Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager Search - August 2023

Comments

• edited September 2023
    All this talk of Des Buckingham reminds me of when Congo Chris was linked with the job though ultimately joined as an assistant in the end.

If this was Roland everybody would be calling out trying to get someone like Buckingham in as an experiment. We're into our 4th year in league one and probably a 5th year if we don't get relegated.

Whatever happened to going for the best available? Be it the manager or players instead of kids/loans/unknowns/merry go round managers.

Just bring Bowyer home.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason there is no discipline at the club and hasn't been for 3 years is because the players know the manager isn't actually in charge of anything.

If he upsets them they can just down tools and wait for them to be sacked.

That's the root of it and has been the case since the international break before we played Gillingham away under Bowyer.

And that is different at other Clubs ?
    Since Bosman the power is with players but I don't believe its worse at cafc than other clubs but when on a losing run all the boils burst and it's not a pretty site. The pus hits the fans.

Perhaps we need to analyse how Luton, Coventry and Bournemouth managed to come back from  the National League in Luton's case and League 2 in Coventry and Bournemouth's case.
    I expect they kept their manager & a nucleus of players as they went through the leagues. Isn't there a Luton player who has played in every division for them ?

Compare that to us who have had 4 managers in 3 years and have got rid of nearly all of the players we signed last summer !! 
  • Who the f*ck is Congo Chris?
  • So far as we know we have asked to speak with or offered the job to Ferguson, Challinor and now Buckingham none of them got a mention by the ITK crew.
    so I’m still holding onto the hope it’s not Appleton but somebody not yet mentioned. 
  • If Buckingham wants the move will they stop him though? He will need to move on a some point if he's that highly rated 
  • Sponsored links:

• Was with an avid Portsmouth fan today, long standing season ticket holder, quote: “whatever you do, DON’T go for Cowley”!
  • All this talk of Des Buckingham reminds me of when Congo Chris was linked with the job though ultimately joined as an assistant in the end.

If this was Roland everybody would be calling out trying to get someone like Buckingham in as an experiment. We're into our 4th year in league one and probably a 5th year if we don't get relegated.

Whatever happened to going for the best available? Be it the manager or players instead of kids/loans/unknowns/merry go round managers.

Just bring Bowyer home.
    This is a good point on Roland. If this was his managerial appointment people would be taking the piss. Might be more so a sign of how we have dropped when a manager of this calibre would keep us content.

Alright he's gone the league undefeated or whatever but none of us know the quality of the league, the players, the competition. Presumably as they're part of the City group they had the biggest budget.

There are managers good enough and available in this country, go and convince them, not some chap who is managing what will probably be equal to national League standard or worse 
  • shirty5 said:
    Who the f*ck is Congo Chris?
    Chris O’Loughlin 
    Current Sporting Director @ Union SG - The Belgian club owned by Brighton
  • Was with an avid Portsmouth fan today, long standing season ticket holder, quote: “whatever you do, DON’T go for Cowley”!
    Give your mate The Club email address, a bit of inside info could sway it...🙄
  • If Buckingham wants the move will they stop him though? He will need to move on a some point if he's that highly rated 
    Probably being paid a nice amount by CFG
    The Portsmouth fan base generally rated McKeeper. Did we?
  • I’m waiting to see the new dawn but if the sun doesn’t shine afterwards I will withdraw my illogical addicktion and sail off into the horizon 🥸
  • Sponsored links:

Don’t suggest that mate, I got sarcastically ripped apart for saying the same thing the other day! 
    The Portsmouth fan base generally rated McKeeper. Did we?
    My lot claimed he was a good shot stopper but never comes off his line…..which rang true.

I trust their view on the Cowleys which is don’t touch them! 
  • edited September 2023
    Gribbo said:
    So the new manager can have absolutely nothing to do with any club that any of the 4 have had any interest in, or its obviously part of some conspiracy.

Totally understand the apprehension surrounding these people, but can't we just park it up for the next couple of months and just see where it all goes?
    See where it all goes. Believe we all finally know the answer to that. 

That’s to Hell and back if we are lucky.
    Do we? If you say so. Well if everyone agrees, then protests can't be far off 🤔 After all, it did feel good when we thought we'd forced Roland out didn't it? Well for a while at least. 

Personally, I'm not calling the outcome just yet, whilst acknowledging that the initial portents don't bode well. It's not too late to salvage this season, but expectations have been lowered all round I'm sure after the poor start.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Was with an avid Portsmouth fan today, long standing season ticket holder, quote: “whatever you do, DON’T go for Cowley”!
    Don’t suggest that mate, I got sarcastically ripped apart for saying the same thing the other day! 
    I was one of those and you didn’t answer my
    points because they was… factual 
  • se9addick said:
    It doesn’t feel like we have much of a strategy here. We’re either being rejected by the clubs (Mumbai) or rejected by the managers themselves (Ferguson, Challinor, Powell).

I, stupidly, assumed when our ownership (or whomever is making these calls) sacked not only Holden but also some of his coaching staff that they must have a new manager who had a coaching staff ready to come in. 

Feels like a total mess at the moment.  
    I agree it is, but there are still 40 more league games yet to play with 120 more points up for grabs and a new manager to come in and sort it aart!
  • I wonder what sort of wage and transfer budget we are offering. 
    The amount of managers supposedly turning us down shows just what a shit show we have become 
  • shirty5 said:
    Who the f*ck is Congo Chris?
    Chris O’Loughlin 
    Current Sporting Director @ Union SG - The Belgian club owned by Brighton
    And he's seemingly done brilliantly for them. 
  • Genuine question - if it is Appleton - are there other examples where a manager who has bumbled around the lower leagues with limited success, eventually found the right club and propelled them to genuine success? 
    He seems like the ultimate jobbing manager. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!