Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 30th September 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Charlton headed up to battle a Shrewsbury Town team in poor form and just one place behind Charlton in the table. But Shrewsbury have been solid at home. And so it proved. Shrewsbury never dominated, but did control large parts of the game and probably should have made much more from their chances. In fact, you could argue that, in Charlton terms, this was Isted’s day. He made a couple of spectacular saves, although that was perhaps tempered by at least two debacles of his own making. First, he was almost caught off his line from about sixty yards. He tracked the ball high over his shoulder and managed, somewhat miraculously, to bat the ball down on the bounce and up over the crossbar. Second, he got caught with the ball at his feet outside his box and had to clumsily give away a free kick in a dangerous area; for which he received a yellow card. But on balance, he was solid and certainly helped keep a clean sheet; particularly with a great save in added time after the ninety.

Charlton had a much improved second half and created a number of solid chances that, on another day, could have been the decider. Changes came in time, with Louie Watson looking more mobile in the middle, on for Terry Taylor, and Chucks Aneke imposing himself instantly. Our danger man Corey Blackett-Taylor was effectively marshaled out of the game and replaced with Scott Fraser returning after a long injury. With all the changes we looked much more dangerous but were unable to break the deadlock.

Perhaps we’ll rue the chance to pick up all three points—and obviously we have a lot of ground to make up—but we were solid in ways we haven’t been and kept Shrewsbury from scoring. That’s a plus given our start to the season.

Shrewbury 0 Charlton 0
Over to you.

Comments

• edited September 2023
    Rubbish...1st half
    Ok...second half
    Least we didn't loose...
  • At least they got a clean sheet. Which given the poor defense is a positive. We can see now how at best this is an average squad.
  • Meanwhile Palace win at Old Trafford. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I tempted fate, this was Shrewsbury's first draw of the season, I really doubted it would happen .. still an away point and our defence was solid
  • Don’t think Appleton knows what our best team is yet, because of players coming back from injuries. However, the positive is that we know our best team to finish involves Aneke playing down the middle.

Two consecutive away performances when we probably been the weaker of the two teams and we haven’t lost in either. Pleased with keeping the clean sheet. If we beat Exeter on Tuesday then this will be forgotten about very quickly.

• Meanwhile Palace win at Old Trafford. 
    Ten Hag absolutely useless 
  • Positives today........

Millwall lost 3-0 at home
    Europe thrashing the US in the Ryder Cup 
    We didnt lose.

Not much else.

• Never known a goalkeeper to almost to be MOTM and be the villlan in one game. Thomas at LB against weaker teams will set us back. Watson should of started over Taylor . Shoutout to those who made the trip up as an hour journey from Chester seems bad enough for that performance. Campbell and Leaburn in their actually positions next game UTA
    Yeah - it’s really hard to evaluate Isted in that match. For the most part it was his best performance in a Charlton shirt, but there were a couple of concerning moments too! 

Clean sheet though, maybe that’s all that matters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wins at home, draws away. You can argue maybe about how "accurate" the results are but in terms of actual results/points then frankly that's really quite good compared to where we were.

Not a vintage performance and Appleton can't keep pulling the "slow start, impact subs" shtick, we need to start playing well from the beginning of games AND finish strongly too instead of one or the other.

But 8 points from 12 possible is better than I expected honestly. Hopefully we can start turning good patches into good games and progress from there...
  • Didn't watch but we sounded a bit gassed.
    Appleton has been working them hard for the weeks he's been here if you believe what you read. This will take its toll and you'll get lulls whilst their bodies take time to recover and you'll initially get jaded performances every few games. Hopefully consistent performances will come in time
    Well that's what I'm telling myself!

We didn't lose, and that's important.
  • It seemed they compressed the width of the pitch which took CBT out of the game. Very poor first half, the better team in the second and a draw was probably a fair result.
  • To get promoted you probably need to be finding a way to win matches like that. If you can’t win, though, at least don’t lose. 

Crappy game that could’ve gone either way and we should’ve been punished at the end. 

We still look a mid table side. Hopefully things will improve as Appleton gets to grip with his options in this squad. 
  • Much better second half think we got to grips with there basic direct style .. we were not getting the second balls in the first half , to many poor performances Campbell ,Leaburn CBT and Dobson especially first half not surprise we struggled but second half much much better with Shrews only relying on breakaways … MA deserves credit clearly had words at HT … positives , Clean Sheet , 0-0 at HT , 0-0 at FT in a game we would have lost under DH , Fraser getting 20 mins , L Watson made a big diff calmed us down in the middle .. and defensively we look so much stronger with Hector and Jones outstanding but MOM Isted , his double save at the end of first half was superb 

• I just don't understand why we go into games like this with just one player up front.

In the first half, May was completely isolated and didn't get a look in. He couldn't hold the ball up and it just kept coming back, putting us under constant pressure. Throw in that Campbell, playing the 10 role, and Leaburn, out on the wing, both looked completely lost and that first half was shambolic and Appleton should take much of the blame for that.

At least when we had Tedic and Aneke up front in the second half we looked as if we might score.

I can't make my mind up about Isted. A number of really good saves but he nearly gets beaten from inside the Shrewsbury half (he was so lucky the ball bounced over after he had got his hands to it), he tries to dribble past a Shrewsbury and loses the ball and has to bring him down and his good save in the last minute was from a kick out he put straight to a Shrewsbury player. Its not going to be boring with him in goal, that's for sure.
    The formation didn't change when the subs came on, it was more having round pegs in round holes...

If the starting lineup had been Miles up front, May in the attacking No 10 role and TC right wing, it would surely have been more effective?
  • edited September 2023
    I just don't understand why we go into games like this with just one player up front.

In the first half, May was completely isolated and didn't get a look in. He couldn't hold the ball up and it just kept coming back, putting us under constant pressure. Throw in that Campbell, playing the 10 role, and Leaburn, out on the wing, both looked completely lost and that first half was shambolic and Appleton should take much of the blame for that.

At least when we had Tedic and Aneke up front in the second half we looked as if we might score.

I can't make my mind up about Isted. A number of really good saves but he nearly gets beaten from inside the Shrewsbury half (he was so lucky the ball bounced over after he had got his hands to it), he tries to dribble past a Shrewsbury and loses the ball and has to bring him down and his good save in the last minute was from a kick out he put straight to a Shrewsbury player. Its not going to be boring with him in goal, that's for sure.
    The formation didn't change when the subs came on, it was more having round pegs in round holes...

If the starting lineup had been Miles up front, May in the attacking No 10 role and TC right wing, it would surely have been more effective?
    We looked like we switched to 4-4-2 toward the end of the first half. We struggled to get a grip on the game.

I mean if we're going to start May we need someone else up front with him. I think the Miles RW and TC 10 experiment isn't worth how it leaves us short elsewhere.

I expect 3-5-2 on Tuesday, Edun and Assimwe WBs, Leaburn and May up front. CBT and Campbell off the bench. 
  • Despite a lucklustre 1st half where we seemed clueless coping with the Shrewsbury press, and allowed our front men to get isolated from the rest of the team - we put in a much better show after half time.

Lloyd Jones put in his most impressive performance so far, Isted did his job, plus Louie W, Chuks and Tenic gave us impetus and at times, a degree of control.

You know, 'if only' we'd been a bit sharper in front of goal .....like Chuks had put away one of his chances, we'd have won.