Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jim Rodwell & Andy Scott at Bromley Addicks 7 December

Comments

• They said we need strengthening in most areas and that is the aim of the owners. 
    Although this is not possible in one window. 

They also agree we need strong, fit players capable of playing 50 games per season.

The trouble is all clubs want these players. 
    Nicholas said:
    @Covered End As you was there tonight, do you feel positive about the clubs future or do you have a feeling it could be all bollocks again?  Or is it a case of waiting till the transfer window to see what they do in that yet again.  Really hoping they sign a good few quality signing's in Jan as I'm really dreading this month. Pretty sure we are gonna have a terrible December and the ground is gonna turn toxic again. Hope I'm wrong of course.
    I don't know, no fans know. 
    I believe what Rodwell & Scott said, but it's not as easy as playing Football Manager.

I'm hopeful that we'll be in the promotion hunt next season, but can't see how they can do enough in the January window to achieve promotion this season.
    Although we could sneak 6th & win the play offs (don't think we will). 
    Appreciate your time to reply here CE mate and for asking the questions, nice one.

Just want to highlight two things you have said though. You say every club wants these players, which is true, but there are thousands of footballers to choose from, its hard to believe we can't find better players in the same league or below or different league's than what we have. To me that's a huge issue if we can't identify players that will improve us. 

Secondly I do truly believe it's as simple as football manager. Every player has a price and every club (at our level) will listen to offers. It all comes down to money. It's not easy when you have tight owners, that I will agree on. A few million spent smart could change the trajectory of this club. Based on your info and what I've read on social media, they're already planting the seeds that they won't spend money unless 'the right player come along' how many times have we been fed that now? 

There are some outstanding talents in this league who are free agents next summer, I wish they'd just be more honest and say they don't have the cash and are looking to essentially fluke promotion rather than put down the money required to get it done (typically) 

Appreciate your time and I'm venting at the situation not yourself, just feels all too familiar 
    This.

Every player has a price........its just are we (they) willing to pay that price. Or put it another way, what is the price of not succeeding?  Of not getting promotion next season (this season is gone imo). Teams like Orient, Wycombe & Fleetwood (to name just 3) are probably "happy" being in League 1 and think paying £1m for a player unrealistic. However, teams like Ipswich & Sunderland think differently & realise you have to push the boat out to get success. 

• Well, we have had the words (again). Let's now see the action.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for posting CE and Henry. Very interesting 
  • Can someone ask Andy Scott a straightforward question - Are we going to be able to spend money on transfer fees ( not loans or frees) in the Jan window. 
    Answered yes. 
    Owners want to move club forward at every opportunity.
    Aspiring to top 10 Championship in short/medium term & Premier League thereafter. 
    ~Thanks CE - Asked and answered - all we can do now is wait and see whether it happens. I know most people on here tend to be cynical about the owners intentions but I have never believed that the new owners have spent £12m just to lose another £5-7m every year in League 1. 
  • Thanks @Covered End for all the posts

Remember he's passing on highlights of what was said immediately after the meeting so as to give people a feel for what was said.

He's not necessarily endorsing what was said and there was a lot more detail.

Don't shoot the messenger 

Rodwell praised what CAST had done on the parking and his response to the potential £1m lost was a mock groan an "Don't depress me".

As for it's as simple as football manager that really is silly.

Scott went into a lot of detail about how he almost becomes a "stalker" when looking to sign players, checking their social media to see if they post about football or going out drinking, speaking to coaches and players who've worked with them, have they moved area before, etc etc.

There is a lot more that I'll post when I can.

I remain to be convinced but what was SAID made sense and wasn't Sandgaard style European football in five years eg aim to be among the top 30 clubs In the county and build from there. 

The stated level of engagement of the  owners and their willingness to invest was a positive. Yes, again it's just words so far but JR did respond to @Athletico Charlton's question about the sale price by saying yes, it was  around £10 to £12m and it was cash up front. 

I'll say it again, come to the meetings and hear for yourselves. You'll get a much better feel for way things are put than on here 

In other news the raffle raised £350 so more than we paid for the sponsorship so the football club got money and we have  cash in the bank to pay the miserable moaning sod who runs the RBL club who I had a full and frank exchange of views with, @Sage was there,  and who then spent the evening moaning to all our members at the bar about us not putting the chairs back!!

Other than that a good night and thanks to all the committee for organising, fans for attending, Jim and Andy for coming, especially Jim as he really wasn't well and Tom Rubashow and @Tracey for organising.
    Thanks again for another good evening and will definitely attend the next meeting.

I’ll also be looking forward to my Appleton signed shirt which I won in the raffle 
  • Thanks @Covered End and Henry for all the posts. Good communication from the club and it’s important to get these important issues on the record so we can make a fair judgment in the future.

Accountability is important and Andy Scott must know that a big improvements in recruitment is needed in January and this summer if he’s to retain his position.
  • edited December 2023
    sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:
    sam3110 said:
    "A few million" @Braziliance mate are you in cloud Cuckoo land? No club in their right mind, in League 1, are going to spend "a few million" on players to get out of this league, because regardless of how much you spend you still need the players to gel, to keep fit and to maintain form to make it work. It's simply way too risky and a very quick way to end up losing tens of millions in a couple of seasons and put the entire organisation at risk
    Ipswich did
    Currently working alright for them
    But spending is no guarantee
    However "spending " (losing) a minimum £5-6m a year to tread water in mid table League 1 like we have been doing, isn't a great idea either.

Did they? They sold players to pay for a lot of it. They probably had a net spend between 2-2.5m across their last 2 seasons in League 1, and after the first season, when they signed about 20 players and shipped half of them out after that year, a lot of people were laughing and saying "look at that waste of money".

We've spent money on players in that time, Lavelle, Kirk, May and Taylor all commanded fees amongst others. The issue is the quality of players we signed turned out to be poor. 

It took Ipswich 3 windows to get the squad right, arguably AS and the team haven't had a full window yet to emulate that, and even if you believe they had the time this summer, that's still 2 windows less than Ipswich managed it in. 

People claim Charlton are a nice, patient bunch, but I'd argue it's quite the opposite nowadays.
    Having experienced the failings of past administrations, it's understandable, but I agree. That's the impression I get when coming on here.

I think the strategy of promoting youth from the academy is commendable, but it takes time and is hindered when the main stays of the side aren't dependable, or are lacking in the  leadership qualities to help the youngsters through.

Above all else in January, we need to improve the balance age, experience, and fitness wise. 
  • Macronate said:
    Honestly, I give up with you lot.

You didn't put the chairs back!!!!!!!

How many times do you need to be told?

You promise to put the chairs back and then you don't, all talk and no action.

Let's see what happens at the next meeting.
    Chairs were put back and glasses taken down to the bar. I must admit the 'miserable, moaning, sod' always looks like he's lost a tenner and found a fiver; perhaps it goes with the job?
    Anyway, a very enjoyable evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• I liked Rodwells initial comments about wanting to improve all things at the club.  Sustainability (the environmental type) and our sponsorship with RSK; diversity; women's football (hadn't realised our team are top currently).  I liked the sound of the meeting at The Valley for 240 full time staff about culture and getting motivation etc.  All I have heard about the off-field stuff has impressed and I love the idea of us leading the way on some of these things as we have in the past.

But ultimately success on the field is most important.  I have no more comfort on that after the meeting than I had before. Both are good speakers, my view is that Andy Scott is very intelligent and a good orator but will tell you what you want to hear.

Ultimately, however, he admitted that him and Rodwell were in charge of the Jan '23 window (Penny, Kane, Thomas and Hector in) and were only involved with the summer window after the acquisition of the club went through (ie did not bring in Alfie May) meaning we can thank them for Tedic, Abankwah and Chem Campbell.

I mean that recruitment is just woefully bad.  They blamed the recruitment on the delayed acquisition and said when they arrived there was no infrastructure so they had to start from scratch... Yet that simply can't have been a surprise to them having been around the previous Jan, so why had they not planned better before sealing the acquisition.

Maybe it was simply my personal bias/cynicism towards Scott but I didn't come out with any more faith in him than I did when I went in.

I hope January goes well, I expect CBT and Dobson to be sold, but do think the money will be reinvested.
    Yeah, I'm along the same lines. Another point, not sure if I heard correctly (welcome comments if I got it wrong) but I'm sure I heard Andy Scott say that there was a desire/aspiration (not sure of exact words) to NOT using loan players but to use players contracted to CAFC. (Maybe this needed qualification??) For me it might be an aspiration but is no way realistic unless every L1 club has to do the same. Last year JRS saved  us from a brush with the relegation fight, there are numerous examples where premier league loans make a massive difference to a team. Look at Jacko's season- we lacked the quality  and only had 2 PL loanees that came in Jan and then  featured in one or games max. We struggled that season to mid table.

Also concerned at his comments about the summer recruitment at Nott Forest when they got up to the PL.
    They brought masses of players of dubious quality (imo).
  • sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:
    sam3110 said:
    "A few million" @Braziliance mate are you in cloud Cuckoo land? No club in their right mind, in League 1, are going to spend "a few million" on players to get out of this league, because regardless of how much you spend you still need the players to gel, to keep fit and to maintain form to make it work. It's simply way too risky and a very quick way to end up losing tens of millions in a couple of seasons and put the entire organisation at risk
    Ipswich did
    However "spending " (losing) a minimum £5-6m a year to tread water in mid table League 1 like we have been doing, isn't a great idea either.

Did they? They sold players to pay for a lot of it. They probably had a net spend between 2-2.5m across their last 2 seasons in League 1, and after the first season, when they signed about 20 players and shipped half of them out after that year, a lot of people were laughing and saying "look at that waste of money".

We've spent money on players in that time, Lavelle, Kirk, May and Taylor all commanded fees amongst others. The issue is the quality of players we signed turned out to be poor. 

It took Ipswich 3 windows to get the squad right, arguably AS and the team haven't had a full window yet to emulate that, and even if you believe they had the time this summer, that's still 2 windows less than Ipswich managed it in. 

People claim Charlton are a nice, patient bunch, bit I'd argue it's quite the opposite nowadays
    just checked Swiss Ramble

Ipswich Town. Wages+expenses 2021. £17.4 million  (13.4 wages +4 expenses)
                                                       2022. £26.5 million (£16.4 wages+10 expenses)
     Profit from player sales was £2.3 million and £2.2 million -basically the same each year

Profit/Loss for those years 2021 £6.4 loss, 2022 £12.6 million loss.

Wages/Turnover2022 114% 2021 166% (Covid restricted attendances)

Comment- their expenditure on wages in 2021 is more than double ours in recent years.
  • edited December 2023
    Those sites just guess wages tbf. May be right, or may be way off. Although no doubting Ipswich have spent more than us. 
  • edited December 2023
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Thanks @Covered End for all the posts

Remember he's passing on highlights of what was said immediately after the meeting so as to give people a feel for what was said.

Rodwell praised what CAST had done on the parking and his response to the potential £1m lost was a mock groan an "Don't depress me".

Scott went into a lot of detail about how he almost becomes a "stalker" when looking to sign players, checking their social media to see if they post about football or going out drinking, speaking to coaches and players who've worked with them, have they moved area before, etc etc.

I remain to be convinced but what was SAID made sense and wasn't Sandgaard style European football in five years eg aim to be among the top 30 clubs In the county and build from there. 

The stated level of engagement of the  owners and their willingness to invest was a positive. Yes, again it's just words so far but JR did respond to @Athletico Charlton's question about the sale price by saying yes, it was  around £10 to £12m and it was cash up front. 

I'll say it again, come to the meetings and hear for yourselves. You'll get a much better feel for way things are put than on here 

In other news the raffle raised £350 so more than we paid for the sponsorship so the football club got money and we have  cash in the bank to pay the miserable moaning sod who runs the RBL club who I had a full and frank exchange of views with, @Sage was there,  and who then spent the evening moaning to all our members at the bar about us not putting the chairs back!!

Other than that a good night and thanks to all the committee for organising, fans for attending, Jim and Andy for coming, especially Jim as he really wasn't well and Tom Rubashow and @Tracey for organising.
    Thanks again for another good evening and will definitely attend the next meeting.

I’ll also be looking forward to my Appleton signed shirt which I won in the raffle 
    I should think so as you bought the last ticket and won😁
  • Thanks @Covered End for all the posts

I really hope that we can do a bit better than aim to be one of the top 30 clubs in the county....

I'll get my coat.
  • sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:
    sam3110 said:
    Ipswich did

People claim Charlton are a nice, patient bunch, bit I'd argue it's quite the opposite nowadays
    And rightly so Sam. We’ve been owned and messed around by a succession of chancers and arseholes,  been in L1 for 6 out of 7 seasons and showing no positive sign of leaving it, recently had the humiliation of failing to beat a team of local scaffolders and six formers at home on national TV, and just been trounced by Gillingham from the league below. 

Absolutely right that patience is in short supply. It’s long been used up. 
    Nail on head. Almost seems to be a level of acceptance now amongst fans. We are below where we should be and our fans deserve so much more 
  • edited December 2023
    “Aspiring for top 10 Championship in short to medium term” is really interesting. 
    How long is short and medium to the SMT / OG? IMO the January transfer window will answer that question! Given comments that have come before, the whole club focus with changes behind the scenes (performance director + new recruitment / scouting team), the management of resources will likely nod towards a realistic short of 25/26 & medium of 27/28.
    For short to be achieved, worse case scenario we need to be promoted by end of next season. For medium, worse case scenario, it’s end of 25/26.

Ipswich splashed the cash! Kieran McKenna was a gamble which paid off, he was a fantastic youth coach and he’s doing amazingly well in the senior ranks. 
    Funny enough, Kieran lost 4 of his first 23 league games and finished mid table. Appleton has lost 2 of his first 12 league games, so tracking pretty similar to Kieran’s start.
  • Chunes said:
    Those sites just guess wages tbf. May be right, or may be way off. Although no doubting Ipswich have spent more than us. 
    The gross wage bills for clubs come from the published accounts. The accounts published are of the previous season. My guess is Ipswich will have splashed even more cash in their last season in league1.
  • i’m surprised that nobody apparently asked about progress in the fitness/medical area given that the current injury list suggests there hasn’t been any so far.

After all, who was it who said in summer “There’s no point in spending money on good players if we cannot keep them fit and available” ?