Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• edited December 2023
    When you look at the realities I can only really see some sort of science fictionesque dystopian future. Less and less habitable land for more and more people with less food to go around. Man competing with nature for space with the inevitable extinction of many species. I think the world, mankind’s world is going to be a pretty challenging place in the future. Perhaps we’re due for a reboot and that’ll be man’s salvation in the long run. Alternatively perhaps we’re approaching the final bend and will have soon run our race. 
  • The population of China is no longer increasing! It will soon be falling quite dramatically.

Same will be true for most countries. Birth rate is well below one!

Just because something has happened throughout our lifetimes doesn't mean it will always happen!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population/#:~:text=China%202023%20population%20is%20estimated,(and%20dependencies)%20by%20population.
  • The population of China is no longer increasing! It will soon be falling quite dramatically.

Just because something has happened throughout our lifetimes doesn't mean it will always happen!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population/#:~:text=China%202023%20population%20is%20estimated,(and%20dependencies)%20by%20population.
    So you pick on the one significant country that is forecast to reduce its population. 

Check out the rest of the world, apart from static Europe. Africa (212% increase from 2000 to 2050)and Asia are the main concerns.

I brought up the world population stats, not just China. The forecast is to top out at around 10bn before any possible drop. Utterly unsustainable whatever we do about ULEZ areas or fossil fuels etc. And yet we still have people in this country calling on white people to have more children. Madness.
  • edited December 2023
    If the temperatures continue to rise, 2023 is going to be the hottest year for something like 120,000 years, replacing 2016 as the hottest.  Large parts of the world including many that are the food basket of the world are going to be gone as far as human habitation is concerned. Inevitably there will be mass starvations and mass migrations that will not be contained. Civil unrest and nation confrontations are also inevitable in that scenario. Forget for just one moment whether climate change is man driven which I believe it is, or just a natural cycle of warming and cooling the future looks uncertain. If we can as a species reduce our emissions and even just slow or contain global temperature rise then perhaps there is some hope of mankind’s survival, but it will in my opinion be a very different civilisation that is left. Sadly I don’t see the will for mankind to change quickly enough to give us a hope. 
  • If the temperatures continue to rise, 2023 is going to be the hottest year for something like 120,000 years, replacing 2016 as the hottest. Large parts of the world including many that are the food basket of the world are going to be gone as far as human habitation is concerned. Inevitably there will be mass starvations and mass migrations that will not be contained. Civil unrest and nation confrontations are also inevitable in that scenario. Forget for just one moment whether climate change is man driven which I believe it is, or just a natural cycle of warming and cooling the future looks uncertain. If we can as a species reduce our emissions and even just slow or contain global temperature rise then perhaps there is some hope of mankind’s survival, but it will in my opinion be a very different civilisation that is left. Sadly I don’t see the will for mankind to change quickly enough to give us a hope. 
    There was certainly a lot of hot air about here in 2016. Ah yes, I remember it well 😉
  • If the temperatures continue to rise, 2023 is going to be the hottest year for something like 120,000 years, replacing 2016 as the hottest.  Large parts of the world including many that are the food basket of the world are going to be gone as far as human habitation is concerned. Inevitably there will be mass starvations and mass migrations that will not be contained. Civil unrest and nation confrontations are also inevitable in that scenario. Forget for just one moment whether climate change is man driven which I believe it is, or just a natural cycle of warming and cooling the future looks uncertain. If we can as a species reduce our emissions and even just slow or contain global temperature rise then perhaps there is some hope of mankind’s survival, but it will in my opinion be a very different civilisation that is left. Sadly I don’t see the will for mankind to change quickly enough to give us a hope. 
    Source?
  • Samantha Burgess, Deputy Director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said that a combination of its data and that of the UN suggested 2023 may be "warmer than anything that the planet has seen for 125,000 years".

That conclusion is based on observations at weather stations, complex computer models of the climate system, and records of the climate far back in time from ice cores and tree rings, for example.

It sets the worrying climate context ahead of the UN's COP28 summit, which begins on 30 November.

"The sense of urgency for ambitious climate action going into COP28 has never been higher," said Dr Burgess.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67332791

• Redskin said:
    If the temperatures continue to rise, 2023 is going to be the hottest year for something like 120,000 years, replacing 2016 as the hottest.  Large parts of the world including many that are the food basket of the world are going to be gone as far as human habitation is concerned. Inevitably there will be mass starvations and mass migrations that will not be contained. Civil unrest and nation confrontations are also inevitable in that scenario. Forget for just one moment whether climate change is man driven which I believe it is, or just a natural cycle of warming and cooling the future looks uncertain. If we can as a species reduce our emissions and even just slow or contain global temperature rise then perhaps there is some hope of mankind’s survival, but it will in my opinion be a very different civilisation that is left. Sadly I don’t see the will for mankind to change quickly enough to give us a hope. 
    Source?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cop28-hottest-year-record-temperatures-b2456082.html

and the government is doing absolutely everything it can to stop that from happening. 
  • Governments must act now, we can't keep kicking the can down the road, it's not too late if the will is there. We need to work with nature to solve a lot of the problems.

Why is the UK slowing down it's actions to get to net zero, it's not to help ordinary people with the fuel bills or to increase energy security; it is to appease the fossil fuel companies who donate to political parties. If we are ahead of our target as Sunak says we are, then we should be going further and setting an example to the rest of the world. We are perilously close to the 1.5C increase that many climate scientists regard as a tipping point, climate change is accelerating and will accelerate further.

The future IS in renewable sources of energy which are much cheaper than fossil fuels and WILL help to bring down energy bills and stop our reliance on energy supplies from foreign sources.

The new oil and gas licences issued by the current Government will not bring down bills for people in the UK or provide energy security, as the products will be sold on the open market to the highest bidder.

António Guterres,  Secretary General of the UN and King Charles gave excellent speeches at COP28 this morning, and I hope that the Prime Minister will listen to what they had to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:
    Source?
    I can recommend Levi Root's Reggae Reggae.
  • Governments must act now, we can't keep kicking the can down the road, it's not too late if the will is there. We need to work with nature to solve a lot of the problems.

Why is the UK slowing down it's actions to get to net zero, it's not to help ordinary people with the fuel bills or to increase energy security; it is to appease the fossil fuel companies who donate to political parties. If we are ahead of our target as Sunak says we are, then we should be going further and setting an example to the rest of the world. We are perilously close to the 1.5C increase that many climate scientists regard as a tipping point, climate change is accelerating and will accelerate further.

The future IS in renewable sources of energy which are much cheaper than fossil fuels and WILL help to bring down energy bills and stop our reliance on energy supplies from foreign sources.

The new oil and gas licences issued by the current Government will not bring down bills for people in the UK or provide energy security, as the products will be sold on the open market to the highest bidder.

António Guterres,  Secretary General of the UN and King Charles gave excellent speeches at COP28 this morning, and I hope that the Prime Minister will listen to what they had to say.
    It is too late.

• Redskin said:
    Source?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cop28-hottest-year-record-temperatures-b2456082.html
    Probably.
    Seriously 120000 years ago?
  • Soon you'll have the 'its cold outside, so much for global warming!' headlines that come around every single year and miss the point completely. 
    Just wait til it gets colder here, which the science predicts it will when the gulf stream shuts off. Those idiots who stick their noses out of the front door to assess the impact of global climate change will laugh in the faces of those banging on about it. 
  • clb74 said:
    Redskin said:
    Source?
    Probably.
    Seriously 120000 years ago?
    Seriously! It's reconned that July was the hottest month for 120,000 years and we know that other months this year have broken known temperature records, so it's quite plausible that this will be the hottest year in that time scale. Frightening, ain't it.

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/july-2023-hottest-month-ever-recorded#:~:text=The%20UN%20Chief%20spoke%20on,highest%2Dever%20ocean%20surface%20temperatures.

• edited December 2023
    clb74 said:
    Governments must act now, we can't keep kicking the can down the road, it's not too late if the will is there. We need to work with nature to solve a lot of the problems.

It is too late.

It isn't, it just needs Governments to make the right decisions, not try to make political capital.

• It's not really all about population size. It's how we live, not how many of us there are.

• It's both.
    But mainly its the numbers.
  • edited December 2023

It's not really all about population size. It's how we live, not how many of us there are.

What's the definition of "lifestyle" consumption? Or is it literally just the total emission? Just wondering if it's emissions after certain things are done, like discretionary spending for example. 

Either way, yes, too many people are the problem, rich and poor. 

Anyone saying too many people isn't a problem are part of the problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not really all about population size. It's how we live, not how many of us there are.

The problem is.
    If the 25% of the world's population lived a half decent life would they then not be adding to the emissions?
    I'm sure everyone is in agreement that we should all have a decent life.
  • clb74 said:
    The bottom line is that at present global temperatures are still forecast to go up by levels that are double what was classed as a disaster just a few short years ago. 1.5 degrees which was viewed as a potential tipping point now looks like a good scenario. The 3 degrees forecast by the UN a day or so ago will the death knell for millions of people and the end of civilisation as we currently know it. The fact of the matter is we are not doing enough. I’m not hopeful that what’s potentially coming is even now going to be reversible. Tipping point must be very close.
    You say we aren't doing enough, do you mean governments?
    My rant today is public transport.
    Most people will never give up their cars all the while the public transport is abysmal.
    I sometimes walk to the workings man's club which is 3.5 miles away.
    Last weekend I got a bus home which requires 1 change.
    The difference in time between walking and getting the bus was 5 minutes.
    Yes I was slower than the bus by 5 minutes over 3.5 miles.
    We then come on to my trains to Carlisle yesterday.
    The direct train up was cancelled. 
    The 8.30am train was delayed because a crew member was 15 minutes late, our train was due to arrive in at 10.39 with connecting train to Carlisle leaving at 10.59.
    We miss that then we have a 40 minute wait for next train.
    We arrive in at 11am, luckily enough the connecting train was late.
    Coming home we waited at Preston station for 30 minutes.
    No communication and was told it was being held up because the train driver was held up.
    We arrived back in London 35 minutes late.
    Governments over the next few decades will need to Start planning for the end of the world.

Bump
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    The bottom line is that at present global temperatures are still forecast to go up by levels that are double what was classed as a disaster just a few short years ago. 1.5 degrees which was viewed as a potential tipping point now looks like a good scenario. The 3 degrees forecast by the UN a day or so ago will the death knell for millions of people and the end of civilisation as we currently know it. The fact of the matter is we are not doing enough. I’m not hopeful that what’s potentially coming is even now going to be reversible. Tipping point must be very close.
    You say we aren't doing enough, do you mean governments?
    My rant today is public transport.
    Most people will never give up their cars all the while the public transport is abysmal.
    I sometimes walk to the workings man's club which is 3.5 miles away.
    Last weekend I got a bus home which requires 1 change.
    The difference in time between walking and getting the bus was 5 minutes.
    Yes I was slower than the bus by 5 minutes over 3.5 miles.
    We then come on to my trains to Carlisle yesterday.
    The direct train up was cancelled. 
    The 8.30am train was delayed because a crew member was 15 minutes late, our train was due to arrive in at 10.39 with connecting train to Carlisle leaving at 10.59.
    We miss that then we have a 40 minute wait for next train.
    We arrive in at 11am, luckily enough the connecting train was late.
    Coming home we waited at Preston station for 30 minutes.
    No communication and was told it was being held up because the train driver was held up.
    We arrived back in London 35 minutes late.
    Governments over the next few decades will need to Start planning for the end of the world.

Bump

• edited December 2023
    Planet Earth III has been amazing, with some wonderful people doing spectacular work to save our wildlife.

David Attenborough doesn't believe that it is too late to save the planet, but time is running out. 
  • Planet Earth III has been amazing, with some wonderful people doing spectacular work to save our wildlife.

David Attenborough doesn't believe that it is to late to save the planet, but time is running out. 
    No chance of saving the planet ,all the while our public transport is up the swanny
  • edited December 2023

Have a enjoyed a few pints of Guinness in the Leitrim Inn over the years, very sad to what’s happened, thankfully on one serious injured.
  • edited December 2023

The Met Office:-

“Due to the lack of any observed trends, there haven’t been any studies so far which provide a link between changes in UK storminess and climate change. For example, the all-time record number of storms over the British Isles in winter 2013/14 couldn’t be linked to human-induced warming.

For the purposes of this quote, let’s assume we can include Ireland within the Met Offices overview for the UK…

• edited December 2023
    It seems that the same gullible fools who swallowed the Covid hoax have also been taken in by the Cimate change nonsense.
    Oh Will 😩