Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• Huskaris said:
    Any politician with money is always "lining [mates/families/their] pockets" it's the laziest and easiest trope going, the parallel of "in hock to their union paymasters" about everything anyone on the left does. 

Lazy. 
    Yet still fairly accurate, unless there’s some other reason to ditch the pre agreed targets?
    Although they wont say it the reason for the big turnaround is that everyone realised that it just isnt achievable without alot of unpopular pain for the electorate, which in the main we wouldnt accept. It is very easy to say "switch to renewables" ( I wish we would as it is my business ) but the infrastructure to be able to do that isnt there and the cost of getting of there would make HS2 seem like a steal. The issue of balancing the grid to be able to cope with the peaks in demand along with the peaks and troughs of supply via renewables is not a quick easy fix
  • Huskaris said:
    Any politician with money is always "lining [mates/families/their] pockets" it's the laziest and easiest trope going, the parallel of "in hock to their union paymasters" about everything anyone on the left does. 

Lazy. 
    Yet still fairly accurate, unless there’s some other reason to ditch the pre agreed targets?
    Desperately trying to do anything to cling onto power. 

I think they deserve to lose the next election for this decision alone, and think it's absolutely outrageous putting short term electioneering ahead of the long term future of the UK and the planet. 

I don't think he's pocketing a shedload of cash for whatever mate/family member asked him. 
  • AndyG said:
    Anyone who looks at the facts and doesn’t conclude that the climate emergency isn’t a potential extinction event for our planet is frankly a moron. Political figures the world over will never make the radical decisions required to change course because we the public wouldn’t accept the hardships. Humans are basically selfish and would not sacrifice anything to try and save the planet for future generations beyond doing a bit of recycling.
    the only chance we have is that somewhere there is a clever scientific brain that can come up with a reversal 

I agree but although I’ve said this before, I believe a climate catastrophe in one of the major players and we’ll see opinions and how the developed word deals with this emergency change very quickly. Awful thought but perhaps we need thousands of Americans or Europeans to die in one event for the greater long term good of millions and millions of people or even the survival of the species. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66952980

this seemed like the most apropriate place to include this;

hope they name and shame the little prick that did it.

It's unbelievable that anyone would do that. I hope the person who did it is severely punished.
  • edited September 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66952980

It's unbelievable that anyone would do that. I hope the person who did it is severely punished.
    I don't disagree, but suspect they may also need therapy and/or education. Just wtf would be going on in their heads?

Not convinced about naming and shaming. That might be what they want.
  • It is likely that scientists can find a solution, but that solution might be to reduce the world’s population by 75%, and the over 70’s by 100%.
    A kind of Soylent Green future.

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66957589
    The police hope he will turnover a new leaf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66952980

They should get the birch.
    I’m against corporal punishment but the little shit needs a good kick in the bollocks.
  • seth plum said:
    I can’t help thinking the chain sawing of that lovely Sycamore tree is a metaphor for the mindset of those who voted leave.
    Apologise as this ought to be in the politics section, but that section doesn’t exist as a place to respond to new news.
    I agree. Also symbolic given the trees location on an ancient border. Likely a racist did it.
    Whoever did it is definitely a right winger, definitely didn't get the vaccine either. They probably listen to "far right" conspiracy theorists like Piers Corbyn and Russel Brand  :D
  • The point I am making is a personal one that doesn’t need further debate. The wanton cutting down of the tree was a destructive act, and now any regret by the perpetrator is irrelevant because the damage can’t be put right or made better in any way.
    That is why I described it as a metaphor.
  • Not at all. The cutting down of the tree is new news and I posted what it made me think about.
    Isn’t the climate emergency debate about wanton destruction and what can be done to repair the damage?
    If such damage and destruction evokes other thoughts then so be it, just as people see the ULEZ issue evoking thoughts about money.
  • Another metaphor that this is reminding me of is Japanese knotweed. 

Incredibly invasive and impossible to get rid of. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I can’t help thinking the chain sawing of that lovely Sycamore tree is a metaphor for the mindset of those who voted leave.
    Apologise as this ought to be in the politics section, but that section doesn’t exist as a place to respond to new news.
    I agree. Also symbolic given the trees location on an ancient border. Likely a racist did it.
    100% a meat eater too who rides a non ulez compliant moped and goes by the pronouns of he/him
  • seth plum said:
    I was thinking your imbecilic posts couldn't get any more brain dead, but I was wrong.

Absolutely, hell bent on causing friction & trying to provoke arguments every waking moment. 
    A must win match!
  • edited September 2023
    seth plum said:

What a plonker post. Mind you, why change now?

Kid is released on bail. 60 year old man now arrested. Locals say he had a beef with the National Trust.  I'll wager he'd tell you where to stick your 'Metaphor'.
  • edited September 2023
  • Major said:
    seth plum said:

What a plonker post. Mind you, why change now?

Kid is released on bail. 60 year old man now arrested. Locals say he had a beef with the National Trust.  I'll wager he'd tell you where to stick your 'Metaphor'.
    It did look like too clean a job for a 16 year old on his own.
  • The Sycamore Tree was a deliberate act of wanton and mendacious destruction that cannot be put right.
  • The felling of this iconic tree is without any doubt an act of stupidity and vandalism in the extreme. There are however worse things happening every day. 
  • seth plum said:
    The Sycamore Tree was a deliberate act of wanton and mendacious destruction that cannot be put right.
    What was mendacious about it?
  • Yeah, mendacious is probably not the most appropriate word to use when we are yet to hear the ‘justification’.
    Should have used ‘diabolical’.