Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• The population of China is no longer increasing! It will soon be falling quite dramatically.

Same will be true for most countries. Birth rate is well below one!

Just because something has happened throughout our lifetimes doesn't mean it will always happen!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population/#:~:text=China%202023%20population%20is%20estimated,(and%20dependencies)%20by%20population.
    So you pick on the one significant country that is forecast to reduce its population. 

Check out the rest of the world, apart from static Europe. Africa (212% increase from 2000 to 2050)and Asia are the main concerns.

I brought up the world population stats, not just China. The forecast is to top out at around 10bn before any possible drop. Utterly unsustainable whatever we do about ULEZ areas or fossil fuels etc. And yet we still have people in this country calling on white people to have more children. Madness.
    It's deeply, deeply troubling if there really are people in this country calling on white people to have more children. 
  • People throw blame up in the air without looking inwards. 

The reason why we haven't done much to combat climate change is that the population aren't willing to forego the more expensive greener alternatives. 

The reason why governments can't run on a Green platform is the public aren't willing to foot the bill for it. 

It's everyone else's problem they'll say as they drive their cars 5 minutes down the road to see a friend.
    Or shop on Amazon for their most recent China-made purchase because it's £2 cheaper than a local shop; only to then turn around and complain about China's emissions. 
    Certainly everybody can do their bit but ultimately this must be government led. If unpopular costlier choices need to be foisted onto the public then so be it. Ordinary people have to be led by those with the power and authority to make things happen.
  • Chizz said:
    The population of China is no longer increasing! It will soon be falling quite dramatically.

Just because something has happened throughout our lifetimes doesn't mean it will always happen!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/china-population/#:~:text=China%202023%20population%20is%20estimated,(and%20dependencies)%20by%20population.
    So you pick on the one significant country that is forecast to reduce its population. 

Check out the rest of the world, apart from static Europe. Africa (212% increase from 2000 to 2050)and Asia are the main concerns.

I brought up the world population stats, not just China. The forecast is to top out at around 10bn before any possible drop. Utterly unsustainable whatever we do about ULEZ areas or fossil fuels etc. And yet we still have people in this country calling on white people to have more children. Madness.
    It's deeply, deeply troubling if there really are people in this country calling on white people to have more children. 
    Yeah any movement into 'we need to decide which type of people we want to have children' is borderline fascism. 
  • Chizz said:
    The population of China is no longer increasing! It will soon be falling quite dramatically.

Yeah any movement into 'we need to decide which type of people we want to have children' is borderline fascism. 
    I don't think it's 'borderline' 
  • Over 1000 private jets made their way to the superbowl a few days ago I hear, as I cut out the greasy part to my cardboard pizza box. #doingmybit
  • Over 1000 private jets made their way to the superbowl a few days ago I hear, as I cut out the greasy part to my cardboard pizza box. #doingmybit
    Yet any increase in tax on fuel-use is refused because it may affect cars or holiday prices. 
  • Chizz said:

Sorry, I know its The Guardian,  but it is an example. I have read other quotes previously made by Conservatives, so not even extreme right wingers. I don't buy into the party as far right btw. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/06/conservative-calls-women-more-babies-hide-pernicious-motives
  • Chizz said:

Sorry, I know its The Guardian,  but it is an example. I have read other quotes previously made by Conservatives, so not even extreme right wingers. I don't buy into the party as far right btw. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/06/conservative-calls-women-more-babies-hide-pernicious-motives
    This has the potential to be interpreted as have more white babies if someone wanted to. I'm not certain it is, but could be persuaded, either way I'm opposed to its message.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/families-should-have-more-children-to-care-for-ageing-uk-population-minister-says
    I expect they all paid for carbon credits to offset their carbon footprint so they were carbon neutral. 
    What a nonsense that system is.
    You shouldn't be able to sell your carbon saving to someone who creates more than they should.

• Chizz said:

It’s only heading in one direction, unfortunately. Let’s see where it goas after the next election. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The election of Trump in November isn’t going to help matters either.
  • Just had my first al fresco lunch of the year. I know it's not good, but need to make the most of it.
  • Question for all the EV drivers. Does the home charging point have a timer on it ? Octopus have a tariff that is very cheap and created by Octopus specifically for EV’s. The period of cheap tariff is between 00:30 and 04:30. Great if you can time your charger to start at 00:30 but more of a pain if it’s purely manual. TIA
  • Even if they’re not automatic, plug timers are very cheap and easy to use. 
  • Question for all the EV drivers. Does the home charging point have a timer on it ? Octopus have a tariff that is very cheap and created by Octopus specifically for EV’s. The period of cheap tariff is between 00:30 and 04:30. Great if you can time your charger to start at 00:30 but more of a pain if it’s purely manual. TIA
    I can set my car to charge between specific times. I imagine you can do this with the vast majority of EV's.
  • edited February 19
    Got the Ohme home pro charger which can be specifically paired with the intelligent Octopus Tariff and you can just flick a button on the app so it will only charge at the cheap tariff times. Either way I'd imagine most chargers have the option to set a timeframe
  • How many more years do we think it will be before EV charging is subject to a tax / tariff to offset  lost revenue from petrol / diesel?
  • How many more years do we think it will be before EV charging is subject to a tax / tariff to offset  lost revenue from petrol / diesel?
    Got to happen hasn’t it. 
    Got to happen hasn’t it. 
    Makes (I think) the cash / affordability calculation on buying an EV 'interesting' at the moment.

If I understand correctly the 2nd hand value of EVs has fallen as well so if you take the view the cash advantage of running costs may not be there for too long the premium price EVs tend to have make them an expensive gamble  today in some respects. Could be they make most sense on a PCP / Finance basis in the immediate short term (or at least until they don't attract a premium price over petrol/diesel).

• More disturbing news. We’re seemingly sleepwalking into something worse than mankind has ever experienced. 

More climate records fall in world's warmest February https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68428348
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 7
    More disturbing news. We’re seemingly sleepwalking into something worse than mankind has ever experienced. 

More climate records fall in world's warmest February https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68428348

Very worrying, yet we still have politicians in this country calling for us to cancel our net zero targets for political gain.
    You night get away with that, but veering towards political content. Says it all that the perception amongst them is that its not a vote winner. Who has it as their number one priority to deal with I wonder? Not many I bet, and until that changes, the focus will remain elsewhere.
  • swordfish said:
    More disturbing news. We’re seemingly sleepwalking into something worse than mankind has ever experienced. 

Very worrying, yet we still have politicians in this country calling for us to cancel our net zero targets for political gain.
    You night get away with that, but veering towards political content. Says it all that the perception amongst them is that its not a vote winner. Who has it as their number one priority to deal with I wonder? Not many I bet, and until that changes, the focus will remain elsewhere.
    It shouldn't be political as it affects every person and every living thing on the planet. 

It is devastating for all the wildlife that cannot quickly adapt to the rapidly changing conditions and for humans that need the wildlife to survive. 
  • swordfish said:

It shouldn't be political as it affects every person and every living thing on the planet. 

It is devastating for all the wildlife that cannot quickly adapt to the rapidly changing conditions and for humans that need the wildlife to survive. 
    It appears many either don't appreciate that, or worse simply don't care, or if they do, not enough. 
  • Out of interest and at a slight tangent, do we know if, as a nation, we have collectively used less energy for domestic use (heating) in say the last 2 years?

I wonder if as consumers we are doing the right things and if cost of living pressure has driven it?
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

It appears many either don't appreciate that, or worse simply don't care, or if they do, not enough. 
    Sadly you are right.
  • Out of interest and at a slight tangent, do we know if, as a nation, we have collectively used less energy for domestic use (heating) in say the last 2 years?

I wonder if as consumers we are doing the right things and if cost of living pressure has driven it?
    This graph would suggest that first, the UK's power consumption has gradually reduced since the start of 2009; and second, the proportion of power generated by gas has reduced gradually; by coal has reduced enormously; and by wind has increased hugely.  

In addition, this article explains the background to the wrong decision by Centrica to close gas storage plants up to before 2018, despite the real and obvious risks of reliance on hydrocarbon imports.  This is, of course, significantly before "Ukraine" and "Covid" could be cited as the reasons for high energy prices in the UK.  You can see from the graph the increase in the "Imports" line - something that could and probably should have been avoided. 
  • So that’s good news in the main then that actually we are consuming less.  
  • So that’s good news in the main then that actually we are consuming less.  
    Absolutely but the reality is that we’ve (the world) breached that 1.5 degree limit we set some years ago. I’d like to think otherwise but I don’t see that breach being the zenith of what’s going to happen. Truth is we don’t know quite when we reach the point of no return or exactly when major catastrophic climatic events will start. It could all be a lot closer or begin much quicker than we expect.