Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Two managers appointed by this crowd and don't tell me they had no say in Holden being appointed. Doing well so far for new management, might even get us promoted from League 2 in the future 😠
  • Is it like, I dunno, Methven in charge, or Paul Elliot?
    Who the bejaysus knows anyway?

• ross1 said:
    Two managers appointed by this crowd and don't tell me they had no say in Holden being appointed. Doing well so far for new management, might even get us promoted from League 2 in the future 😠
    Some will say they've only had 1 transfer window as well
  • He's a manager who's got the good fortune to have the top scorer in the league but can't get us anywhere near the play off places. Jog on Appleton.
  • edited December 2023
    The thing is we appointed Jackson because he was cheaper than Adkins, Holden cos he was cheaper than Jackson and Appleton because he was cheaper than Holden. 
    Who the fudge will be cheaper than Appleton, the feller from Cray Valley Paper Mills?

On reflection, at least that feller played two up top and his team looked dangerous…
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I think he lost the dressing room by the look of the some of the body language , he was bought in by Scott being touted as player who can coach and improve the young players and yet all he seems to do is balmae the young players and say we need buy experienced players who don’t need as much coaching 

This x100
  • edited December 2023
    Appleton still has credit with me. Squad is struggling with injuries and is full of kids on the bench. Blame us 100% on the Recruitment team than management for me. However, I don’t understand why L Watson can’t get a start in midfield
    Jesus Christ, how did he even start with credit, was it because of his big arms?
  • Sponsored links:

• When Oxford get a last minute winner and Charlie is jumping up and down in delight .... 
    in a sick sort of way,  for some Charlton fan frothing I wouldn't mind that 
  • edited December 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    Appleton still has credit with me. Squad is struggling with injuries and is full of kids on the bench. Blame us 100% on the Recruitment team than management for me. However, I don’t understand why L Watson can’t get a start in midfield
    Jesus Christ, how did he even start with credit, was it because of his big arms?
    Why wouldn’t he start with credit?. Not going to be anti him because he wasn’t my first choice. Same reason why any new signings in January will be in credit until they show they clearly aren’t good enough. 

In hindsight I wish we had just stuck with Jackson the last 18 months. Don’t think we would have been any better/worse than current showing.

Personally can’t believe any manager would be wanting to play Dan Kanu 90 mins week in week out in L1 football. Appleton doesn’t have a choice, because Tedic is pony and T Campbell is bang out of form on the wing. 

• I can see absolutely no logic in playing inexperienced youngster Kanu (a centre forward) wide right, when you have another inexperienced youngster Tyrece Campbell who's natural position is wide right.
    Campbell has regressed terribly in recent weeks, his confidence appears to have been shattered, and that isn't surprising given the way Appleton has messed him around.
    In fact all the promising youngsters now appear to be going backwards. Campbell, Assimway, Anderson, even Leaburn before his injury.
    Have not seen Campbell control a ball while running. If he is the best of the Academy then thats needs a shake up too. Not even pub league standard.
  • Has he gone yet?
  • I'm not one for chopping and changing managers but really does feel like Appleton was just the wrong man for it.

Meant to develop youngsters, but they've all got worse under him - every single one of them.

Meant to be good defensively but we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives.

Meant to be a tactical coach but we don't seem to have any tactic other than hoping CBT can magic a chance up. His Plan B us lumping it forward to an isolated 5'7 striker.

When Leaburn and Aneke got injured I said that it would be interesting to see how Appleton does with the limited options that Holden had for the dismal start. Not looking like an improvement so far. 
  • It was going well when he first came in, yes we had Aneke and Leaburn and they are a big miss, but, for whatever reason Appleton just completely abandoned the approach that was working well once they were out and scott Fraudster was fit.

All he had to do (imo) was start Tedic up top, C. Campbell right, keep May in the 10 role and Watson alongside Dobson. Sub on Assimwe and T. Campbell for the second half right sided injection and Kanu and Fraser on as needed. Same shape, similar players, same approach.

But, no, just decided to chuck Fraser straight back in and flip a coin as to where to play May each game, show up T. Campbell's inexperience by starting too much and sweep Chem and Watson to one side.

• If the yard stick for Holden was not maintaining play off form then Appleton should be right under it.

Seemingly bombing players out of squads for 8 games then starting them in an unfavored position for next 4 shows where we are with him. Seems that to show some level of discipline he needs to have a player completely outed (usually a loan player). Tedic is bang average but if you’re smash the ball up the pitch for the majority of the game you’re better him than May. 

Not sure Scott will cling to him, doubt any investor is looking at this with any degree of comfort - suspect he’ll make him the fall and he will go. 

We can complain about the running of the club but don’t think Appleton can point fingers when he’s gets the boot.

• Given how they have played recently, I feel like MA has all but lost the dressing room already. Majority of this team will be here for the rest of the season and I struggle to see how things will change between now and the summer.

Either they aren't listening to him, don't care or both.
  • Appleton is the master of using lots of words to say...nothing...witness all pressers, though some journos ask more challenging questions than others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apples out. We are nowhere near a promotion team but he should be beating the likes of Orient and Gillingham. He will never connect with fans to galvanise us. God forbid he has any input into the window. 
    He won't, Scott will.  Oh joy.
  • ross1 said:
    Two managers appointed by this crowd and don't tell me they had no say in Holden being appointed. Doing well so far for new management, might even get us promoted from League 2 in the future 😠
    And therein lies the problem.
    Not forgetting the root of our problems over in Belgium.
  • Chunes said:
    Today a Blackpool fan and a Lincoln fan replied to my tweet about how Apples left it to 75 mins when it clearly wasn't working. They said it sounded very familiar. So these obviously aren't new issues for MA. He can't set up a team and he doesn't change it when it's not working. 

We've sacked managers too soon before but maybe this one was never right in the first place. 

Had similar when he was appointed from Lincoln and Blackpool fans about how from the outside it didn't seem like a good fit given our squad and how Appleton was never really a manager to make subs. 

It also came up quite prominently that he has never been a manager to build a connection with the fans. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Why wouldn’t he start with credit?. Not going to be anti him because he wasn’t my first choice. Same reason why any new signings in January will be in credit until they show they clearly aren’t good enough. 

In hindsight I wish we had just stuck with Jackson the last 18 months. Don’t think we would have been any better/worse than current showing.

Personally can’t believe any manager would be wanting to play Dan Kanu 90 mins week in week out in L1 football. Appleton doesn’t have a choice, because Tedic is pony and T Campbell is bang out of form on the wing. 

He doesn’t have to play Kanu. This team would be better if he wants to stick to 433 (puts Fraser & Chem in their right positions)

AMB
    T.Watson Hector Jones Edun
    L.Watson Dobson
    Fraser
    C.Campbell May CBT

Tyreece or Chem are much better right wing options than Kanu & I personally would also consider swapping Tennai with Asiimwe based on recent form.
  • edited December 2023
    I’m not a big Micky Apples fan, but sacking him would be just papering over the cracks.

We need to push the boat out on good signings, if we are going to ever get out of this division, and stay out of league one, not buy players that really aren’t good enough (attitude and ability) for where we want to go.
  • Fumbluff said:

He doesn’t have to play Kanu. This team would be better if he wants to stick to 433 (puts Fraser & Chem in their right positions)

AMB
    T.Watson Hector Jones Edun
    L.Watson Dobson
    Fraser
    C.Campbell May CBT

Tyreece or Chem are much better right wing options than Kanu & I personally would also consider swapping Tennai with Asiimwe based on recent form.
    If we are continuing with this shit system then I’d at least put May back in the position he scored goals in  

AMB 
    Watson Hector Jones Edun 
               Watson Dobson 
    Chem           May        CBT
                       Kanu 

but what we should actually be doing is putting May in his best position that he scored 40odd goals in at Cheltenham and building around that 

AMB
        Jones Hector Thomas 
    Watson                        Edun 
        Watson Dobson Fraser 
                 Kanu   May 

Add a new CB, CM and ST into that team and I think it’s an 11 that does reasonably well at this level. Appletons system probably needs a lot more surgery, especially with CBT (who papers over a lot of Appleton’s systems cracks) leaving now/summer