Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Crawley vs Charlton | EFL Trophy | Tues 5th Sept 2023 [+ POST P21]

Comments

• I don't think Kanu was wide right either actually, seemed to be more in the 10 role, picked up the ball a lot centrally.

For a team with 2 fullbacks and 2 wingers we played quite narrow tonight overall, the full backs, Edun in particular, tucked into central midfield when we had the ball, and both Kirk and T.C drifted inside more often than not. 
  • It's embarrassing being a Charlton fan.
    Agreed, and does make me wonder if any of the players are embarrassed by results like this.
  • edited September 2023
    At least the new players got some experience of what it is like playing for Charlton... Wonder if Tedic will ask for a return ticket in that black Merc for tomorrow.
  • Can't personally see how Edun is getting more than 5/10 on the Players Marks thread either. He gets caught out of position constantly
  • edited September 2023
    Really not bothered about this competition but sad for Jason Pearce as this will probably be his last game as manager.

honestly I was a bit worried the owners would use a win here as an excuse to not make an appointment. Especially if it had been emphatic. 

• At least the new players got some experience of what it is like playing for Charlton... Wonder if Tedic will ask for a return ticket in that black Merc for tomorrow.
    And are already putting in their transfer requests.
  • edited September 2023
    Positives:
    Minutes in legs
    Run out for the youngsters
    No injuries

Negatives:
    We are shit at defending
  • RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Off_it said:
    Oh fuck off Kirk. He's been hiding all game. Ambling about. Done nothing.
    Kirk is nothing to do with why we're losing, the defence have been shit.
    He sure as hell hasn’t helped 😂 He’s been abject.
    Ridiculous comment. 
    It’s not. He may have done one or two decent passes, but he’s not committed to one tackle, has left Roddy (who’s simply not a professional footballer) completely isolated and exposed, and has looked completely uninterested. 

You look at how much Tyreece Campbell influenced the game in 60 minutes. It was 3 times the amount that Kirk did.

There was one moment where he actually sprinted and it was a surprise. How can a professional actually surprise you by sprinting. 

The defence were woeful but you can’t tell me he wasn’t abject.

If he was abject, so was Taylor. Everyone was wanking themselves silly over Watson. I thought he looked handy for sure, but really just played some neat passes around.

Kirk played some neat passes around, didnt defend great, didnt really lose the ball much.

He was average as were a lot of them.

Abject? Not imo.
    Certainly wasn’t defending anyone else. Watson did ok. Wasn’t anything special. Taylor had a couple of decent moments but you’d like to think there is more there.

All the defence were piss poor too. (Chin had a good 20 minutes).

If we’re being honest, only Leaburn, T Campbell, Dobson and Watson came out with any credit.

Kirk has talent on the ball if there is no one five yards from him. Can pick a pass and play them along the ground nicely, But he simply can’t seem to play competitive professional football as he refuses to get close enough to anyone to touch them.

Still, I had a little bet this evening that we’d score 3 goals so not all bad!
  • People on here tend to be too critical of Chin. He made a mistake for their first goal but that was compounded by none of his fellow defenders bailing him out 
    After that he was outstanding including a great cross for Leaburn’s goal. He shows lots of promise. 
    I like Ness but he and Elewere were terrible tonight and the goalie never seems to save anything does he ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• 5 blokes just left the Valley stating, "New Manager!! You need a miracle!"
  • Kap10 said:
    5 blokes just left the Valley stating, "New Manager!! You need a miracle!"
    What were five blokes doing at the Valley?
  • Dobson - good player but not a captain. Some of them players were strolling about tonight.
  • Jayajosh said:
    It's embarrassing being a Charlton fan.
    Agreed, and does make me wonder if any of the players are embarrassed by results like this.
    Ajose when Konsa missed a penalty @ Colchester to send us out one year

"He's done everyone a favour missing that"
  • Kap10 said:
    What were five blokes doing at the Valley?
    Being interviewed ? 
  • Yet we still have fans moaning why are others so negative , we're a clusterfuck

still i dread to think what villa u21s do to us

lets get out of this shithouse
  • Some ridiculously ott comments here 

Yes I would have wanted a win, and yes the defending was awful, but that was way below our strongest team AND our best players on the night were subbed to manage minutes.

The two full backs we finished with were the 4th choice RB and 3rd choice LB, neither will play in the league this season. We had 3 senior CBs missing too.
    I’m with you mate on going OTT on non-important games, but…. there’s no disputing we lose games with our strongest team and we lose games with our weakened teams against lesser weakened teams.

8 games, 6 defeats. International break is desperately needed. Shame it doesn’t last for months. 
  • Only one reason why Roddy is a professional footballer. 

Shouldn't be anywhere near a League One starting line up, even in a meaningless cup. 
  • Sponsored links:

Shouldn't be anywhere near a League One starting line up, even in a meaningless cup. 
    Well his Dad isn't around to enforce us to give him a new Contract a few months ago, nor put him on the bench against Cheltenham on the final day, or tonight.

Yes I would have wanted a win, and yes the defending was awful, but that was way below our strongest team AND our best players on the night were subbed to manage minutes.

The two full backs we finished with were the 4th choice RB and 3rd choice LB, neither will play in the league this season. We had 3 senior CBs missing too.
    I’m with you mate on going OTT on non-important games, but…. there’s no disputing we lose games with our strongest team and we lose games with our weakened teams against lesser weakened teams.

8 games, 6 defeats. International break is desperately needed. Shame it doesn’t last for months. 
    is it because our youngsters are shit as well (i honestly don't see enough of them but they're always talked up yet don't look much cop to me when in the battle of League One ) i know we're not allowed to speak ill of our magical academy but i just want a first team i can tug off about , i'm not fussed about the kids , womens team etc 

The point is, we weren't prioritising winning the game tonight. Indeed our subs made us weaker, no way would those 2 full backs have come on if this was a must win game.

I doubt Crawley had 4 players missing on international duty either.
  • edited September 2023
    Only one reason why Roddy is a professional footballer. 

Well his Dad isn't around to enforce us to give him a new Contract a few months ago, nor put him on the bench against Cheltenham on the final day, or tonight.
    Makes it worse. Won't admit clear mistakes. 

He's sub League Two and 20 years old. 
  • Leuth said:
    It was a bit of a shambles, but the substitutions in defence turned a win into a loss. Before Laq and Roddy we were very likely to win that
    And it has to be said that Tedic was a significant drop in threat to Leaburn.
  • edited September 2023
    Kap10 said:
    Were they Five Guys Called Moe...😎

Cos Vince McMahon made us sign him? 

Makes it worse. Won't admit clear mistakes. 

He's sub League Two and 20 years old. 
    You dont think its easy for a club to say thanks, and quietly release him if they really didn't want him around? - Especially as there is no one here now who signed him in the first place?
  • The ownership have a lot to do and a few youngsters simply are not ready. Feel pretty sorry for them. Much easier to come into a winning team. Dobbo’s goal was a peach and Leaburn showed what we will be getting more of this season 👏