Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Crawley vs Charlton | EFL Trophy | Tues 5th Sept 2023 [+ POST P21]

Comments

• Defenceless Charlton, the team that guarantees it’s opposition goals galore. 
  • Enjoyable game as someone who doesn't really care about this competition in general - Its been great run out this evening for the likes of Chin / Laqeretabua who have had been given a taste of First Team Football, especially Josh, who I'm sure will go away wanting more.

Leaburn got some minutes, and got his first goal of the season.

Watson looked promising, hopefully he had to be replaced with nothing more than cramp, as looked to make things happen in Midfield.

Game changed once we had Laqeretabua | Roddy as our Full Backs - Which coincided with Watson going off, as we lost our creative outlet.
  • That was a penalty at the end though wasn't it?
  • Unless we learn to defend I really fear for us this season 
  • Solidgone said:
    Why are we always resting players but Dobbo is never rested? We should have put out our first 11 defenders to get them to gel as a defence instead of chop changing. This performance was abysmal and I don’t care what cup it is. The players should be playing to win win win and not going for a Sunday afternoon stroll because its a long season or whatever. Absolute disgrace.
    I think playing 11 defenders might be a tad excessive.
  • That was a penalty at the end though wasn't it?
    Unless it was outside the area (couldnt quite tell because of the floodlights, so couldnt clearly see the lines of the box), in which case there was an even stronger case for a Free-Kick as fouls often get given for more softer incidents outside the box
  • I’m actually dreading the FA Cup. 
    It’s essential that we go out to someone like Portsmouth in the first round. We must not play a non-league team and we must not progress to the 3rd round. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Oh fuck off Kirk. He's been hiding all game. Ambling about. Done nothing.
    Didnt he setup our second goal?
    No.
    Ah must have been a ghost that played the ball over the top to Leaburn then!
    If you're classing that as a "set-up" then football has changed ..... in the last 90 minutes.
  • aliwibble said:
    Solidgone said:
    Why are we always resting players but Dobbo is never rested? We should have put out our first 11 defenders to get them to gel as a defence instead of chop changing. This performance was abysmal and I don’t care what cup it is. The players should be playing to win win win and not going for a Sunday afternoon stroll because its a long season or whatever. Absolute disgrace.
    We still would have lost!

(meant first team 11).
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    Solidgone said:
    No, but we should try playing with 4 defenders at least.
  • edited September 2023
    Scored three goals and should easily win with that amount

But we concede four.

The proof points of our defending, season after season, roll on and on...
  • Showed some good stuff at times.  Could easily have won it at the end.  Isted a bit suspect for a couple of the goals.  Enjoyed the game though.  We need a set piece coach and someone to improve the defence as that is our weakness.  As for the hated Kirk - thought he played well (but some just want to hate).  Roddy grown a bit that's all.  Really don't think it's all doom and gloom.
  • I'd take a goalless draw at Stevenage now.
  • Unless we learn to defend I really fear for us this season 
    While a lot players are young, they’ve been playing enough years to suggest they do not need to learn this particular aspect of their job. I put it down to them being utter crap and playing at the wrong level. 
  • Really not bothered about this competition but sad for Jason Pearce as this will probably be his last game as manager.

• sam3110 said:
    Just proof once again that scoring goals isn't the issue, with our top scorer not in the squad at all tonight.

We've used Elerewe, Ness, Hector, Thomas, Mitchell, Jones, Edun, Asiimwe, Chin, Roddy, Laqeretabua and Backett-Taylor already this season, with at least another 2 defenders yet to play.

I'm sure in our promotion season under Powell we named virtually the same back 4 over and over again
    No matter how many times you try the combination, if they all aren't good enough, they will concede, even against VERY poor opposition. If these are our first team squad that any prospective manager has to work with, we'd better not expect anything other than a relegation battle, starting now. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Off_it said:
    Oh fuck off Kirk. He's been hiding all game. Ambling about. Done nothing.
    Kirk is nothing to do with why we're losing, the defence have been shit.
    He sure as hell hasn’t helped 😂 He’s been abject.
    Ridiculous comment. 
    It’s not. He may have done one or two decent passes, but he’s not committed to one tackle, has left Roddy (who’s simply not a professional footballer) completely isolated and exposed, and has looked completely uninterested. 

You look at how much Tyreece Campbell influenced the game in 60 minutes. It was 3 times the amount that Kirk did.

There was one moment where he actually sprinted and it was a surprise. How can a professional actually surprise you by sprinting. 

The defence were woeful but you can’t tell me he wasn’t abject.

If he was abject, so was Taylor. Everyone was wanking themselves silly over Watson. I thought he looked handy for sure, but really just played some neat passes around.

Kirk played some neat passes around, didnt defend great, didnt really lose the ball much.

He was average as were a lot of them.

Abject? Not imo.
  • aliwibble said:
    Lqrtbua concedes a free kick in our half but nothing comes of it.
    1/10 for effort in spelling!!
    Not going to argue with that. I have enough trouble getting the consonants in the right order at speed, let alone working out which vowels go where. Sorry Josh 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcWest said:
    Showed some good stuff at times.  Could easily have won it at the end.  Isted a bit suspect for a couple of the goals.  Enjoyed the game though.  We need a set piece coach and someone to improve the defence as that is our weakness.  As for the hated Kirk - thought he played well (but some just want to hate).  Roddy grown a bit that's all.  Really don't think it's all doom and gloom.
    Oh mate, has RonnieMoore hacked your account?

That was crap, Kirk was particularly crap and it all looks pretty doom and gloom to me.
  • Leaburn back is the positive. Hope Fraser and Camara are not too far from a return. I am giving it time but not very encouraging performances by Tedic and Taylor who I was optimistic about.
    Why? We’ll only be in it for 1 match 🥴
    Why? We’ll only be in it for 1 match 🥴
    Yeah, a 0-5 hammering at home to Welling United!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'd take a goalless draw at Stevenage now.
    I'd take shagging Miss World now.
    Least its not Miss Netherlands
  • It's embarrassing being a Charlton fan.
  • Not sure what’s happened to Ness second season syndrome both he and Elewere tonight were very poor .. but think Pearce got it wrong bringing subs on yet trying to play 433 we look disjointed .. play 442 ?? 
  • Not sure what’s happened to Ness second season syndrome both he and Elewere tonight were very poor .. but think Pearce got it wrong bringing subs on yet trying to play 433 we look disjointed .. play 442 ?? 
    Actually agree... When Kanu came on I fully expected him to be up alongside Tedic more, instead we seemed to keep 4-3-3 with Kirk and Kanu as the wide players.

Went from round pegs in round holes, to square pegs.
  • Shit cup but fuck me we just lost to Crawley conceding 4. That's a shambles.