Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    It’s taken him months and he’s ruined our season, but finally second half today he put us in a 3-5-2 and it was the best we’ve looked for ages. Hopefully he keeps playing it, then I might be prepared to give him a bit longer (I have been Appleton out for ages). If we go 3-5-2 and build for that then I think that’s a good plan and I’d give him time, unless we keep losing 
    We cant really play a 3-5-2 with CBT in the team though. 

And for me, and why I keep banging on about it - it’s the biggest issue we have currently. Our squad is not fully suited to play a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2.

It feels like maybe we are buying players for a 3-5-2 especially with the money we are willing to spend on a striker. 

Guess we will see soon enough if that’s the way we are going. 

That second half today was better than we’ve played for ages with CBT in the team, and he’s leaving. It’s a far better set up for what we have and it’s taken Appleton far too long to realise it 
  • He served up some of the worst performances we have seen in years and should have been gone over Christmas.
    Awful performance in the first half where a number of players had no idea what was being asked of them- what has he done all week (again!)
    showed no passion throughout the game and saw Fleming doing more of the communication today than he did.
    Only way we go with him is down 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    It’s taken him months and he’s ruined our season, but finally second half today he put us in a 3-5-2 and it was the best we’ve looked for ages. Hopefully he keeps playing it, then I might be prepared to give him a bit longer (I have been Appleton out for ages). If we go 3-5-2 and build for that then I think that’s a good plan and I’d give him time, unless we keep losing 
    We cant really play a 3-5-2 with CBT in the team though. 

And for me, and why I keep banging on about it - it’s the biggest issue we have currently. Our squad is not fully suited to play a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2.

It feels like maybe we are buying players for a 3-5-2 especially with the money we are willing to spend on a striker. 

Guess we will see soon enough if that’s the way we are going. 

That second half today was better than we’ve played for ages with CBT in the team, and he’s leaving. It’s a far better set up for what we have and it’s taken Appleton far too long to realise it 
    Brave person to drop CBT mate. 
  • I think 3-5-2 is the way to go next season and CBT going will help that. CBT has been one of our stars this season but really good wing backs (Watson and Edun are not yet those) may actually improve us.
  • edited January 13
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CBT is injured.. wasn’t dropped!

Appleton will not be going anywhere, he will
    have this season and at least until November next year.. so I would just get behind him..

I think we will see a lot of improvements now 
    Not seen anyone say CBT was dropped.

Hope you mean November this year? If so then November it is, but a waste of time and another season I'm afraid. Might as well bin him off now and be done with it.
  • I know i’m in the vast majority here but I do feel at some point we do need to what Wimbledon did with Jacko last year just allow a manager stay in situ and give them 2 or 3 windows to craft a decent squad and style of play. Would I prefer it to not be Apples proablly but sacking him now and appointing someone rew is just another step further back 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

have this season and at least until November next year.. so I would just get behind him..

I appreciate the positivity, but we have no wins in 10. I don’t think it will happen as having a full bench again will be another to stop us conceding the late goals, but we don’t win in next 5 or so, I am not sure how he can bullet proof when we are on double figures without a win. The fact we are on losing by the odd goal has kept him secure. If we start losing by 3 or 4 against Bolton, Blackpool or Derby then things will be very different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Appleton's League record is now absolutely identical to Ben Garner's ie. P20 W5 D9 L6 Pts 24 - this notably excludes two abysmal FA Cup performances.  
  • edited January 13
    DubaiCAFC said:

Not really that hard to do is it?
    If we sacked him how many League 1 jobs would he land? - zero. So why is he good enough for us? 
    Dreadful appointment no matter how hard you try to convince us otherwise. 
    As I said last week, there is a reason Ferguson, Challinor, Powell (interim) was all approached before him. 4th choice for a reason. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Hope you mean November this year? If so then November it is, but a waste of time and another season I'm afraid. Might as well bin him off now and be done with it.
    You need to give a manager a chance, with the players he wants, and be given the tools.. post January I will start to judge him
  • I don’t rate Appleton, but I don’t think he can be blamed for Campbell 1, Campbell 2 and Edun’s performances in the first half. No manager can plan for players deciding they don’t need to defend and giving the ball away so easily.

I had to watch a stream with Peterborough commentators and they were embarrassed about them on our behalf.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Hmmmm, we'll see.  

Regardless of my insisting he should be given time, things are not looking good.

Why November btw?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You need to give a manager a chance, with the players he wants, and be given the tools.. post January I will start to judge him
    No judge him from his first game as like he and Andy Scott said in their interviews, they think the squad should be doing better then what it was. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Hmmmm, we'll see.  

Regardless of my insisting he should be given time, things are not looking good.

Why November btw?
    Need a scapegoat for the summer transfer window like Holden was. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

As is your prerogative. I just think he's a useless twonk, never wanted him, get rid now. Whenever he does leave he'll leave with us still in League One of that I'm certain.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 13
    I can’t recall if he was given a vote of confidence in Wednesday’s meeting or not 🤔. Hopefully he was because that’s quite often the beginning the end for a Manager/ Head Coach.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Yeah let's just ignore a quarter of the season because a manager can't manage. 
    Mate, don’t know who you are, but you bore me with your constant negativity..And not allowing the owners a chance. Rome wasn’t built in a day..

Today is the only day for me, he has got tactically wrong, before this, we have had a depleted squad, with over hyper youngsters playing! 
     :D He's won 1 game in 11. And you think today is the only day he's been tactically wrong? Do you watch our games or just get told how well we play by your sources?  
    Issues before today has been the lack of players.. it hasn’t been great, and no one has said it has been.. but what’s the point of recruiting players for a manager then sacking them, then another manager comes in with a different ideas???

He needs a chance with what he wants, then judge..

• edited January 13
    CH4RLTON said:
    I know i’m in the vast majority here but I do feel at some point we do need to what Wimbledon did with Jacko last year just allow a manager stay in situ and give them 2 or 3 windows to craft a decent squad and style of play. Would I prefer it to not be Apples proablly but sacking him now and appointing someone rew is just another step further back 
    That is how I see it. We will simply sack Appleton and replace him with Pearton. We have to change that model and whilst Appleton wouldn't be my choice, he is in situ and we have to follow a plan. Having said that he has to start winning some games soon and if he were to lose the next two that might be it for him. I don't think he will but he is still at risk as we do need to see improvements. Despite today's result, I think the 2nd half was a big improvement. Appleton needs to follow up on that.
  • edited January 13
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Yeah let's just ignore a quarter of the season because a manager can't manage. 
    Mate, don’t know who you are, but you bore me with your constant negativity..And not allowing the owners a chance. Rome wasn’t built in a day..

Today is the only day for me, he has got tactically wrong, before this, we have had a depleted squad, with over hyper youngsters playing! 
     :D He's won 1 game in 11. And you think today is the only day he's been tactically wrong? Do you watch our games or just get told how well we play by your sources?  
    Issues before today has been the lack of players.. it hasn’t been great, and no one has said it has been.. but what’s the point of recruiting players for a manager then sacking them, then another manager comes in with a different ideas???

He needs a chance with what he wants, then judge..

I thought the point was you recruit players for a system so that when you sign a new manager you get one that will play that same system so you don't constantly have a churn of players. That's what we've been told and hence why Holden went because he changed system.