Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Having failed to tempt Sir Alex out of retirement,and accepted that Mr Klopp is happy in his work just who did we expect to take this job.No person who is already employed would leave their position to come here.So we have to select from the unemployed.Michael Appleton has got the job seeing off it seems several other candidates,I hope he does not see the comments on this forum because he will realise that most of the fan base already before a ball is kicked have no faith in him,making his task even harder.
    Is it too much to ask ,that we sit back,watch what happens over the next few weeks and draw our conclusions then,in the meantime give him all the support we can ,especially at home games where it makes all the difference.
     It is I'm afraid.
    We are sick to the back teeth of waiting for jam tomorrow from the clowns that continue to plague us.
    It goes along these lines.As long As Duchatelet continues to have a hold on us, we will continue to attract rats like Methven and managers that really aren't up to the job. And until something changes I will continue to moan about it.
    Nail on head.

As long as Duchatelet owns the Valley all our owners will be chancers. 
    Some people on here say owning the Valley is not a priority. 
    I say it is.
    Since the club and the Valley have been separated our owners have been.
    Esi 1
    Esi 2
    A guitar playing egomaniac 
    This bunch of pricks. 

Until a Knight in shining armour persuads the Belgium dick head to sell the Valley at a reasonable price we will continue to attract the same type of shit we are dealing with now.
    Order, Order (This bunch of pricks).
    Surely you mean Knobheads, some pricks are useful.
  • thenewbie said:
    My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

It's true that Appleton has had success and he is meant to be a good coach, especially with young players but it doesn't scream "we've got billionaires owners with ambition and passion" rather "it's the best we can do on our self-imposed small budget as no one on the up would come so we got a journeyman in".

But on reflection none of that is Appleton's fault.

He is the manager (sod this head coach nonsense) and so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

And some good luck, with injuries and with emerging talent, is what he will need.

I also hope he can bring in his own backroom team.

There is a half decent squad here to work with when they are all fit, motivated and clear on their roles.

If Appleton can weld them into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts he might bring us some success.

But I fear success for the fans (challenging for promotion and at least a top six finish) may be be different from success for the SMT (cost savings and player sales) and Appleton will be hard pressed to  achieve both.
    Not you too Henry.
    How is that success for SMT?
    Because Charlie has told his American friends that he can cut costs/reduce losses to make the investment more efficient. Its fairly possible based on the reluctance to bring players in without selling first that his figures were.... fanciful.

If some of the real money guys start to suspect just how much of a pup they've been sold then Charlie could be in a bit of a pickle.
    Ditto. Why didn't they sell Leaburn if that's the primary goal?
  • Would love to know if there has been a single positive decision this 'new ownership' has made since buying our club. 

Been one uninspiring move after the next. Proper tinpot stuff. 
    Paying the bills , covering the loses and bringing in more new signings than we ever seen at Charlton … pretty important stuff i would say 
    Yes, indeed you would

• Whilst I was getting my nails done, I heard the alert go on my phone.
    I didn’t rush to see it, waited for an opportune moment to read it.
    My beauty therapist asked me was everything alright because of the noise I made when I read the message from the Club.

Think that says all you need to know.

🙄😒
    That excited?
  • Kap10 said:
    Not an inspiring appointment  but we are not an inspiring club. Don't expect too much but Hope,as ever that his experience wins through and our worst expectations are denied.

Not much we can do whatever we think so let's get behind the club, the manager and players and see which direction this journey goes
    It’s the person that fits the criteria… DH was not inspiring but everyone took to him ,  Lennie Lawrence was even less inspiring yet turned out to be our best manager ever ….  
  • Sponsored links:

• Would love to know if there has been a single positive decision this 'new ownership' has made since buying our club. 

Been one uninspiring move after the next. Proper tinpot stuff. 
    Paying the bills , covering the loses and bringing in more new signings than we ever seen at Charlton … pretty important stuff i would say 
    Didn’t Sangaard do that ? 
  • Assume he’s bringing in his own coaching staff considering we also sacked the previous team. 
  • Would love to go back and see the exact moment in time and space, knowing just when we accidentally pissed in God's soup.
    The deal was done in May 2019.

“You can have the most euphoric end to a season, with a last minute winner at Wembley Stadium in front of 76,000 fans. But it comes at a price…”

That day really was the jackpot/lottery ticket, and we’re still paying off debt in having it. 
  • Appleton is the managerial equivalent of the Morris Marina in Top Gear.
  • "On 18 January 2023, Appleton was sacked as head coach at Blackpool, seven months after his appointment, after achieving one win in eleven games, leaving them 23rd in the Championship relegation zone."
  • Sponsored links:

• Well well well

Straight out of left field that one!
  • My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

It's true that Appleton has had success and he is meant to be a good coach, especially with young players but it doesn't scream "we've got billionaires owners with ambition and passion" rather "it's the best we can do on our self-imposed small budget as no one on the up would come so we got a journeyman in".

He is the manager (sod this head coach nonsense) and so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

And some good luck, with injuries and with emerging talent, is what he will need.

There is a half decent squad here to work with when they are all fit, motivated and clear on their roles.

If Appleton can weld them into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts he might bring us some success.

But I fear success for the fans (challenging for promotion and at least a top six finish) may be be different from success for the SMT (cost savings and player sales) and Appleton will be hard pressed to  achieve both.
    Not you too Henry.
    To get down to the 1-2 million annual loss rather than the 8 million current loss which will keep the investors onside. 
    So why didn't they sell Leaburn if that's the primary goal?
    Because they think they can get more for him after another season in L1 
    Because he was injured.
    Come next window he will be gone.
    Plying his trade abroad no doubt.
  • I don't think this squad can deliver promotion 
    I wouldn't trust this squad to deliver a pizza at the moment.
  • Rothko said:
    The responses to Elek post from Charlton fans are interesting, The general impression outside of our bubble is this is a good squad that should be up there, it's that difference of opinion between us and them, is huge, and makes you think where's the disconnect 
    Maybe it's because we've seen these players in a Charlton shirt and Elek et al have only seen them playing for other clubs?
  • Appleton is the managerial equivalent of the Morris Marina in Top Gear.
    Hey, I owned one of them and it was the worst car I ever owned 🥴
  • edited September 2023
    Ah so that explains a lot of Blackpool vitriol… he used to play for Preston.

In between all the comments about him being ex-Preston and not building connection with the fans (we’ve had plenty of that and failed recently), there’s a couple of comments in there about good football and games where your team, being underdogs, should have got more results from their performances.

Sadly looks like Appleton might have less time here to win fans over than he did at your place.
  • Far from my choice however there is not a chance the management won’t be aware of how this decision is likely to be viewed and yet they did the deal. That to me means one of 2 things.
    1. They think MA will get results and win the fan base over.
    2. They don’t give a fuck what the fans think.

I hope it’s the 1st option and the bloke takes his opportunity to be successful
  • thenewbie said:
    My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

Not you too Henry.
    Because Charlie has told his American friends that he can cut costs/reduce losses to make the investment more efficient. Its fairly possible based on the reluctance to bring players in without selling first that his figures were.... fanciful.

If some of the real money guys start to suspect just how much of a pup they've been sold then Charlie could be in a bit of a pickle.
    I think Charlie’s success or otherwise are very closely aligned with the club’s success or otherwise.
  • Is he the best manager with a fruit in his name though? 
  • I wish I hadn't read that.