Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• clive said:

More than 13% of a council's CO2 emissions come from staff working from home, a survey has found.

A report by City of York Council said an estimated 723 tonnes of carbon dioxide was produced in 2022-23.

It was caused by home workers using office equipment, lighting and heating during the day, the report said.

Working from home produced far more emissions than staff commuting and business travel put together, the findings revealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67491763

Wouldn't they also need equipment and heating if they went into the office?
  • Also seems a good place to pick the brains of those more knowledgeable than me.

I teach grade 3 primary school and we're currently on a unit about energy, energy transformation etc, I wanted to do some kind of activity at the end of the unit to help the students understand how they can lower their own carbon footprints, or do something positive for the environment. Any ideas?

• https://weigh-in.climatehero.me/

Good English practice, plus form filling skills
  • When will people understand that covid, climate change etc are bogus catastrophies designed to make certain people fantastic amounts of money.
    remind me who those people are.
    Everyone except Welling Will and about 14 others.
  • clive said:

More than 13% of a council's CO2 emissions come from staff working from home, a survey has found.

A report by City of York Council said an estimated 723 tonnes of carbon dioxide was produced in 2022-23.

It was caused by home workers using office equipment, lighting and heating during the day, the report said.

Working from home produced far more emissions than staff commuting and business travel put together, the findings revealed.

Yes, but 4 people in one room equals one lot of lights and one radiator. 4 people at home equals four lots of lights and four radiators.
  • clive said:

At home, I don't need any lighting except for the last hour of the day at this time of the year. At work, lights are on all day where I sit, as there is little natural light throughout the year.

I don't have the heating on at home during the day. In my office, either the heating or air conditioning are on all day, depending on the time of year. 

I use the same amount of equipment at home as in the office. 

I don't generate any CO2 travelling when working at home, but use a car to get to my office. My carbon footprint is far less when working at home.

The article quoted goes on to say that it depends on many factors, so cannot claim that the carbon footprint for everyone is the same. 

The thing is ME14 , is you don't account for everyone in the country.

• clive said:

87% from staff not working at home doesn't have the same ring to it 
  • clb74 said:
    clive said:

At home, I don't need any lighting except for the last hour of the day at this time of the year. At work, lights are on all day where I sit, as there is little natural light throughout the year.

I don't have the heating on at home during the day. In my office, either the heating or air conditioning are on all day, depending on the time of year. 

I use the same amount of equipment at home as in the office. 

I don't generate any CO2 travelling when working at home, but use a car to get to my office. My carbon footprint is far less when working at home.

The article quoted goes on to say that it depends on many factors, so cannot claim that the carbon footprint for everyone is the same. 

The thing is ME14 , is you don't account for everyone in the country.

Exactly, a statement that home working increases emissions  doesn't account for everyone.
  • Ross said:
    clive said:

Yes, but 4 people in one room equals one lot of lights and one radiator. 4 people at home equals four lots of lights and four radiators.
    That's true if all 4 use lights and heating at home, but some don't. I wonder if the survey actually asked those people working at home, if they use lights and heating.
  • Sponsored links:

• The bottom line is that at present global temperatures are still forecast to go up by levels that are double what was classed as a disaster just a few short years ago. 1.5 degrees which was viewed as a potential tipping point now looks like a good scenario. The 3 degrees forecast by the UN a day or so ago will the death knell for millions of people and the end of civilisation as we currently know it. The fact of the matter is we are not doing enough. I’m not hopeful that what’s potentially coming is even now going to be reversible. Tipping point must be very close.

Sadly not really in line with an IB school. Needs to be practical, think we might make a watermill to highlight renewable energy.
  • edited November 2023
    Stig said:
    Will, when you say it's a hoax, do you mean that it's an entirely fictitious thing that exists nowhere but peoples' imaginations or do you mean that the hoaxers have deliberately manufactured the effects of climate change to fit in with their money spinning yarn?
    Hard to respond to the poster without knowing at what level his denial is. If he doesn't think global temperatures are increasing, he's beyond reason.

Whenever I ask doubters to answer the following. I never get a response.

1. Do you believe global temperatures are increasing?

2. Do you believe CO2 is a greenhouse gas? i.e. it has the effect of trapping hot air and warming the surface of the planet.  

3. Do you believe that burning fossil fuels emits CO2?

If the answers to all are 'yes', which there is a substantial body of irrefutable scientific evidence built up over the last half a century or more to support, then they accept that Climate Change is not a hoax.

With me being a supposedly gullible fool for answering 'yes' to all three having researched the subject, I'm left scratching my head in bewilderment. You've got more chance of convincing me that smoking isn't bad for your health.

There is no vested interest 'hoax' argument. It's happening.
  • The denialists have already moved from 'it's not happening' to 'it's happening but we can't do anything about it' in the main. One strand of this is an almost gleeful anticipation of mass death in the global south 
  • Leuth said:
    The denialists have already moved from 'it's not happening' to 'it's happening but we can't do anything about it' in the main. One strand of this is an almost gleeful anticipation of mass death in the global south 
    The mass migration preceding that will make the stopping the small boat brigade blow a gasket.

Sadly not really in line with an IB school. Needs to be practical, think we might make a watermill to highlight renewable energy.
    I took a 9V battery, 2 spoons (large surface area) and a glass to a secondary school in Sidcup to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) subjects.

At the school I filled the glass with water mixed with a bit of salt, put the two spoons in the glass without touching each other, and 'connected' (ie ensure they touched) one spoon to each of the battery terminals.

After a few seconds, the spoons start producing oxygen and hydrogen. The students really liked it.

It's electrolysis, a key process in creating green hydrogen.

Easy to look up, eg:

https://youtu.be/T-OwWOYHhMI?si=UPMRMzUX16NJKmA6

Obviously try it at home first to make sure it works for you.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67469222

This is an interesting example of adapting to climate change if you read the full story.
  • edited November 2023
    https://weigh-in.climatehero.me/

I took a 9V battery, 2 spoons (large surface area) and a glass to a secondary school in Sidcup to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) subjects.

At the school I filled the glass with water mixed with a bit of salt, put the two spoons in the glass without touching each other, and 'connected' (ie ensure they touched) one spoon to each of the battery terminals.

After a few seconds, the spoons start producing oxygen and hydrogen. The students really liked it.

It's electrolysis, a key process in creating green hydrogen.

Easy to look up, eg:

https://youtu.be/T-OwWOYHhMI?si=UPMRMzUX16NJKmA6

Obviously try it at home first to make sure it works for you.
    Awesome, thanks a lot. 

We did something a few weeks ago using a selection of fruits and vegetables to light up small LEDs 
  • clb74 said:
    The bottom line is that at present global temperatures are still forecast to go up by levels that are double what was classed as a disaster just a few short years ago. 1.5 degrees which was viewed as a potential tipping point now looks like a good scenario. The 3 degrees forecast by the UN a day or so ago will the death knell for millions of people and the end of civilisation as we currently know it. The fact of the matter is we are not doing enough. I’m not hopeful that what’s potentially coming is even now going to be reversible. Tipping point must be very close.
    You say we aren't doing enough, do you mean governments?
    My rant today is public transport.
    Most people will never give up their cars all the while the public transport is abysmal.
    I sometimes walk to the workings man's club which is 3.5 miles away.
    Last weekend I got a bus home which requires 1 change.
    The difference in time between walking and getting the bus was 5 minutes.
    Yes I was slower than the bus by 5 minutes over 3.5 miles.
    We then come on to my trains to Carlisle yesterday.
    The direct train up was cancelled. 
    The 8.30am train was delayed because a crew member was 15 minutes late, our train was due to arrive in at 10.39 with connecting train to Carlisle leaving at 10.59.
    We miss that then we have a 40 minute wait for next train.
    We arrive in at 11am, luckily enough the connecting train was late.
    Coming home we waited at Preston station for 30 minutes.
    No communication and was told it was being held up because the train driver was held up.
    We arrived back in London 35 minutes late.
    Governments over the next few decades will need to Start planning for the end of the world.

HS2 anybody ?

Line devoted to express trains.
    No constant criss-crossing of trains.
    No signals and very few junctions.
    Every train goes at same speed and not held up by slower trains ahead.
    So drivers are not held up.
    Easy overnight maintenance.
    No replacement bus services.

Worth considering!
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    The bottom line is that at present global temperatures are still forecast to go up by levels that are double what was classed as a disaster just a few short years ago. 1.5 degrees which was viewed as a potential tipping point now looks like a good scenario. The 3 degrees forecast by the UN a day or so ago will the death knell for millions of people and the end of civilisation as we currently know it. The fact of the matter is we are not doing enough. I’m not hopeful that what’s potentially coming is even now going to be reversible. Tipping point must be very close.
    Most people will never give up their cars all the while the public transport is abysmal.
    The 8.30am train was delayed because a crew member was 15 minutes late, our train was due to arrive in at 10.39 with connecting train to Carlisle leaving at 10.59.
    No communication and was told it was being held up because the train driver was held up.
    Governments over the next few decades will need to Start planning for the end of the world.

Yes it’s got to be governments. What’s needed is going to cost a lot of money and in many cases won’t be popular. I don’t think your last sentence is very wide of the mark. 
  • The Nederlands have just done their own version of a Brexit brain fart. Geert Wilders is going to completely destroy The Nederlands net zero climate policy. A small country but if the Dutch can elect a right wing nut job then no country is safe from the madness. 
  • In 2022 UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said government spending to combat climate change is the right thing to do, from an environmental, moral and economic perspective. He is travelling to this year's COP28 having rowed back on many climate pledges, I wonder what he'll say this time. 
  • The Nederlands have just done their own version of a Brexit brain fart. Geert Wilders is going to completely destroy The Nederlands net zero climate policy. A small country but if the Dutch can elect a right wing nut job then no country is safe from the madness. 
    So perhaps it's time to tackle people's varied concerns together rather than in combative style.
  • edited November 2023
    Sevenoaks Council commercial wate department told us last week only to put cardboard and paper in our recycling bin, to which I said that I take all of our plastic bottles etc to the public recycling bank anyway. I was then told that that was against the rules and that we would get a fine for putting commercial recycling in public banks. I was then told to put anything that isn't cardboard or paper into the general waste bags that costs £80 for 25 (I think). From that, it seems like their MO is shift more refuse bags and fine people than save ghe planet 🤷‍♂️
  • MrWalker said:
    The Nederlands have just done their own version of a Brexit brain fart. Geert Wilders is going to completely destroy The Nederlands net zero climate policy. A small country but if the Dutch can elect a right wing nut job then no country is safe from the madness. 
    So perhaps it's time to tackle people's varied concerns together rather than in combative style.
    I don’t know what this means.
  • clb74 said:

You have travelled the length of the country twice in a day an around trip of at least 600 miles and arrived back 1/2 late. Thats bloody good going considering the awful state of transport once you get out of London.

• And his train was cancelled!
  • And his train was cancelled!
    And avanti west coast doesn't make it easy to claim delay and repay for group bookings.
    Will need to manually input 24 tickets.
    I ain't happy.