Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Grade A cock
  • Jayajosh said:
    Was sacked by Blackpool for winning 1 game in 11. Sound familiar?
    Then he got replaced by another bloke who won 2 in 14 and then also got sacked. Turns out the players might not have been very good.

Sound familiar?
    So they did sack the next guy then, and didn't just stick with him for the sake of it. Interesting 
  • edited January 7
    Croydon said:
    Jayajosh said:
    Then he got replaced by another bloke who won 2 in 14 and then also got sacked. Turns out the players might not have been very good.

Sound familiar?
    So they did sack the next guy then, and didn't just stick with him for the sake of it. Interesting 
    Ditching Appleton for a no mark manager like Mick McCarthy, who took over during the January transfer window, didn't exactly transform their season for the better

Far more likely to improve our form  are the incoming players and ones returning from injury. You won't win anything with kids, and Apples has no option but to play too many of them at present. 

Edit - I'm not just blaming the kids though. The senior pros aren't good enough and pulling their weight, and Apples is hardly impressing. 
  • Talal said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Talal said:
    I don't like him, I mean I really don't like him, but not sure what he could've done differently realistically? Feel this one is on the players. 
    His tactics are shit, his subs are shit, the whole teams mental fragility is shit. What have you been watching?
    I think he's an awful manager if that helps you, but what did you want him to do differently today, say after we'd gone 3-2 up? 
    Back to basics after a terrible run of late goals conceded: working in training on 4-5-1 to close the game out. Concentrating on stopping play through the lines - dobbo to sweep up balls through the bank of 4 midfielders in front of him. 

Worth a try - doing nothing isn’t working after all. 
  • edited January 7
    MrLargo said:
    Have a read of his managerial record if you're not familiar with it already: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Appleton

1 promotion with Oxford from League 2 and did okay the following season. Aside from that, it's an absolute disaster. It is quite extraordinary that he continues to find employment as a professional football manager. The only thing to be grateful for is that we'll only have to pay up  a 2-year contract. Blackpool gave him 4 years!

Without doubt, there are shortcomings with the playing squad, and an over reliance on youth, which urgently needs to be addressed. That is not his fault. That is why we are not good enough to be challenging for promotion. However, we are consistently throwing away points against sides that are more concerned with relegation than promotion, and that is his fault. Port Vale, Burton, Cambridge, Orient, etc, they are all operating on a shoestring budget compared to us. We've thrown away points late on in 6 of the last 7 games. Why has that not been addressed? After the second or third time that happened, "how to defend a lead" and "how to hold on to a point" should have been the main focus in training. But it clearly hasn't been, because absolutely nothing has changed. Same as Cabbles, I said he'd be gone by March - thought at the time I was being humorously pessimistic but, as it turns out, he'll be lucky to make it to February.

You only have to look at his first 3 permanent managerial jobs... A collapsing Pompey going through a bunch of very dodgy owners in a row, Oyston's Blackpool, Venkys Blackburn mid protests.

The man is prepared to work for literally anyone and whilst people say he puts no effort into winning over fans I would say he actually does not care about this in any way shape or form hence why he was prepared to work in those environments.

We, like most clubs, do better when fans, players and manager all have a relationship and are supporting each other. It's why our promotions have always come under ex players being out manager. 

Holden tried building that rapport and was dumped way too quickly by the lot in charge imo all because Andy Scott wanted a winning mentality with the excellent, promotion capable squad he claimed to have put together. The squad is rubbish, I don't particularly blame Apple's for the results but his lack of any effort to build rapport with the fans means there is no surprise it has turned toxic quickly. It is a huge failing of his.

Not making a rapport was something that a lot of fans of clubs he'd managed before immediately brought up as a weakness when he was appointed. Seems like it's part of who he is as a manager that he just doesn't see it as important.

And ultimately I think that will be what brings about his downfall. Surely he did his research, spoke to people within the game who had worked here before and could have at least made an effort? 

Worst since Karel? I think it's close with him and Slade , 2 uninspiring EFL journeyman appointments that never tried to get the fans on board.
  • I have flipped from wanting him out to giving him the window. These are not his players and we can't keep changing managers. Along with the CB, CM and ST, you have to replace both full backs. Asiimwe is not far off so maybe one new one. It is noticeable how weak they both are and how few crosses they block.
  • Think we're reaching the point where the season has gone so we're limping on until we can just put an interim in until the end of the season then we can get a new manager in for the summer. Recruit around the players we have and start to build a good, cohesive culture at the club. This season is over already
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 7
    Agreed. I want him gone but if he's sacked now there's a fat chance of getting someone decent in, we'd end up with Lee Johnson most likely. Sack him in Feb/March and go for Michael Duff, or another competent manager like that.
  • Talal said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Talal said:
    I don't like him, I mean I really don't like him, but not sure what he could've done differently realistically? Feel this one is on the players. 
    His tactics are shit, his subs are shit, the whole teams mental fragility is shit. What have you been watching?
    I think he's an awful manager if that helps you, but what did you want him to do differently today, say after we'd gone 3-2 up? 
    Back to basics after a terrible run of late goals conceded: working in training on 4-5-1 to close the game out. Concentrating on stopping play through the lines - dobbo to sweep up balls through the bank of 4 midfielders in front of him. 

Worth a try - doing nothing isn’t working after all. 
    The problem with that is it’s what 4-3-3 is supposed to look like when you’re defending - our wingers are weak defensively. It should happen naturally but CBT and Campbell aren’t the best at tracking back, pressing and tackling. I doubt Chem when available would be much better either.
  • Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    Jayajosh said:

Sound familiar?
    Ditching Appleton for a no mark manager like Mick McCarthy, who took over during the January transfer window, didn't exactly transform their season for the better

Far more likely to improve our form  are the incoming players and ones returning from injury. You won't win anything with kids, and Apples has no option but to play too many of them at present. 

Edit - I'm not just blaming the kids though. The senior pros aren't good enough and pulling their weight, and Apples is hardly impressing. 
    That isn't my point. They sacked Appleton, McCarthy came in and was crap so they sacked him too.

My point is it's possible for clubs to admit they got it wrong and sack two managers in quick succession. For some reason a decent chunk of our fanbase don't seem to think that's possible.
    Of course it is possible. Look how many managers we have had in recent years. Does it help? Look how many managers we have had in recent years. I would say, my gut tells me, that any manager with the injuries and players Appleton has at his disposal is going to find it hard. Seeing he played zero part in any of them being here, it seems reasonable to give him the window. Not saying he has been great but we will only replace him with another manager who is swimming in the same pond, unless something special becomes available.
  • Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    Jayajosh said:

Sound familiar?

That isn't my point. They sacked Appleton, McCarthy came in and was crap so they sacked him too.

My point is it's possible for clubs to admit they got it wrong and sack two managers in quick succession. For some reason a decent chunk of our fanbase don't seem to think that's possible.
    Of course it is possible. Look how many managers we have had in recent years. Does it help? Look how many managers we have had in recent years. I would say, my gut tells me, that any manager with the injuries and players Appleton has at his disposal is going to find it hard. Seeing he played zero part in any of them being here, it seems reasonable to give him the window. Not saying he has been great but we will only replace him with another manager who is swimming in the same pond, unless something special becomes available.
     Anyone becomes available at the right price.
    This lot are not willing to spend it which is why we will continue to end up with no marks like Appleton.
  • edited January 7
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    Jayajosh said:

Sound familiar?

We've had a succession of managers that were cheap. Bowyer was bargain bucket but achieved well above what was expected. Jackson, Holden, Garner, Adkins were all choices that were made with cost reduction in mind, hence why none of them have worked out. Same with every manager under Roland, all cheap options.

If the owners are serious we should be able to attract a decent manager. The fact that the best they could get in was an out of work Appleton should have rung alarm bells.
  • I have flipped from wanting him out to giving him the window. These are not his players and we can't keep changing managers. Along with the CB, CM and ST, you have to replace both full backs. Asiimwe is not far off so maybe one new one. It is noticeable how weak they both are and how few crosses they block.
    'His players' are serial losers if you look at his managerial history. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Quite simply, there are some glaring weaknesses in the side. I think, and I don't know for sure, but I think he knows where they are. I'd like to see if he does. If we had a top manager lined up I would say sack him but the truth is, if we do sack him we will probably bring in Pearton or Bananaton. I wouldn't have sacked Holden because I could see why we were failing and Appleton is in the same sort of position he was.

In terms of his interviews when he tries to big up the side. I get frustrated but I would do the same if I was manager of such a young group. What is he supposed to do? Hang them out to dry? 
  • That post match interview was cringeworthy.I can only presume he interviews better when applying for jobs or only assume he has an album of compromising pictures of all the lower leagues ownership teams. The club is completely losing its identity with him around..marginally more inspiring than fraeye .Just a time server waiting for a pay off 
  • Has no plan B, nor C. This rigidity only works when you have THE BEST players man for man in the league, as bar occasional upsets, you can undo most opposition with what you have at your disposal. In our mediocre squad position, you need plans A through E dependent on the players available to you to counter and then overcome what’s opposing you. Our players are made to look worse through persisting with the rigid structure and game plan they are led to deliver. That said, one or two need to not drop off at points throughout the game, whichever the formation and structure/tactics they are playing. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    swordfish said:
    Croydon said:
    Jayajosh said:

Sound familiar?

We've had a succession of managers that were cheap. Bowyer was bargain bucket but achieved well above what was expected. Jackson, Holden, Garner, Adkins were all choices that were made with cost reduction in mind, hence why none of them have worked out. Same with every manager under Roland, all cheap options.

If the owners are serious we should be able to attract a decent manager. The fact that the best they could get in was an out of work Appleton should have rung alarm bells.
    And it is of course the right decision to keep sacking them if they prove to be poor.  Appleton hasn’t had a window granted, but everything so far is pointing to a disaster of an appointment.  He could turn it round, but looking at his record, and how it’s played out, could you say hand on heart, this is going to work?

absolutely it’s on the owners if the appointment doesn’t work out, and this current mob are 0 for 2 on Appleton and Holden, and TS was 0 for 3 on Adkins, Jackson and Garner.  Some people might point to Jackson doing at okay at AFC and say we should’ve stuck with him, but at the time, the size of the task and his inexperience as manager also meant the job was beyond him.  All this points to the fact that as bad as it is for the club and building for the future, if we’ve got the wrong man, or men in our case (since Bowyer imo), then you have to sack them.  Why keep them here, just to give them a couple of windows.  Can you imagine how bad it would’ve got had we still had Garner?  

As mentioned this is all on the bad running of the club in appointing all of these, but for me, Garner and Holden shouldn’t have got anywhere near this job, Jackson got it on familiarity, connection and by default, Adkins just didn’t work out and it looks like Appleton will tread a similar path. 

It’s poor to keep getting rid of them, but I dread to think how bad it may have been had any of them stayed 
  • Well he has a full week of training this week, so if he can't improve defense this week, there is no hope 
  • Appleton seems to me a bit of an Albatross around the club. No personality, no enthusiam, in my opinion offers nothing. Let's see what his two loan signings bring to the club. Biggest regret at the moment just purchased a half season ticket. Presume both the recent loan signings have played for him before as has MacGrandles.
    I think the fact he has been allowed to sign players he has worked with before and have both have said he was part of the reason they came ( I know they all say that) but I would seem strange if they sack him now, however there will come a point where if the bad results and late goals continue especially once he has his own players in then we will have to pull the trigger. I have absolute no idea how or why, but I have strange feeling he will pull things right around :) lol