Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 30th September 2023 | KO 3:00pm

Comments

• Its not even like the same formation will work the same way every time. When you come up against things like a narrower pitch than normal for instance then yes it can be quite hard to account for exactly how that's going to affect things - and Appleton is still working on drilling the squad into his own style and approach, trying to work on multiple tactical set ups as well would be difficult at best, counter productive at worst.

If you can take any positives out of it then I for one am glad that Appleton has so far had enough about him to recognise when things aren't working and change it generally for the better - would it be better if we got it right first time? Of course it would. Is he going to keep getting away with slow/poor starts salvaged by tweaking it? Probably not.

But all in all unbeaten in 4 games has to be seen as a strong start even if you do think the results have been flattering compared to performance.
  • Off_it said:
    A point away at struggling Shrewsbury. Still living that dream.
    A point away against a team who were one place and one point below us at the time. 
  • edited October 2023
    There's a strong smell of delusional bs wafting around recently. I suspect the reinvention of Charlton as an imaginary sleeping giant whom we can reasonably expect to be crushing other teams is more about minimising the improvement under MA.
  • edited October 2023
    TeeC said:
    I’m very surprised by the reaction here and elsewhere to the game yesterday. You don’t win every game in this league - even ones against teams on poor runs. We’re not Man City - both sides will have spells in games where they’re on top. It’s important not to concede and hope your quality gives you some decent chances.  That’s it - that’s the league.

Unbeaten in four is not be taken for granted. Win the next two and that looks a good point.
    Unbeaten in 4 which includes 2 draws = 8 points.

Much prefer lost 1 in 4 where the other 3 are all wins = 9 points.

It's not not losing which is the problem, its not winning. 

And if we are going by the mantra of "win your home games & draw your aways" then we'd better win the next 2.......or will people still be happy with the "but we are still unbeaten" mantra when we drop more points over the next 6 days. 
  • Rough weekend so just catching up with the post match. 

We were shite, Shrewsbury were shite, pure league one shiteness. Shrewsbury didn't hold the mighty Charlton Athletic to a 0-0 draw because they may have made their pitch slightly smaller, although it's nice to see a different excuse other than blaming the constant flow of anti Charlton refs we get. I get it, I love Charlton as much as the next one of you but man, some people really view things through some very thick, heavily rose tinted glasses. 
    Even during the last 3 games we still showed some of our ongoing problems with set pieces and defensive lapses, the two wins didn't erase those immediately. Improved performances yes, but far from challenging still. Saturday just backed that up. 

Players, Isted gets  the special mention, did well to keep us in it at times whilst also looking a bit dodgy still, but improving, a player who definitely needs a run of games.to get in to form. 

Tactics, given our squad we can be a more flexible in our formations and approach to away games, would say we have clear home and away selections, CBT and Campbell stand out as the obvious two who probably feature better/ more effective at home than away. 

Anyway, nice not to lose when looking utter gash, even with the 5 a side pitch Shrewsbury forced us to play on. Bastards. 
  • TeeC said:
    I’m very surprised by the reaction here and elsewhere to the game yesterday. You don’t win every game in this league - even ones against teams on poor runs. We’re not Man City - both sides will have spells in games where they’re on top. It’s important not to concede and hope your quality gives you some decent chances.  That’s it - that’s the league.

Unbeaten in four is not be taken for granted. Win the next two and that looks a good point.

And if we are going by the mantra of "win your home games & draw your aways" then we'd better win the next 2.......or will people still be happy with the "but we are still unbeaten" mantra when we drop more points over the next 6 days. 
    But we ARE winning games. Literally half of the games since Appleton took over, we've won. You're literally putting the single most negative possible slant on things... surprisingly.
  • jams said:
    Goddamn, they were right. That IS a crap save 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sometimes playing the team on a poor run is harder in all honesty usually until you score, then their heads drop. What I think was disapointing was that we were much improved in the second half and pathetic in the first. I think that is the right word.  It is disapointing because if we are looking for clues we can challenge, we are not finding many. Of course we will finish in the top half and not get relegated but that learning doesn't fill my heart with joy. 

Appleton's comments were obvious and right. Thinking about it, when I managed, I used to tell the team to keep a tally of their personal battles and ensure they won more than they lost.  Of course some people haven't got it in them, but in that first half we lost most of them. That isn't about skill, it is about strength and desire. Aneke came on and the tide turned. I suppose with a young player like Campbell you can teach that. I noticed he did win one 50/50 so it showed he had it in him. Something to work on maybe.
  • edited October 2023
    thenewbie said:
    TeeC said:

But we ARE winning games. Literally half of the games since Appleton took over, we've won. You're literally putting the single most negative possible slant on things... surprisingly.
    That isn't correct as the Fleetwood game was before he took over. It is true that we are not losing games.
  • edited October 2023

Not sure how it ended nil nil, both teams could have won it. 

Another frustrating first half similar to Stevenage away a couple of weeks back but this time Isted made some good saves and kept us in it.

Better second half and we had some chances our selves and their keeper made some good saves, Chucks should have scored with his header and was frustrated with himself, after the game could see he was annoyed with himself. Unlike Stevenage though I felt they was the more likely to score in the last 5-10 minutes.

As others have said, Isted best game for us so hopefully a real confidence boost for him and he can push on. Jones as well I thought was brilliant, I think he has been very impressive all season and thought Hector looked a bit more like the Hector from last season. Dobson was Dobson and played well, I am not sure If I am only just seeing it but seems to me Dobson has changed his game and is a lot more involved this season and driving us on, reminding me of Scott Parker sometimes (not the standard).

Miles, Tupac and CBT all looked of to me which did not help our attacking play so nice we have the option of Chucks and Tedic to change it up as well as Fraser coming back.

Shrewsbury if not getting the train is a bit of a rubbish away day not helped by the rain literally pissing in my chips pre match at the fan zone. Also the Shrewsbury annoucer has got to be the most boring announcer in the league, Though it was Farnell’s barrister at one point.

Still upbeaten since DH has gone. Win the next 2 home games and that is a good point on the road. 

• Is it Tedic or Tenic? I am getting confused.
  • Why is Leaburn, our tallest attacker being played on the wing?
  • We have sacked the manager who started the season, and appointed a new one. 
    The new manager has a 0% lose rate. 
    The new manager has in my opinion dropped four points at Stevenage and Shrewsbury.
    Had we won both of those games by my calculation we would be four points behind my target instead of the current eight.
    We now have to beat Exeter and Blackpool to simply stand still and remain eight points behind (my) target.
    I can see some progress in players being available after injury, so in that respect Appleton has fallen into a pot of jam, but if Holden was sacked in order to make results better (some say this new Methven wrangled regime should be judged on results) then four points dropped at Stevenage and Shrewsbury are not improvements, had we won both of those games a case can be made that things have got better.

I thought it was Tedic but seen Tenic now a few times. 
    For this forum at the moment Tena might be most appropriate 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    We have sacked the manager who started the season, and appointed a new one. 
    The new manager has in my opinion dropped four points at Stevenage and Shrewsbury.
    Had we won both of those games by my calculation we would be four points behind my target instead of the current eight.
    We now have to beat Exeter and Blackpool to simply stand still and remain eight points behind (my) target.
    I can see some progress in players being available after injury, so in that respect Appleton has fallen into a pot of jam, but if Holden was sacked in order to make results better (some say this new Methven wrangled regime should be judged on results) then four points dropped at Stevenage and Shrewsbury are not improvements, had we won both of those games a case can be made that things have got better.
    So your beholding Appleton accountable for the points we dropped under Holden?

Win at home draw away is your target and Appleton has a 100% success rate and your still not happy? 
    It's called doubling down and has nothing to do with rationality.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

Win at home draw away is your target and Appleton has a 100% success rate and your still not happy? 
    You’re right I am not happy.
    Appleton is not accountable for the points dropped under Holden, Holden and the regime are. So if they recognised that and subsequently sacked Holden my expectation is an improvement.
    The improvement has been players coming back from injury, not the results, they have merely marked time, and if we don’t win the next two games it won’t even be marking time anymore.
    I want automatic promotion this season, doesn’t every fan? I am not interested in any Methven wrangled realism, or excuses. What is even the point of being involved in the sport if you don’t aspire to success?
  • seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

Appleton is not accountable for the points dropped under Holden, Holden and the regime are. So if they recognised that and subsequently sacked Holden my expectation is an improvement.
    The improvement has been players coming back from injury, not the results, they have merely marked time, and if we don’t win the next two games it won’t even be marking time anymore.
    I want automatic promotion this season, doesn’t every fan? I am not interested in any Methven wrangled realism, or excuses. What is even the point of being involved in the sport if you don’t aspire to success?
    If hypothetically you were offered play offs now would you take it? 
  • NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

Great question.
  • seth plum said:
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:

Great question.
    Great answer. 
  • Play offs are a lottery but automatic is a certainty.
    Play offs are a bit of a dodgy consolation.
  • I think Appleton/Pearce have done well to get the points total that we have got. I am yet to be fully sold on how Appleton has set us up in the last couple of games however and don’t feel like he’s maximised our chances of getting positive results.

The Leaburn out wide with Campbell in the middle is just odd and hasn’t worked. 

Taylor was an odd inclusion in my opinion for the starting line up yesterday as he’s too similar to Dobson when working in a 2. 

Lots of positives too including keeping that much needed clean sheet.

I think we’ll see a couple of changes tomorrow. I would expect C Campbell get his chance from the start. I also reckon Appleton may go with Aneke or Tedic to start ahead of Leaburn.
  • jams said:
    I still think it was going wide until Isted intervened 
  • No that was going straight in without bouncing , his confused save prevented a goal