Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• JFo said:
    I’ll reserve judgment, but it’s pretty cheeky for the club website to say he “has worked at the very top level” when in fact he oversaw one single premier league game as an interim boss.
    Also love the way they mention that his last job was at ‘championship’ Blackpool but fail to mention that he took them down.
    It would be nice if Methven’s PR spin credited the fans with a modicum of intelligence.
  • Russell Slade reincarnated.

Not inspired by this appointment.
  • It's not about the name, it's about the fit.
    I remember when big name Pardew came in, and how that turned out.

We change managers that often, that sooner or later we will strike it lucky again, just as we did with Curbs.

We are long overdue some luck.

I'm not interested in his Press Conferences, his interview's, his public relations exercises, or even his work in the community.
    I want him to concentrate 100% on getting us out of this division.

….lets hope we go up and now down !
  • My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

It's true that Appleton has had success and he is meant to be a good coach, especially with young players but it doesn't scream "we've got billionaires owners with ambition and passion" rather "it's the best we can do on our self-imposed small budget as no one on the up would come so we got a journeyman in".

But on reflection none of that is Appleton's fault.

He is the manager (sod this head coach nonsense) and so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

And some good luck, with injuries and with emerging talent, is what he will need.

I also hope he can bring in his own backroom team.

There is a half decent squad here to work with when they are all fit, motivated and clear on their roles.

If Appleton can weld them into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts he might bring us some success.

But I fear success for the fans (challenging for promotion and at least a top six finish) may be be different from success for the SMT (cost savings and player sales) and Appleton will be hard pressed to  achieve both.
    MA needs to spend a few hours with the defence - a clean sheet would be good!
  • Redhenry said:
    would be HMS piss the league with Pep

I know you're having a😄
    But has Pep ever worked with players that didn't have a brilliant first, second and 3rd touch.
    Why do you think Guardiola only ever has a Plan A (as stated by KDB)

The best football ever played in League 1 was Gus Poyet at Brighton (did we get a kick) as well as Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and on occasions by Ian Evatt at Bolton. 

Has Pep even worked at a club that wasn't the best in that country ? I believe not but the guy is still a genius and a perfectionist who will never let his superstars rest on they winning laurels.

• edited September 2023
    My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

It's true that Appleton has had success and he is meant to be a good coach, especially with young players but it doesn't scream "we've got billionaires owners with ambition and passion" rather "it's the best we can do on our self-imposed small budget as no one on the up would come so we got a journeyman in".

He is the manager (sod this head coach nonsense) and so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

And some good luck, with injuries and with emerging talent, is what he will need.

There is a half decent squad here to work with when they are all fit, motivated and clear on their roles.

If Appleton can weld them into a team that is greater than the sum of its parts he might bring us some success.

But I fear success for the fans (challenging for promotion and at least a top six finish) may be be different from success for the SMT (cost savings and player sales) and Appleton will be hard pressed to  achieve both.
    You got the issue in one. The SMT/owners do not care about the fans - that much is obvious from their short time here.

Thats fair enough, but some of us are already staying away, so one way or another, unless the fans are onside then their investment may turn sour. They cannot break even by cost cutting and players sales, so they need to increase income. It will be interesting to see what happens with attendances over the next few months. 

MA has a very difficult job, but good luck to him.
  • PWR

Oh dear, I’m not liking this. A recycled failure. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    LenGlover said:
    Russell Slade reincarnated.

Not inspired by this appointment.

If Michael Appleton stands with his hands in his pockets in the technical area, looking blank like Russell Slade I will agree with you.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Clean slate. He needs to get results immediately to win fans over. The owners need that too. 

Fingers crossed and I will back him. By game 15 we should have a clear picture if he's good enough. 
    Not that I’m disagreeing with you, but say Nathan Jones got the job and lost his first three games…..what’s the difference? 
  • se9addick said:
    From meme to manager!
    But who is the new meme?
  • The depths have finally been reached poor appointment made by a shit management team.
  • Davo55 said:
    I too am apathetic, however some previous appointments have not turned out as I expected.
    Lennie Lawrence - who knew he would be a legend?
    Alan Curbishley - I'll be honest I wanted Steve Gritt,
    Alan Pardew - I was delighted when he was appointed.
    I'll be there supporting the team whatever and I wish Appleton all the best. 
    Russell Slade - know he'd be a c***
    So did I  :D
  • All those Appleton memes have finally come home to roost! 
  • Not my preference but we are a L1 team and he is a L1 manager. They say he is good with young players which is a positive but his record is not one to excite. I have just listened to Scott's interview which is 90% bullshit but he does confirm the buck stops with him.
    No this new ownership group does not fill me with confidence but it is early days and I'll give then another 10 games to prove their worth.
  • Not an inspiring appointment  but we are not an inspiring club. Don't expect too much but Hope,as ever that his experience wins through and our worst expectations are denied.

Not much we can do whatever we think so let's get behind the club, the manager and players and see which direction this journey goes
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Does he pass the 'No dickheads' policy and the height test?
  • BigDiddy said:
    That is the model since Roland and it continues development of young players and to sell them. Don’t give a fuck about the team the fans the club 
    No, this has been the model (bar the Premiership years) since we returned the The Valley - in truth long before that as well.
    We developed and sold Academy products to cover the recurring deficits in the years prior to promotion to the Prem in 1998 (Minto and Bowyer most notably).
    Selling young players is not the issue. It's when you sell them.
    If the timing is dictated simply by when you desperately need a cash injection, you'll go nowhere.
    If, as CM described, the plan is to hang on to them until their value's optimised for CAFC and make at least some of the cash available to strengthen the squad, that's how most EFL clubs can achieved progress and promotion. 
    They could have sold Leaburn after the takeover was completed on 19 July if they were the penny-pinchers they're accused of being. They probably won't have a choice at the end of the season if he continues his progress as he'll probably have Premier League suitors but that's fine. It should have added to his value.
    Time will tell if CM is good to his word and if Appleton can deliver as head coach but as for the owners' motives, as I've said until blue in the face, investing £10m+ in CAFC makes ZERO sense for the large shareholders. Unlike all owners for the past 10+ years (who are patently not interested in the club for money laundering purposes, expansion of a European network, asset-stripping or a vanity project) to aim for anything other than at least 1 promotion.
    That's not to say they'll throw stupid money at the squad (they evidently won't and I'm thankful for that because it often fails and you're left in deeper shit) but it should mean they'll likely provide the working capital to enable a manager to build a promotion-capable squad over time albeit, yes, selling homegrown players along the way.
    All well and good, but if they don't get fans back in the Valley. What then?

No fans = no club, so these owners do need to spend money, because even Merlin the Fucking Magician will not get much out of our weak squad.

Start so far? 

A poor transfer window, sacked Holden, shocking league form, out of 2 cups to shit L2 opposition [& conceding 7 goals in 2 games] and a new head coach who is at best, average - they have not endeared themselves to the paying faithful.

I am trying to think of ONE decision they have got right - maybe you can help on that one?
    Regards your quote,we are only out of ONE cup still have to play Sutton and Villa at home.
  • In fairness Bowyer and Powell weren't inspiring having both been assistants in their roles immediately prior to becoming manager/head coach. 
  • My initial reaction was "uninspiring.  Mid league 1 manager for mid league 1 club.

Not you too Henry.
    How is that success for SMT?
    To get down to the 1-2 million annual loss rather than the 8 million current loss which will keep the investors onside. 

Not you too Henry.
    Because Charlie has told his American friends that he can cut costs/reduce losses to make the investment more efficient. Its fairly possible based on the reluctance to bring players in without selling first that his figures were.... fanciful.

If some of the real money guys start to suspect just how much of a pup they've been sold then Charlie could be in a bit of a pickle.
  • Would love to know if there has been a single positive decision this 'new ownership' has made since buying our club. 

Been one uninspiring move after the next. Proper tinpot stuff. 
    the only one I can think of is binning “addicts to victory “ everything else has the cheap option . 

Not you too Henry.
    To get down to the 1-2 million annual loss rather than the 8 million current loss which will keep the investors onside. 
    So why didn't they sell Leaburn if that's the primary goal?