Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• When will people understand that covid, climate change etc are bogus catastrophies designed to make certain people fantastic amounts of money.
    Some people are so easily manipulated. And I don’t mean the people WellingWill is talking about. It’s tragic really. 
  • Obviously @WellingWill has his reasons for believing both climate change and the pandemic were hoaxes. I would be interested to hear if he subscribes to any other “conspiracy” theories because I’m interested in why someone who subscribes to one often subscribes to others too. 
  • Obviously @WellingWill has his reasons for believing both climate change and the pandemic were hoaxes. I would be interested to hear if he subscribes to any other “conspiracy” theories because I’m interested in why someone who subscribes to one often subscribes to others too. 
    exactly...I bet he thinks JFK wasn't shot be LHW as well  ;)
    exactly...I bet he thinks JFK wasn't shot be LHW as well  ;)
    Touché 👍
  • So, was COP28 just a back slapping wind and piss jolly up as usual, or a job well done which will accelerate practical attempts to combat rising global temperatures before they meet again, in thunder, lightning, and probably rain, this time next year? 

What say you? I apologise for not offering my opinion on it, but I've rather given up on seeing anything emerging from these annual get togethers that forces those in charge to treat the problem with the urgency I believe is required to prevent us exceeding the tipping points, so I paid little attention to it. Should I be pleasantly surprised?
  • swordfish said:
    So, was COP28 just a back slapping wind and piss jolly up as usual, or a job well done which will accelerate practical attempts to combat rising global temperatures before they meet again, in thunder, lightning, and probably rain, this time next year? 

What say you? I apologise for not offering my opinion on it, but I've rather given up on seeing anything emerging from these annual get togethers that forces those in charge to treat the problem with the urgency I believe is required to prevent us exceeding the tipping points, so I paid little attention to it. Should I be pleasantly surprised?
    I suspect your skepticism is justified. 
  • I haven’t really heard anything other than it was hosted by people with a vested interest in the status quo. What have they agreed? What measures have they put in place to implement those agreements? What sanctions will there be for non-compliance? Who will police it? I don't know, but I suspect the answers to those questions will be underwhelming. 
  • Cop out 28, I suspect
  • Planet Earth III has been amazing, with some wonderful people doing spectacular work to save our wildlife.

David Attenborough doesn't believe that it is too late to save the planet
    , but time is running out. 
    Yeah, but it probably wouldn’t make a good programme if he said he did.
  • Sponsored links:

• Are we convinced EV’s are the absolute future ? I’m not.
    I filmed a story about hydrogen cars for news at ten a very long time ago. I wouldn’t totally rule them out in the future. The one we filmed was made by a company called ITM, and was very impressive. 
    In the meantime the oil industry is busy promoting disinformation about EVs. The new type batteries last much longer than they’re saying and are more recyclable than they were. Overall they’re much better for the environment that petrol or diesel cars, while still being far from perfect. I’m reasonably close to buying one now. 
    Small gangs of hunter-scavengers walking about on foot in a post-apocalyptic nightmare.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Are we convinced EV’s are the absolute future ? I’m not.
    I filmed a story about hydrogen cars for news at ten a very long time ago. I wouldn’t totally rule them out in the future. The one we filmed was made by a company called ITM, and was very impressive. 
    In the meantime the oil industry is busy promoting disinformation about EVs. The new type batteries last much longer than they’re saying and are more recyclable than they were. Overall they’re much better for the environment that petrol or diesel cars, while still being far from perfect. I’m reasonably close to buying one now. 
    I’m not sure hydrogen is the future. They were a huge thing here 10 years ago. Barely see any now, everything is electric 
  • I’ll be honest and say I’m far from knowledgeable about EV’s and their batteries but isn’t there a question hanging over China and its cornering of the minerals required for these batteries and therefore effectively either holding the world to ransom or cornering the market in EV manufacture. I’m sure one of you will have a better understanding than I.
  • I’ll be honest and say I’m far from knowledgeable about EV’s and their batteries but isn’t there a question hanging over China and its cornering of the minerals required for these batteries and therefore effectively either holding the world to ransom or cornering the market in EV manufacture. I’m sure one of you will have a better understanding than I.
    Funnily enough I'm looking at one of these:

https://www.byd.com/uk/car/dolphin (Chinese)
  • China dominate the EV Battery manufacturing industry but that's par for the course for a lot of manufacturing sectors. It also comes from demand, China has the highest demand for EVs. Despite their dominance in battery making: Germany, USA, France, Japan, etc aren't having issues manufacturing EVs. 
  • follett said:
    China dominate the EV Battery manufacturing industry but that's par for the course for a lot of manufacturing sectors. It also comes from demand, China has the highest demand for EVs. Despite their dominance in battery making: Germany, USA, France, Japan, etc aren't having issues manufacturing EVs. 
    https://www.axios.com/2023/10/23/china-graphite-metals-evs
  • edited January 8
    Huskaris said:

It's not really all about population size. It's how we live, not how many of us there are.

What's the definition of "lifestyle" consumption? Or is it literally just the total emission? Just wondering if it's emissions after certain things are done, like discretionary spending for example. 

Either way, yes, too many people are the problem, rich and poor. 

Anyone saying too many people isn't a problem are part of the problem. 
    Too many people isn't the problem. People saying it is are usually a big part of the problem.
  • I've yet to hear it argued that an ever increasing world population doesn't increase the overall demand for the energy needed to sustain it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe somebody ought to tell Kate Garraway that covid played no part in her losing her husband and her kids losing their dad. We all know people who didn't make it through that period tragically. 
  • The demand for energy for that poorest 10% will continue to increase. The question is will that growth equal or exceed the diminishing demand by the richest 10%. 
  • Demand for energy will increase in the rich areas too if the population grows, but the increased usage of renewable sources of energy could lessen the demand for finite ones.
  • swordfish said:
    Demand for energy will increase in the rich areas too if the population grows, but the increased usage of renewable sources of energy could lessen the demand for finite ones.
    I think a decrease in energy demand for the top 10% is inevitable. Otherwise what are we doing pissing in the wind with net zero targets. 
  • swordfish said:
    Demand for energy will increase in the rich areas too if the population grows, but the increased usage of renewable sources of energy could lessen the demand for finite ones.
    I think a decrease in energy demand for the top 10% is inevitable. Otherwise what are we doing pissing in the wind with net zero targets. 
    Trying to reduce usage of sources that emit greenhouse gasses, which can be achieved by switching to renewables, not reducing demand for energy overall, so the two aren't incompatible. 
  • World's first year-long breach of key 1.5C warming limit https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68110310
  • JamesSeed said:
    Are we convinced EV’s are the absolute future ? I’m not.
    Been following them for a few years now.

https://www.lse.co.uk/news/ITM/
  • THE WORLD ACCORDING TO TELLY TUBBY

Being a child of the 1960s, I was brought up believing that a nuclear war was very likely to take place and it very nearly did. Luckily, the protagonists took a step back from MAD (mutually assured destruction) and life carried on.

Over my lifetime there have been enormous advances in technology and medicine. Smallpox was officially eradicated in 1980 and although still a major killer, Influenza isn’t killing people by the tens of millions as the “Spanish Flu” did in the early 20th century. 

Today’s younger generation thankfully, don’t have these real world concerns as clever people living in my formative years have devised solutions to much of the concerns of the past.

Other matters seem to preoccupy concerned and thoughtful people of today and its not just the younger generations,  whatever group name people wish to tag them with. Climate change has been a major topic of debate for many years now and quite rightly. Most people accept that the weather patterns are changing to more extremes which are causing death and destruction as this is being read. 

Some would argue the changes are not man-made, but a part of a natural cycle, but these are in a minority.

So much noise and heat being generated over the fossil fuels debate and being side tracked by extremists who arrogantly believe it is their inherent right to prevent innocent people from going about their lives, trying to earn a crust. Some think that we have no right to enjoy sporting events, or view works of art, because not everyone holds the same views as them.

We have Governments flying around the world pretending to be concerned about the environment to meet up at regular talking shops and agree watered down policies that will have little effect. All the time farming out carbon producing manufacturing to other countries, twisting facts or just lying. 

In the UK, we lost 1/3rd of our train system rather than promote it to transport freight, so it now is forced onto the roads. The BBC TV programme Tomorrow’s World predicted a system where trains would drop containers to different train depots through the country, with local lorries collecting to take the goods just a few miles. Dr Beeching made the call to close down so much of our train network. I’m sure that it was pure coincidence that he had a vested interest in road building!

Just about all of the pressure groups, extreme or otherwise, and all of the governments are all missing the fundamental truth that the world population is unsustainable. Its not being openly discussed, in fact we have recently had politicians encouraging us all to have more children here in the uk, and of course there are plenty of religious leaders pushing for their followers to help make their religion more numerous and powerful.

My wife and I understood the population issue when we were dating back in the 1970s and was one of the reasons we chose not to have our own children.

We are lucky enough to have been born in the uk, a relatively wealthy country with pensions and a welfare system and were able to make that choice. 

Apart from ideology, people in poor countries have no choice but to keep creating large families in order to support them in later life or even tougher times.

The poverty is often caused by richer nations harvesting the resources of these poor nations over generations, natural disasters, endemic corruption and trade blocks of wealthy nations designed to keep them poor. I'm sure that I've missed other important issues, but that will do for now.

Of course, the huge surge in population growth has created a huge demand on the world’s resources, something that we all know just isn’t sustainable. When I was born, there was little more than an estimated 2.5 billion people living on this planet, this has more than trebled, partly thanks to the brilliant work of scientists to eradicate horrible diseases.  But, like the people who imported stoats and other predators into New Zealand to reduce the rabbits their predecessors had introduced, it had unforeseen and unfortunate consequences. 

An enormous burden on the planet’s resources and eco system has occurred and in millions to leave their home countries to survive new problems or find a better life. This has resulted in ever greater antipathy toward unwanted immigration, who knows where this will lead?

The usual suspects will claim that population reduction policies are inherently racist, but this is a false narrative as they term it ‘population control’. Its possible to have population reducing policies without coercion and racist ideology. 

My simplified view of the solution is for the whole world to decide to invest in the poorer countries to develop sustainable growth, wealth creating businesses that benefit the whole population,  not just the owner. The resulting trade would benefit the whole world's economy, enable social benefits where there are none and reduce the need for the world's poor to traipse across the world in search of a longer and more fruitful life.

Helping poorer countries is the morally correct thing to do and can be done at the same time as introducing renewable energy sources, or perhaps draconian measures such as restrictions or bans on private jets for example. It’s not an either or thing.

Of course, my simplified solution is nonsense I realise this, there is absolutely no way any democratic government in the world would put this to its electorate as it will be political suicide to provide funds for such a project while their own heath care, police, armed services or schools are all desperate for more themselves. 

As for cooperation between nations, even friendly ones, absolutely no chance.

The bottom line in my judgement is that the world really is heading in a very bad direction due to our combined stupidity and selfishness and nobody will stop it.

A good insightful read. I wholeheartedly agree. 
  • edited February 14
    People throw blame up in the air without looking inwards. 

The reason why we haven't done much to combat climate change is that the population aren't willing to forego the more expensive greener alternatives. 

The reason why governments can't run on a Green platform is the public aren't willing to foot the bill for it. 

It's everyone else's problem they'll say as they drive their cars 5 minutes down the road to see a friend.
    Or shop on Amazon for their most recent China-made purchase because it's £2 cheaper than a local shop; only to then turn around and complain about China's emissions.