Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 30th September 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Redskin said:
    Meanwhile Palace win at Old Trafford. 
    Thanks for ruining that game on MOTD.
    If you want to avoid football scores until 10.30pm I graciously would say that you avoid a football forum. 

I have to hold my tongue/fingers during the game as I've been "told off" before about posting Premier League scores as they happen but I dont see why the minority have to hold sway over the majority. 

I think it's time those who don't want to know the scores before MOTD should "look away now" (as they say on the news). 
    I think he was joking.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game? Before CBT comes to town? And that’s alright,  is it?

But sure, let’s get “tough” with “time-wasting”. 
    What's wrong with that?  There are maximum and minimum dimensions for pitches in the rules, as long as a pitch is within the rules that's OK isn't it?

But to be honest I don't think they changed the pitch dimensions just for today but there have got to be some benefits of playing at home?  Loads of teams water one half at half time, for example.

Edit:  it appears to be plenty of spare length and girth here.

https://youtu.be/rI_zJKlG-0c?si=fA6u_00SfHWNk6sq

I don’t know whether they altered the pitch this week or not. I was picking up on other comments here. 

However the rules surely seek to define whether a pitch, like the rest of the stadium, meets agreed standards. I don’t think they are written to give a club leeway to  mess with it week in week out. I can’t think of a good reason why you’d alter a pitch dimensions more than say once in mid-season. Maybe I’m wrong there. But if you alter it just to cope with an opposing winger, that’s worse than a lot of time-wasting IMO.

Although I admit I’m having trouble believing Shrewsbury really did that just to stop CBT. Worked though, didn’t it?
  • Felt like a pre-season match. Yet tomorrow is October. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game? Before CBT comes to town? And that’s alright,  is it?

What's wrong with that?  There are maximum and minimum dimensions for pitches in the rules, as long as a pitch is within the rules that's OK isn't it?

But to be honest I don't think they changed the pitch dimensions just for today but there have got to be some benefits of playing at home?  Loads of teams water one half at half time, for example.

Edit:  it appears to be plenty of spare length and girth here.

https://youtu.be/rI_zJKlG-0c?si=fA6u_00SfHWNk6sq

I don’t know whether they altered the pitch this week or not. I was picking up on other comments here. 

However the rules surely seek to define whether a pitch, like the rest of the stadium, meets agreed standards. I don’t think they are written to give a club leeway to  mess with it week in week out. I can’t think of a good reason why you’d alter a pitch dimensions more than say once in mid-season. Maybe I’m wrong there. But if you alter it just to cope with an opposing winger, that’s worse than a lot of time-wasting IMO.

Although I admit I’m having trouble believing Shrewsbury really did that just to stop CBT. Worked though, didn’t it?
    Thing is we don't know if they DID do it to mess with CBT or not, and couldn't prove it either way. It might be that a narrower pitch, still in regulation dimensions, suits their own tactics better so they redid it, and it's effect on CBT or other such pacy winger types is just a bonus, intended or otherwise.
  • I said on the match thread - where is there any proof the pitch has been narrowed...and when was that done? 

It looked pretty normal to me, and nothing to suggest it has been any wider at any recent point in time as the different markings would have been noticeable.
  • I thought it had been narrowed before I read any comments. 
  • edited September 2023
    I said on the match thread - where is there any proof the pitch has been narrowed...and when was that done? 

It looked pretty normal to me, and nothing to suggest it has been any wider at any recent point in time as the different markings would have been noticeable.
    Under IFAB Law One, pitch size can only be altered before the season begins. 
  • I said on the match thread - where is there any proof the pitch has been narrowed...and when was that done? 

It’s quite weird to have such a big run off. Probably a deliberate attempt to tip the scales in their favour. Can’t say I blame them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame for Taylor. It's not like he was unfit or injury prone before we signed him either, just a really rotten streak of luck. But L. Watson is ready and able to step up in that role which is a bonus.
  • This is from our play off game there 5 years ago.

• edited September 2023
    At the match.
    How woeful is League 1 football?
    Thankfully, not far to travel from West Yorkshire. Have sympathy for those making the long trek north and back.
    Picked my son up from Manchester and his comment - "watching shit players just aimlessly kicking a ball about. Boring, uninspiring crap."
    I agreed, but passed it off as one crap team bringing the other down to their level. Think that worked both ways. 
    Good away support; kept up the noise. Just thinking how sad for Shrewsbury supporters - absolutely soulless from them. 
    2nd half was encouraging. I'd like to have seen Tedic start with Leaburn in  4-4-2. Chuks was a menace when he came on and should have scored had he directed his header better. I was pleased to see his reaction after the final whistle, beating the ground in frustration. 
    With a bit more aggression and fight, we just might have a chance at reaching the play-offs. 

• The Draw was a fair result and we had a clean sheet and an away point.
    early days for the new manager and lots of improvement required which I feel will happen.
    two good home results will help the progress 👍👍👍
  • thenewbie said:
    Shame for Taylor. It's not like he was unfit or injury prone before we signed him either, just a really rotten streak of luck. But L. Watson is ready and able to step up in that role which is a bonus.
    He was unfit when we signed him. Also, he was out for 3/4 months last season and not ready to play when we signed him. He has now been out  injured on 3 different occasions in the short time he has been playing for us.
    Similar thing happened with McGrandles last year.
  • The Managers post match comments are interesting. Twice in his three games he has accused the team of a lack of commitment in a first half that left a lot to be desired. Does this suggest a fundamental attitude problem within the squad ?Something quite a few people on here have highlighted since our relegation under Lee Bowyer. 
  • In that first half we looked lower mid table at best. 
  • A good point. My only criticism, I think that Appleton played it too cautious in the 1st half. They really weren’t very good and if we had opened up earlier I think we would have won that. But, also, I could see why he wanted to play it cautious at first. A good away point and we move on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Will have a read when I get home but short and sweet of it is;

8 points from 12

Isted earned his wages, no chance he should be getting dropped.

Video up, cheers ladies and gents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quVUwIAUWJ0&feature=youtu.be
  • And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game?

Not quite, speaking to a Shrews ury supporter, the manager narrowed the pitch at the start of the season, to favour the style of football he wanted to play, and of course to deny width to the opposition.

• edited September 2023
    Thought that was toss overall, especially against an out of form team who are one of the worst in the division. First half was awful. We’re not promotion material but I do feel the players we have should be doing better than they are. We have barely played a half all season where we’ve actually looked any good. A few spells against Orient, bristol and Wycombe and that’s about it. Perhaps 2nd half at Stevenage (only half I havent seen all season)
  • LouisMend said:
    This from the man who puts Leaburn on the wing.

Appleton is showing why he is just like Holden, Garner, Adkins.....etc etc.

No idea how to set us up & then moans at the players when they dont deliver his stupid tactics. 

I wasn't there or watch a stream but by the sounds of it we didnt play that well. A defeat could have put us 17th & only because of teams carrying points deductions could have been even lower. 

I dont see drawing 0-0 away from home as an achievement as some people do. Yes we didnt lose but that's 2 draws out of 3 and this season is slowly becoming just like last year. No hope of getting close to the top 6 & game after game goes by where we play insipid uninspiring football that leads nowhere. 

Another wasted season. 

The real issue is that it’s glaringly obvious Leaburn needs to play as does May…

however, it’s how you fit May, leaburn, dobson, CBT & Watson/Fraser/camara into a team elbowing you want them there as they’re the top players - it just doesn’t work! 

Leaburn   May

CBT     Dobson   Fraser/ Camara  Campbell 

Edun/Thomas  Jones  Hector  Asimwe

4-4-fucking 2.

Use you BEST players in THEIR best positions. Fit the system to the players & not the other way round.

Might actually win a game that way.

• Redskin said:
    If you want to avoid football scores until 10.30pm I graciously would say that you avoid a football forum. 

I have to hold my tongue/fingers during the game as I've been "told off" before about posting Premier League scores as they happen but I dont see why the minority have to hold sway over the majority. 

I think it's time those who don't want to know the scores before MOTD should "look away now" (as they say on the news). 
    As an international fan , the first thing I do when I wake up is check in here. I then scratch my balls, have a wee and then watch premiership highlights. So assuming other international fans are the same (excluding scratching my nads), it would be awesome if the thread each week could be about this game only. 
    As a UK based fan I follow matches when they are played in the UK. I don't think I should have to curtail what I do because of  someone living half way around the world.

Jeez. What next, not being able to post the Ryder Cup scores because a US citizen is still asleep. 
  • Stig said:
    Redskin said:

I think he was joking.
    Probably was but I'm not.

I've had enough of not being able to post Premier League updates because a handful of people want to live like Bob & Terry from the Likely Lads.  

(And in case you missed it, the England match was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch)
  • Definitely posting as if you have had enough.

Pity you have to insult people.

Charlton Match Thread. OK? 

Maybe start your own 'Premier League updates' thread?

• And am I understanding right? , Shrewsbury narrowed the plitch before this game? Before CBT comes to town? And that’s alright,  is it?

If they did of course it’s alright. As long as the pitch size reaches the minimum requirements why shouldn’t they?
  • Almost went to bed at half time, ponderous is an understatement. Improved second half with a strong subs bench. We are however so predictable in build up and can I say "boring".
  • Redskin said:

As an international fan , the first thing I do when I wake up is check in here. I then scratch my balls, have a wee and then watch premiership highlights. So assuming other international fans are the same (excluding scratching my nads), it would be awesome if the thread each week could be about this game only. 
    As a UK based fan I follow matches when they are played in the UK. I don't think I should have to curtail what I do because of  someone living half way around the world.

Jeez. What next, not being able to post the Ryder Cup scores because a US citizen is still asleep. 
    No desire to force you (and no authority to do so anyway) but the suggestion by @Major is a good one.  May I be so bold as to suggest a curtailing-free redirection?