Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Sack him, then brief against him.
    Listen Shamocracy, isn’t simply sacking Holden nasty enough for you?
    Tbf I agree with pretty much everything in the article.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-job-a-roller-coaster-ride-that-doesnt-last-long-tactical-issues-and-set-piece-woes-a-factor-in-dean-holdens-departure/

"The South London Press understands that it had been mooted to Holden that he needed someone more experienced to aide  or mentor him but the Mancunian would not countenance a change, preferring to stick with his coaching team of Anthony Hayes and Danny Senda, who had both been promoted from the club’s academy."

Not sure how true that is but would reflect poorly on Dean
     Playing the same game as the ownership then.
    He didn't want anyone with any clout next to him in the job because they'd pull him up for being shyte.
    The same reason the ownership opted for him in the first place.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I have been hoping to hear something from Dean Holden’s perspective following his sacking (by text?), but there hasn’t exactly been much of a period of grace before the knife is twisted, even if the article is 100% true.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Countenance, nice word.
    What does it mean Carol ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I have been hoping to hear something from Dean Holden’s perspective following his sacking (by text?), but there hasn’t exactly been much of a period of grace before the knife is twisted, even if the article is 100% true.
    You're weirdly obsessed with unimportant things at times. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    You're weirdly obsessed with unimportant things at times. 
    I get Seth is easy to dunk on and obviously not as important right now as who the new manager and signings are but I would be interested to know if the text firing story is true.

As if true it is similar to Sandgaard flying home before firing managers, gives us insight in to us having another spineless coward at the top of our club.
  • Options
    Said she couldn’t say anything about it, some gagging order that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Presenter slammed us, not his wife. They seemed to enjoy it here. Something obviously went on behind the scenes. Surprised we've not heard a leak from a player yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    mendonca said:
    The Presenter slammed us, not his wife. They seemed to enjoy it here. Something obviously went on behind the scenes. Surprised we've not heard a leak from a player yet.
    Is this sounding more like a an irrevocable falling out with Holden and the SMT rather than a simple decision to change it up based on results?

Contrary to my initial assumption that the new manager was already lined up. 

Given passage of time in appointing someone this week it seems more likely this was not anticipated / planned. 
  • Options
    I watched the game today and felt really sorry for Dean Holden.

I wonder how different things would have been if only Leaburn hadn't of got crooked by that clogger at Welling. Saw enough of Leaburn in his cameo appearance today to suggest that he could form a really good partnership with May and Holden was so unlucky he couldn't take advantage of that.

Or if Fraser hadn't of got injured in the first game of the season.

Curbs said that sometimes luck just goes against you and you can't do anything about it. It sure seems to have done so for Holden. 

To an extent, but I think he might not have commanded the respect of the team, and the more I think about it, the more I think he was massively out of his depth and he was fortunate to get the job.  He just couldn’t organize that back line, and he may have been a bit unlucky not to have Leaburn, but all this would’ve caught up with him at some point 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    If he was in charge today we would have won.

That first 40 minutes plus the defence in general shows whoever takes over as a job in charge with the personnel given to the next incumbent has their work cut out until January 

• Options
    shirty5 said:

That first 40 minutes plus the defence in general shows whoever takes over as a job in charge with the personnel given to the next incumbent has their work cut out until January 

Holden might have overseen a win today but as I said to a mate in the ground, if he was there the ground and crowd would have been hugely toxic when Stockley scored, but instead the reaction was very limited, I believe largely because people didn’t want to weigh in on JP. Guess we’ll never know 
  • Options
    Can’t really understand saying Holden would’ve won that game. Holden wouldn’t have played that formation and T Campbell would’ve been playing out of position as a striker not a winger. Would’ve been a totally different game 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    shirty5 said:

Holden might have overseen a win today but as I said to a mate in the ground, if he was there the ground and crowd would have been hugely toxic when Stockley scored, but instead the reaction was very limited, I believe largely because people didn’t want to weigh in on JP. Guess we’ll never know 
    Or that players weren't being played out of position. I don't think Holden ever got a rough ride at the Valley. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Can’t really understand saying Holden would’ve won that game. Holden wouldn’t have played that formation and T Campbell would’ve been playing out of position as a striker not a winger. Would’ve been a totally different game 
    We’d have lost that game last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would love to have see Dean move into a different role at the club rather than be manager/sacked…

the culture he was building with fans and younger players etc was fab, he’d have been a fantastic in a role under Steve Avory and player development 
  • Options
    Would love to have see Dean move into a different role at the club rather than be manager/sacked…

the culture he was building with fans and younger players etc was fab, he’d have been a fantastic in a role under Steve Avory and player development 
    On the face of it, I think he'd do well to swallow some humble pie and look into this sort of role. Unfortunately he also seems to carry a stoic self belief which will probably seem rock up at a League 2 side next and continue a mediocre nomadic managerial career.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Maybe he rightfully takes some blame but he was hampered by injuries and squad deficiencies. I think we acted far to soon in sacking him but both he and us need to look forwards now.  Rather than bring in a compromise candidate, we ought to give Pearce a few games. If a Wilder, Moore or Jones type is available fair enough. Pearce will either sink or swim but if he is clearly swimming, there is surely no rush as rushing can increase the chances of getting it wrong. If you keep the assessment of a potential new manager process, we can act quickly if Pearce is sinking and move him back into his old role. Seems like the best of both worlds to me but hey ho!  
  • Options
    Maybe he rightfully takes some blame but he was hampered by injuries and squad deficiencies. I think we acted far to soon in sacking him but both he and us need to look forwards now.  Rather than bring in a compromise candidate, we ought to give Pearce a few games. If a Wilder, Moore or Jones type is available fair enough. Pearce will either sink or swim but if he is clearly swimming, there is surely no rush as rushing can increase the chances of getting it wrong. If you keep the assessment of a potential new manager process, we can act quickly if Pearce is sinking and moth him back into his old role. Seems like the best of both worlds to me but hey ho!  
    Pearce is not ready for it - and my guess would be he'd be one of the first to admit it
  • Options
    Even assistant managers don't move into different roles once they've been promoted to the role of Manager until the end of season. 

• Options
    Glad you know that for a fact. 
  • Options
    Is that thing above Dean Holden praising Jason Pearce, or Jason Pearce saying he was a proud man on Saturday?
    At my age I find those kinds of posts incomprehensible.
    Nothing is obvious.
  • Options
    Holden will be a successful assistant manager somewhere, don't think he's a number 1 
  • Options
    I couldn't put up with any more of the set pieces. But what a nice man