Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 30th September 2023 | KO 3:00pm

1234568»

Comments

• We can set a target of promotion but shouldn't be so specific as to how it is achieved, expecially over the next few games. Appleton has got to get to grips with the job and the squad, and he needs understanding and time whilst he is doing this. He hasn't lost yet which has to be a positive. Rather than points, I am looking for the improvement in our performances as if we can achieve that, the points will follow.
  • edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    We have sacked the manager who started the season, and appointed a new one. 
    The new manager has a 0% lose rate. 
    The new manager has in my opinion dropped four points at Stevenage and Shrewsbury.
    Had we won both of those games by my calculation we would be four points behind my target instead of the current eight.
    We now have to beat Exeter and Blackpool to simply stand still and remain eight points behind (my) target.
    I can see some progress in players being available after injury, so in that respect Appleton has fallen into a pot of jam, but if Holden was sacked in order to make results better (some say this new Methven wrangled regime should be judged on results) then four points dropped at Stevenage and Shrewsbury are not improvements, had we won both of those games a case can be made that things have got better.
    So your beholding Appleton accountable for the points we dropped under Holden?

Win at home draw away is your target and Appleton has a 100% success rate and your still not happy? 
    You’re right I am not happy.
    Appleton is not accountable for the points dropped under Holden, Holden and the regime are. So if they recognised that and subsequently sacked Holden my expectation is an improvement.
    The improvement has been players coming back from injury, not the results, they have merely marked time, and if we don’t win the next two games it won’t even be marking time anymore.
    I want automatic promotion this season, doesn’t every fan? I am not interested in any Methven wrangled realism, or excuses. What is even the point of being involved in the sport if you don’t aspire to success?
    If you surveyed 200 randomly selected fans almost all would agree automatic promotion is a good thing.

However, we've had four seasons being run by ESI and then Sandgaard which has seen us slump to mid-table in the third tier. Do we aspire to progress and success? Or are we captured by entitlement and a desire / habit of protest?!

Most fans want us to be competitive and would welcome a return to Wembley just five years after we beat Sunderland to win promotion.

I've been following CAFC for 50 years and seen seven promotions in that time. So roughly one every seven years. Never followed the club for certainty but actually for the drama and complete randomness of outcomes. Football is rare in that it offers a perfect mix of technical skills, preparation and random events - hence why it's so popular across the globe.

So no disrespect to your position but I'll judge Scott and Appleton on performances and whether we can stay on track for the play-offs.  For we've replaced 75% of the matchday 18 over the last two windows. 

As it happens W2 D1 L1 should see us arrive at 76 points. Alternatively Bowyer's target of 17 points every nine games is a tad more ambitious. But the fact remains that we are nowhere near a top four club in terms of XG and performances.

Having said all that progress this season AND two decent 2024 windows will ensure potential to become a top four contender for next season.

It's a journey - like it or not we are where we are. Another few games will tell us far more about the squad and Appleton.  Let's see where we are at the end of October 😀