Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD: Crawley vs Charlton | EFL Trophy | Tues 5th Sept 2023 [+ POST P21]

Comments

• Only one reason why Roddy is a professional footballer. 

Shouldn't be anywhere near a League One starting line up, even in a meaningless cup. 
    Well his Dad isn't around to enforce us to give him a new Contract a few months ago, nor put him on the bench against Cheltenham on the final day, or tonight.
    Makes it worse. Won't admit clear mistakes. 

He's sub League Two and 20 years old. 
    You dont think its easy for a club to say thanks, and quietly release him if they really didn't want him around? - Especially as there is no one here now who signed him in the first place?
    Competence across the board has been dire for years. Roddy is clearly slipping through the cracks like some other youth players. Getting contracts until 21-22 when it's clear they're levels below. 
  • Roddy gives very little in attack, so unless he's really solid defensively, offers little to a modern team. 

Kirk didn't help him to be fair. Does Kirk know you can't be offside from a throw in?
  • Couldn't really care about this competition & is one of the reasons I hate being stuck in the 3rd tier.

However, our defence has been all over the shop this season & one reason why is because its stuffed full of youngsters. We need experienced pro's out there - 28/30 year olds who have played 350/400 games. 

We are in for a very hard season. 
  • I’ve been supporting Charlton since 1959.I’m ashamed of what we’ve become. 
  • 8 games and 6 defeats, when you put it like that, is damning.
    And the two wins were narrow ones against struggling sides at The Valley. 
    As has been said; international break, the right manager appointed and allowing him to bring his own staff (with some defensive coaches perhaps) is essential.
    No pressure Andy Scott.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Only one reason why Roddy is a professional footballer. 

Shouldn't be anywhere near a League One starting line up, even in a meaningless cup. 
    Cos Vince McMahon made us sign him? 
    "This is such good shit!"
  • Couldn't really care about this competition & is one of the reasons I hate being stuck in the 3rd tier.

However, our defence has been all over the shop this season & one reason why is because its stuffed full of youngsters. We need experienced pro's out there - 28/30 year olds who have played 350/400 games. 

Wonder if there are any on the free agent list? Can we sign out of contract players now?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Only one reason why Roddy is a professional footballer. 

Cos Vince McMahon made us sign him? 
    "This is such good shit!"
    Pal

I Want us to win every game we are in whatever competition
    I agree Golfie, weve now been beaten by both Newport and Crawley quite easily and if we went down to league2 we would struggle 
    not enough experience in squad and we think the youngsters are better than they actually are,Ness and elewere prime examples

I think our first choice back 4 will end up being

26, 27, 31, 25

That's good ages. 

Dobson, Camara and Fraser are 25, 26 and 28

May is 30, CBT is 25

That's not a young team.
  • edited September 2023
    At the game behind the goal. Will have to watch again on CTV because it all looked pretty terrible from where I was standing and Crawley seemed to run rings round us for most of the match. With their B team. 
    What the hell our best defence is I have no idea. Jones maybe? Hector? We’ll have to hope Abankwah is a proper player, because I think we’re going to need him. And full backs? Edun isn’t convincing at the moment. Asiimwe is 18. Watson isn’t fit. Chin is tidy. Feel sorry for Ness who looked so good but has lost his confidence.
    Kirk’s performance today showed how much we miss CBT when he’s not playing. Give him the ball and he’ll skin his defender at will. Kirk tried the same trick towards the end of the match and the defender just wasn’t having it. Kirk is VERY good at receiving the ball and passing it back again. 
    At least I saw a brilliant strike from Dobbo, but his lack of any sort of celebration shows how embarrassed the players seem to feel about their current situation. 
  • They looked faster to the ball most of the match and wanted it more.
    They cut us apart on numerous occasions, especially after the substitutes and ‘formation change’.
    Powerpuff going forward and defending (across the team) terrible.
    I really want Kirk to do well but offered nothing.
    I guess we didn’t care about winning and just gave some players a run out, otherwise at 3-2 we should have tightened it up a bit (even if they are League 2), so unsure about the decisions.

Nice bar though and new ground
  • 2 upsides for the eternally optimistic.  1. A whole 10 days without this shit in our lives and 2. Another new manager bounce to look forward to

• I can forgive tonight given the age and inexperience of the personnel, especially at the end, but those lads are training with the first team squad and therefore you would assume all working on the same tactics and the same shape. Well, the new manager needs to be hired sharpish and to get working on changing it because we managed to made Crawley reserves look like Barcelona at times this evening.

Also, I bloody hate 4-3-3 as it just leave full backs horribly exposed.

• Chaotic is how I'd describe how we are functioning as a Club right now, making it up as we go along with inconsistent team selections and formations, albeit that our perpetual injury crisis doesn't help. It feels as though we're throwing mud against the walls and hoping some will stick. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how what we're seeing comes across to me. 

Whoever is next in the hot seat needs to restore pride and order above all else, but I fear it will take them time to work out how to best utilize the players available and transform them into some semblance of a cohesive unit because we're a way off that at present and going on a winning run light years away.
  • Valley11 said:
    8 games and 6 defeats, when you put it like that, is damning.
    And the two wins were narrow ones against struggling sides at The Valley. 
    As has been said; international break, the right manager appointed and allowing him to bring his own staff (with some defensive coaches perhaps) is essential.
    No pressure Andy Scott.
    Appointing a manager will be easy, the right one ? What decent manager in their right mind will want to come to CAFC ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    Appleton’s really going to have his work cut out. If it’s him, as someone was saying after the match. 

Agree with the @HandG that 433 is horrible defensively. I’d like to see 442, with CBT on the left in midfield. With two upfront May and Leaburn/Tedic. 
  • Uboat said:
    I’m actually dreading the FA Cup. 
    It’s essential that we go out to someone like Portsmouth in the first round. We must not play a non-league team and we must not progress to the 3rd round. 
    What have we become, when a supporter can not only think this shit, but type it out on a public forum for all to see? Now, when I say 'this shit', I'm not having a go at you Uboat; there is a logic to what you say and in some ways it's almost a seductive argument. But wow, what an absolutely pitiful existence we are living where fans can legitimately want to see us out of the country's (if, no longer, the World's) most prestigious cup competition. It's an absolute disgrace.
  • edited September 2023
    Didn't realise we had a game. Shame I found out and read through the thread.  I follow the U18's results and love seeing the kids come through but have noticed the last two seasons we have won the league by often winning games by outscoring teams; ie lots of 5-2; 4-3 type results. 

I don't watch the games but had wondered if our forwards were very good (Casey; Kanu etc) but our defenders would struggle with the step up....

I had high hopes for Elerwere when he broke through but he seems out of depth from what I have read so far.  Roddy should not be at the club. Ness has a long way to go and Isted has sounded poor so far (Thankfully I have not seen a ame this season!)
  • Well, I watched the game on Charlton TV and enjoyed very little of it. I think we have a decent squad tucked away somewhere in there...... with some of the guys who played tonight together with some who weren't picked or available for tonight.
    As far as the squad goes, it's going to take sometime for us to get the right blend of experience, youth, attitude and talent together, at least the next couple of transfer windows........ and that is likely to be a painful watch.
    Surely it's easier/quicker to get the right set of coaches into the club now that we've had a bit of a clearout, there's no reason for it not to happen.
    When we get the right people, we'll get the new manger bounce and then another bounce from the team being better coached and organised and from the tactics being better executed.
    There are no coaching wrong un's to ship out and we don't have to wait for any contracts to run down, we just have to go out and recruit right. This is much more of an immediate measure of Andy Scott than the last transfer window was.
    Regarding the clearout though, I do wonder why Anthony Hayes wasn't given the interim job over Jason Pearce, doesn't an Assistant Manager trump an Academy coach?
  • Not bothered by this Tin Pot cup....kids got a run out and Miles scored a superb header. Rest is blah....enjoy the 2 weeks off all