leave his note book behind ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Can you ask what players brought in, in the summer, loans and permanent have been a success?

And what assurance can you give that any players brought in, in January, will actually be able to upgrade the 1st team rather than just squad fillers?
    That first question will be difficult to answer as it means slagging people off possibly plus it's subjective. 

Could ask who's fucking idea it was to bring tedic in and whether they know what he has on the man city owners? 
    They acknowledge that many of the signings haven't worked out.

They blame that on them only taking over just before the season started and not having time to recruit as they would have wanted.

They admit they had to take a chance on some of the signings through lack of time. 

They want to recruit early and prefer signings to loans. 
    But they & Scott had been lurking around for months, was there no forward planning for if/when they took over. Wasn't it 6 weeks or so between Leaburn getting injured & Alfie being signed & even then only at Holdens insistence ? I've no doubt that come February we'll be told that they tried to sign better quality players but it's just so difficult in the January window. 
    Scott said we would've signed May a month earlier, if they had taken over a month earlier. 
  • Please can someone ensure they're asked about the upcoming parking restrictions and whether the club has had any positive discussions with RBG. Thanks .
    The club has made many representations and had meetings with the council and are now awaiting the outcome.

The club have no alternative parking solutions at present stating that it would cost the club money to implement.

Rodwell seemed surprised imo, when I suggested that the council's proposals could cost the club £1M pa.

(2,000 off each gate @ £20 = £40K.
    £40K x 25 games = £1M crudely). 
    Surprised if he seemed surprised considering those were findings published after CAST survey that the club is fully aware of and has publicly acknowledged as helpful in their representations to the Council.

https://www.castrust.org/2023/11/parking-restrictions-could-cost-cafc-1-million/

Perhaps he wasn't surprised, but just pissed off with the reminder. 
    He certainly didn't say he agreed with my suggestion. 
  • They said we need strengthening in most areas and that is the aim of the owners. 
    Although this is not possible in one window. 

They also agree we need strong, fit players capable of playing 50 games per season.

The trouble is all clubs want these players. 
    Nicholas said:
    @Covered End As you was there tonight, do you feel positive about the clubs future or do you have a feeling it could be all bollocks again?  Or is it a case of waiting till the transfer window to see what they do in that yet again.  Really hoping they sign a good few quality signing's in Jan as I'm really dreading this month. Pretty sure we are gonna have a terrible December and the ground is gonna turn toxic again. Hope I'm wrong of course.
    I don't know, no fans know. 
    I believe what Rodwell & Scott said, but it's not as easy as playing Football Manager.

I'm hopeful that we'll be in the promotion hunt next season, but can't see how they can do enough in the January window to achieve promotion this season.
    Although we could sneak 6th & win the play offs (don't think we will). 
    Appreciate your time to reply here CE mate and for asking the questions, nice one.

Just want to highlight two things you have said though. You say every club wants these players, which is true, but there are thousands of footballers to choose from, its hard to believe we can't find better players in the same league or below or different league's than what we have. To me that's a huge issue if we can't identify players that will improve us. 

Secondly I do truly believe it's as simple as football manager. Every player has a price and every club (at our level) will listen to offers. It all comes down to money. It's not easy when you have tight owners, that I will agree on. A few million spent smart could change the trajectory of this club. Based on your info and what I've read on social media, they're already planting the seeds that they won't spend money unless 'the right player come along' how many times have we been fed that now? 

There are some outstanding talents in this league who are free agents next summer, I wish they'd just be more honest and say they don't have the cash and are looking to essentially fluke promotion rather than put down the money required to get it done (typically) 

Appreciate your time and I'm venting at the situation not yourself, just feels all too familiar 
    Don't know where you've got a lot of that from.
    Certainly not from what the management have said.
    You simply don't believe them and that is fine, because I'm of the opinion that all we can do is wait and see.