Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Crawley vs Charlton | EFL Trophy | Tues 5th Sept 2023 [+ POST P21]

Comments

• Glorified u23 game, the reaction is well OTT. We subbed off Leaburn at HT to give him a rest, and didnt even put May in the squad. 
    Sort of agree to a point, thing is it wasn't so much the result, it was the performance and what looked like an "oh well" with a shrug of the shoulders attitude, the players almost seemed to give up when we conceded, as I said it was the lack of a performance or self belief that seemed to be on show, so OTT, can't really agree there...
  • edited September 2023
    Glorified u23 game, the reaction is well OTT. We subbed off Leaburn at HT to give him a rest, and didnt even put May in the squad. 

All true.
    But CL critics add it to the League games and the Newport cup game and see chaos when we don't have the ball.

Was too busy watching the match to get wound up by the comments live.
    With Laq, Ness, Deji and Roddy ending up as the back 4 it said to me this result didn't matter. 

Such a bizarre match with rubbish defending from both teams but some decent attacking play. (helped by a lack of marking) 
  • Justify it, brush it off, laugh at the competition, badge it as an injury maker all you want but our second string failed to beat Crawley's second string, out youth are often spoken as diamonds in the rough but Ness, Deji (who are more first team than u21´s) looked non league, Roddy and Laq schoolboy (maybe harsh on the latter). 

If we could have scored "4 or 5" more, then frankly, so could they and thats before Leaburn, Watson, Chin went off. 

And if you think Pearce told them to go out and not bother much then thats not really the attitude needed at the club, theres quite clearly issues around application and effort through out the squad, being told not to be arsed because its a tin pot game is utter bollocks, and even if he did, he clearly forgot to tell Dobson, Watson, Leaburn and Campbell because they certainly were putting the effort in.

but oh well, who cares, who wants to put a half decent performance in and grab a much needed win for form and confidence, we´ll just continue getting up to speed in the league and leave this comp as a warm up/ cool down exercise eh. 
  • Btw did anybody else see that L Watson tweaked his hammy about 3-5 mins before he was eventually subbed off? He signalled the injury or feeling, rolling his arms to come off, but gave up waiting for the substitution and sat in the centre circle rather than risk damage (1 minute earlier he was forced into making two tackles as he had not yet been subbed). Knowing our injury profile it really annoyed me. A sub should have been brought on immediately.
    Thats not how Terry Smith saw it at all. He said the problem was the idiot officials didnt let the Charlton physios on despite them requesting it, so they told him to sit down. Then a Crawley player put the ball into touch deliberately to force the ref into action. Speaking of whom can anyone explain why there was only 5.40 mins extra in the second half compared with 3.40 in the first, when there were almost as many goals, loads of subs, and actual injuries? 
  • edited September 2023
    Can't wait til October when we get turned over by Aston Villa's u23's in the EFL Cup. 
  • Sponsored links:

• For those criticising Pearce for not organising the defence, you do that by having a settled team and working together. It takes time. Remember those famous clips of George Graham endlessly working with the Arsenal back 4 with a rope? The likes of Big Sam can't transform a defence in a few days, it takes more time than that.

On Saturday we had Asiimwe, Hector, Jones, Edun.

Last night (after a day and a half of training) we started with Chin, Ness, Elerewe, Edun. We then replaced Chin with Laqeretabua (who's not even 18 yet) at HT, then replaced Edun with Roddy later in the half, so finished the game with a completely different defence than on Saturday. 

Indeed both teams were poor defensively, if we had left Leaburn on I'm sure we would have won that. I was impressed though with Crawley's attacking football under former Garner assistant Scott Lindsey. 
  • Positives first:

- thought T Campbell did well 
    - thought Leaburn did well also plus he scored
    - Dobson was Dobson
    - Thought the midfield Watson was promising

But, serious negatives: 

- Our defensive organisation is an utter shambles and very amateurish. A back to basics rework is required and I'm not talking about just the defenders. 
    - Chin is a willing horse but never looks up to the standard required
    - Kirk is just a waster. Pay him off and get him out of the building. I'm sure he's a nice bloke but not good to have involved with the team.
    - Edun doesn't need to come forward as much as he does especially with non defensive flank players like CBT and Kirk ahead of him.
    - Really not sure about our full backs doing these inside attacking runs so much. Of course it adds another dimension to our attacks but we look dreadfully exposed when we lose possession.
    - Roddy doesn't look like he should be paid for playing
    - What the fuck has happened to Ness?! I know he was injured but surely it's not just that - his confidence looks shot. He's gone from being one of the most promising central defenders outside of the Championship to a liability. I really hope he can get his mojo back because I think there's a very good player in there but he does have to get over his tactical confusion/lack of confidence - a case for another loan maybe?

Wouldn't wish to judge Tedic just on that one game.

He is missing Innis 
  • edited September 2023
    The subs changed the match for sure. But even before this we were making poor decisions. Just before half time, instead of keeping the ball and seeing out the half, we were playing quick balls up into their half. Mostly hopefull and it caused us to loose possession. This was from experienced midfielders not the youngsters.
    Surely at this point we should be pushing out of our half but in a progressive manner. Keeping possession and gaining ground. Playing just in the opposition half. Running down the clock and making Crawley work out of possession. I saw none of this last night. And it felt a little like we should be smarter as a team.
  • Blucher said:

A really good day out, stopping off at Nymans Gardens mid-afternoon before popping into two decent pubs in Crawley High Street, Brewery Shade and the White Hart. The hot weather and the relative unimportance of the result gave the game a very pleasant pre-season friendly feel. Maybe that - and the ‘new ground’ syndrome - accounted for the excellent Charlton turnout of 765. It was easy to park just by the ground and the Redz Bar at the back of the stand looked a good facility.

As for the football, it’s the second time we’ve been outplayed at a League 2 ground this season and it really is wearing very thin. Crawley were, by some distance, the better team (despite making numerous changes themselves) and ran rings around us for the first 25 minutes and for most of the second half - a little humiliating, given the chasm between our respective resources and budgets.

The only real positives were Miles Leaburn getting 45 minutes, the opportunity for Taylor, Louis Watson and  Tedić to get some game time and the promising debut of Laqeretabua, who looked strong, fast and competent (in contrast to most of his teammates).

We were a shambles at the back. Ness was shaky throughout and we just have to hope that he can recover his fine form of last season. Deji did a little better without really impressing. We also struggled down the left side and that got considerably worse when Roddy came on - I’m afraid he’s just not up to it. Unsurprisingly, neither he nor Edun received any real support from Kirk in the face of some fluid Crawley attacks.

Dobbo was a bit of a one man midfield and even had three attempts on goal in addition to his fine long range strike. Watson had a few neat touches before he went off but Taylor was once again disappointing. Crawley largely controlled the middle of the park and, unlike us, had a discernible pattern to their play, which was very impressive. We had a tendency to crumble when they pressed and resorted to passing backwards and sideways - thereby giving Crawley ample time to get in shape - and then to hoof the ball forward and hope for the best.

Tyreece Campbell was, with Dobbo, our best player on the night with his speed and directness. Tedić couldn’t get into the game when he replaced Miles at half-time, while Kirk completely disappeared in the second half after doing one or two good things in the first.

Whoever takes over as manager has one hell of a job on his hands, as the team is a long way from being top 6 challengers.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Thought Kanu looked lively when he came on. but surprised  why he wasnt he playing in a 2 with Tedic ? Also would like to know which Champo clubs did we beat to Taylors signature ? 
  • Solidgone said:
    I keep seeing this kind of comment “…not bothered about the result [cup games]” but in my opinion we should all be concerned. We should be going out to win all our matches and not resting players this early in the season. Of course, a change of personal on one or maybe two positions at the most to blood-in but not whole house changes.

What some fans seem to forget is that there were quite a few fans that attend the matches and use up hard earned cashed to support the team and its unfair on them when they are dished up with a half hearted display and losing to inferior teams. Just because some of the players would like a run out!

I think I’m starting to hit rock bottom with this club and something has to change within.
    I for one didn't attend last night expecting a full strength team, and an all out effort to get a win. I was expecting an element of squad rotation and managing minutes. If we had played a stronger side and picked up injuries to the likes of Jones or CBT, Pearce would have been slaughtered on here for picking up injuries in a "Mickey Mouse" competition.

I was MUCH more annoyed by the Newport defeat. Get a win or two in the EFL cup and there's the opportunity to play someone decent, as we had last season with the Brighton and Man U games.
  • The number of passes before the Dobson goal was ridiculous. Pretty football isn't what's needed now.
  • Crusty54 said:
    The number of passes before the Dobson goal was ridiculous. Pretty football isn't what's needed now.

Bloody good strike of the ball though in the end. Glad he is adding that to his locker this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Roddy isn’t ready. 
    and never will be
  • It’s easy to blame the defence alone - when the first line is not doing its job the defenders are over run and battered. Sort out the defensive midfield (even if it’s boring) and allow the defence some time. We have to track back and not hide.
    We know players like Lucas Ness can play but when they are swamped what are they supposed to do. They aren’t magicians….however the 4th goal was a shocker I have to say. 

It will get sorted.
  • edited September 2023
    1se7 said:
    It’s easy to blame the defence alone - when the first line is not doing its job the defenders are over run and battered. Sort out the defensive midfield (even if it’s boring) and allow the defence some time. We have to track back and not hide.
    We know players like Lucas Ness can play but when they are swamped what are they supposed to do. They aren’t magicians….however the 4th goal was a shocker I have to say. 

It will get sorted.

Liked the post, apart from the last four words, because getting it sorted is gonna take a lot of time and work, more than this season alone, but as always we live in hope that miracles will work, reality will sink in and it will be sorted...but don't bold your breath...🙄
  • For those criticising Pearce for not organising the defence, you do that by having a settled team and working together. It takes time. Remember those famous clips of George Graham endlessly working with the Arsenal back 4 with a rope? The likes of Big Sam can't transform a defence in a few days, it takes more time than that.

On Saturday we had Asiimwe, Hector, Jones, Edun.

Last night (after a day and a half of training) we started with Chin, Ness, Elerewe, Edun. We then replaced Chin with Laqeretabua (who's not even 18 yet) at HT, then replaced Edun with Roddy later in the half, so finished the game with a completely different defence than on Saturday. 

Indeed both teams were poor defensively, if we had left Leaburn on I'm sure we would have won that. I was impressed though with Crawley's attacking football under former Garner assistant Scott Lindsey. 
    Whilst I agree to an extent, the defensive issue isn't just about last night; it's been a problem all season and I'd go as far as to say it's been a problem for some time. 

Most of these guys will be in the same training sessions so should be on the same wavelength as the rest of the defence. The question is, are any of our defenders on the same wavelength?  Opposition managers must know that they can expect major errors and we have been a bit unlucky that it seems every time someone cocks up in defence, it leads to a big chance or a goal.

A Curbs syle back to basics is what is needed.
  • Positives first:

- thought T Campbell did well 
    - thought Leaburn did well also plus he scored
    - Dobson was Dobson
    - Thought the midfield Watson was promising

You missed off one of our players successfully lifting a car park barrier for a fan 
    He may have struggled to keep Crawley out, but he made up for it for me with the barrier antics.

10/10 performance from Deji & his brother with the assist 
  • Btw did anybody else see that L Watson tweaked his hammy about 3-5 mins before he was eventually subbed off? He signalled the injury or feeling, rolling his arms to come off, but gave up waiting for the substitution and sat in the centre circle rather than risk damage (1 minute earlier he was forced into making two tackles as he had not yet been subbed). Knowing our injury profile it really annoyed me. A sub should have been brought on immediately.
    Thats not how Terry Smith saw it at all. He said the problem was the idiot officials didnt let the Charlton physios on despite them requesting it, so they told him to sit down. Then a Crawley player put the ball into touch deliberately to force the ref into action. Speaking of whom can anyone explain why there was only 5.40 mins extra in the second half compared with 3.40 in the first, when there were almost as many goals, loads of subs, and actual injuries? 
    Ref wanted to put us out of our misery maybe?
  • Leuth said:
    Slept on it and I am actually really disappointed still. I understand people want to try and maintain positive no matter what and I respect that, but we just had Crawley Town's second team put 4 past a match day squad that was largely our full strength team in a league game.

I spoke to 6 Crawley Town fans after the game and they all said the same stuff. That Leaburn and Tyreece Campbell look like proper players, we looked like we had no idea how to play football, no strategy, we just played it sideways and gambled one of our forwards would do something. They aren't wrong either and it was good to get perspectives from fans who watch their team play (on paper) weaker clubs every week. They said there was literally no difference between us and a league 2 side.

I understand Pearce has only just inherited the team, but you have to question the culture of our club from top to bottom, that these lads can't handle playing a team from the division below who are also fielding a weakened side.
    You....what?!
    Here we go again,

All the players highlighted are in or around or expected to be part of our match day squads. Only players of note really missing are; CBT, May, Hector, Asiimwe, Anderson, Jones and the players on international duty. Question marks on a few of those players and whether or not they are good enough for us regardless.

If you think that wasn't a 'strong' Charlton side all things considered, I don't know what to tell you. 

Then again you think we have good defenders at the club when so far we have conceded a whopping 16 goals in 8 games resulting in 2 wins and 1 clean sheet alongl the waymaybe

There are players in your list who should be o ly in the u21 team or out on loantonoone league sides.
    6such as Roddy,  Chin, Ness, Elewere and more of them. Add to thst the senior players who look not upto it. Having  not seen the 4 new signings can not make a judgement yet.
  • they scored some crackers, the lesson is to close down opposition quicker when they are in the last third .. worrying losing to two L2 sides and conceding lots in the process .. more awareness is needed .. shows i m o that we have a decent 'top strata' of players but weaker levels below 
  • edited September 2023
    Forget the loss, the competition and even the performance.

The worry is that eight games into the new ownership era run by so called football professionals, we have lost six of them, sacked a manager they appointed in the middle of the transfer window and just conceded four goals to a League 2 reserve team.

That is a very big concern that some might classify as a crisis.