Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 30th September 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Beale be available by Monday, just saying
  • 1st half was very, very flat. Reminiscent of the first half at Stevenage a couple of weeks ago.

It’s concerning how dependent we are on our substitutions to get us properly firing - Chuks in particular.

Was my first time visiting the Shrewsbury stadium. About as bland as they come. 
  • And Campbell isn’t a 10. 
  • I just don't understand why we go into games like this with just one player up front.

In the first half, May was completely isolated and didn't get a look in. He couldn't hold the ball up and it just kept coming back, putting us under constant pressure. Throw in that Campbell, playing the 10 role, and Leaburn, out on the wing, both looked completely lost and that first half was shambolic and Appleton should take much of the blame for that.

At least when we had Tedic and Aneke up front in the second half we looked as if we might score.

I can't make my mind up about Isted. A number of really good saves but he nearly gets beaten from inside the Shrewsbury half (he was so lucky the ball bounced over after he had got his hands to it), he tries to dribble past a Shrewsbury and loses the ball and has to bring him down and his good save in the last minute was from a kick out he put straight to a Shrewsbury player. Its not going to be boring with him in goal, that's for sure.
    The formation didn't change when the subs came on, it was more having round pegs in round holes...

If the starting lineup had been Miles up front, May in the attacking No 10 role and TC right wing, it would surely have been more effective?
    In fact, for the last 15 minutes of the first half Appleton changed it and that was pretty much how we played.
  • SDAddick said:
    I just don't understand why we go into games like this with just one player up front.

In the first half, May was completely isolated and didn't get a look in. He couldn't hold the ball up and it just kept coming back, putting us under constant pressure. Throw in that Campbell, playing the 10 role, and Leaburn, out on the wing, both looked completely lost and that first half was shambolic and Appleton should take much of the blame for that.

At least when we had Tedic and Aneke up front in the second half we looked as if we might score.

I can't make my mind up about Isted. A number of really good saves but he nearly gets beaten from inside the Shrewsbury half (he was so lucky the ball bounced over after he had got his hands to it), he tries to dribble past a Shrewsbury and loses the ball and has to bring him down and his good save in the last minute was from a kick out he put straight to a Shrewsbury player. Its not going to be boring with him in goal, that's for sure.
    The formation didn't change when the subs came on, it was more having round pegs in round holes...

If the starting lineup had been Miles up front, May in the attacking No 10 role and TC right wing, it would surely have been more effective?
    We looked like we switched to 4-4-2 toward the end of the first half. We struggled to get a grip on the game.

I mean if we're going to start May we need someone else up front with him. I think the Miles RW and TC 10 experiment isn't worth how it leaves us short elsewhere.

I expect 3-5-2 on Tuesday, Edun and Assimwe WBs, Leaburn and May up front. CBT and Campbell off the bench. 
    Edun is injured. 
    I doubt Tenai will be dropped for Assimwe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• V disappointed, we played as if we had  lost the last 3. Where was the confidence, conviction? Shrewsbury looked beatable when we got going. I've been prepared to try TC in that new role but tbf doesn't seem to be working. Does MA twist or stick?
  • Davo55 said:

Appleton needs to move his half-time rollockings forward to pre-match. Yet again we were very poor in the first half but picked it up in the second and created enough good chances to win.

Isted finally showed what a good keeper he can be, with some important saves. Tennai Watson impressed again and the Hector:Jones double act is starting to look much more solid. Terell Thomas looks steady enough in defence now but offers nothing going forward and i remain of the opinion that Tayo Edun is a better all round option for us in the left back position.

Of all the midfield and attacking players on the pitch in the first half, only Dobbo acquitted himself well The rest were simply poor, with Alfie May and Tyreece Campbell looking particularly jaded and CBT having a rare ineffective game. Louie Watson, despite a couple of bad errors near the end of the game, gave us a composure and mobility in midfield that had previously been lacking. Then Chuks and Tedic added a more potent threat and we dominated much of the last half hour.

Overall, the game was a pretty accurate representation of third division football. Determination, strength and energy largely outweighed the skill factor.

Another game unbeaten and an away point looks ok on paper, but Appleton will know that was nowhere near good enough. We’ve got to do much better if we want to rise above mid-table obscurity.

Saved me typing on my phone  with one finger. Spot on..
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:
    This from the man who puts Leaburn on the wing.

Appleton is showing why he is just like Holden, Garner, Adkins.....etc etc.

No idea how to set us up & then moans at the players when they dont deliver his stupid tactics. 

I wasn't there or watch a stream but by the sounds of it we didnt play that well. A defeat could have put us 17th & only because of teams carrying points deductions could have been even lower. 

I dont see drawing 0-0 away from home as an achievement as some people do. Yes we didnt lose but that's 2 draws out of 3 and this season is slowly becoming just like last year. No hope of getting close to the top 6 & game after game goes by where we play insipid uninspiring football that leads nowhere. 

Another wasted season. 

Leaburn spent a decent amount of time playing through the middle and wasn’t particularly effective there either.

We don’t have the players with physicality or experience to go with a two in the middle 4-4-2 so it’s either this 4-3-3 or it’s 3-5-2. We would’ve played even worse today with that formation.

One option doesn’t have CBT in his best position, the other doesn’t have Leaburn in his best position.
  • Valley11 said:
    And Campbell isn’t a 10. 
    Surely switching Campbell and Leaburn's positions would make a big difference.
  • I was led to believe there was some sort of incredible highlight involving a shot from a very long way out? Sky haven't seen fit to include it in their package, but they have included a routine catch from a flicked header. I guess I'll never know 
  • Leuth said:
    I was led to believe there was some sort of incredible highlight involving a shot from a very long way out? Sky haven't seen fit to include it in their package, but they have included a routine catch from a flicked header. I guess I'll never know 
    Speculative lob by the Shrewsbury striker from the halfway line after he spotted Isted out of the box, which somehow he got back into the goal to tip round the post, resulting in a leg injury, it was a good recovery save...but typical of Sky not to show important stuff...
  • LouisMend said:
    This from the man who puts Leaburn on the wing.

Appleton is showing why he is just like Holden, Garner, Adkins.....etc etc.

No idea how to set us up & then moans at the players when they dont deliver his stupid tactics. 

I wasn't there or watch a stream but by the sounds of it we didnt play that well. A defeat could have put us 17th & only because of teams carrying points deductions could have been even lower. 

I dont see drawing 0-0 away from home as an achievement as some people do. Yes we didnt lose but that's 2 draws out of 3 and this season is slowly becoming just like last year. No hope of getting close to the top 6 & game after game goes by where we play insipid uninspiring football that leads nowhere. 

Another wasted season. 

The real issue is that it’s glaringly obvious Leaburn needs to play as does May…

however, it’s how you fit May, leaburn, dobson, CBT & Watson/Fraser/camara into a team elbowing you want them there as they’re the top players - it just doesn’t work! 

Leaburn and may will start together at some point (May even be Tuesday) but it’s who you want behind them that causes the issues. I don’t think T Campbell has done enough to continue as a 10, and presumably you rather 2 wingers/wide players in CBT & one of the Campbells- knowing you need Dobson central with a playmaker
  • And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game? Before CBT comes to town? And that’s alright,  is it?

But sure, let’s get “tough” with “time-wasting”. 
  • edited September 2023
    And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game? Before CBT comes to town? And that’s alright,  is it?

But sure, let’s get “tough” with “time-wasting”. 
    Kind of looked like they did, if you look at the nearside touchline, there is about 20 feet of runoff, and a clear dark line where the touch line was erased, CBT was never really in the game, and lack of width was an issue imo...
  • Redskin said:
    Meanwhile Palace win at Old Trafford. 
    Thanks for ruining that game on MOTD.
    If you want to avoid football scores until 10.30pm I graciously would say that you avoid a football forum. 

I have to hold my tongue/fingers during the game as I've been "told off" before about posting Premier League scores as they happen but I dont see why the minority have to hold sway over the majority. 

I think it's time those who don't want to know the scores before MOTD should "look away now" (as they say on the news). 
    As an international fan , the first thing I do when I wake up is check in here. I then scratch my balls, have a wee and then watch premiership highlights. So assuming other international fans are the same (excluding scratching my nads), it would be awesome if the thread each week could be about this game only.