Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Is that thing above Dean Holden praising Jason Pearce, or Jason Pearce saying he was a proud man on Saturday?
    At my age I find those kinds of posts incomprehensible.
    Nothing is obvious.
    Both.

Pearce posted the proud one, Holden quoted him and said great work Jason.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I couldn't put up with any more of the set pieces. But what a nice man
    Is that not Hayes’s job the set pieces? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is that thing above Dean Holden praising Jason Pearce, or Jason Pearce saying he was a proud man on Saturday?
    At my age I find those kinds of posts incomprehensible.
    Nothing is obvious.
    Both.

Pearce posted the proud one, Holden quoted him and said great work Jason.
    Concinnity.
  • Options
    Now, we know why he was sacked - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66727873
    Dean Holden railway station announcer #propercharlton
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Might help if he removed that cardigan when demonstrating what he wants...

Always going to be holden him back.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Might help if he removed that cardigan when demonstrating what he wants...

Always going to be holden him back.
    Oh dear, I almost let out a groan there and I thought I made some excruciating puns.
  • Options
    ‘Noticed a change’ ?
    Can mean anything can’t it?
    Noticed the results would seem to be more comprehensible.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    ‘Noticed a change’ ?
    Can mean anything can’t it?
    Noticed the results would seem to be more comprehensible.
    Well of course it would but that just raises the question of why the results changed so it is not actually as simple as that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon it was the fact he didn’t recognise he needed help and maybe from an older head that did for him. I’d suggested a number of times that he needed to bring in someone who had been there, done it, bought the tee shirt. Instead he was working with those already at the club.
  • Options
    I reckon it was the fact he didn’t recognise he needed help and maybe from an older head that did for him. I’d suggested a number of times that he needed to bring in someone who had been there, done it, bought the tee shirt. Instead he was working with those already at the club.
    He was offered Chris Powell as a mentor and said no. TBH, much as I respect SCP I can see why DH would baulk at having someone imposed above him.

But I agree he need a wiser, older head alongside him of his own choice.

He also needed some of the luck that MA is getting with injuries (Aneke, Leaburn) and the new signings earlier.
     Was that before actually asking CP?
  • Options
    I believe CP was sounded out first for a mentor role and then, when it was decided to sack DH, for a role as manager 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Seen it now.
  • Options
    Eugh Mike Graham 🙁
  • Options
    Possibly where someone cracked open their thesaurus and put "collegiate" onto the job spec...
  • Options
    He was offered Chris Powell as a mentor and said no. TBH, much as I respect SCP I can see why DH would baulk at having someone imposed above him.

He also needed some of the luck that MA is getting with injuries (Aneke, Leaburn) and the new signings earlier.
    Do you know if Holden suggested an alternative or was it a case of powell being offered, Holden saying no and that was the end of the conversation 
  • Options

Do you know if Holden suggested an alternative or was it a case of powell being offered, Holden saying no and that was the end of the conversation 
    Sorry, don't know the answer to that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell as his number 2! That would have been like a turkey voting for Christmas.
    The very moment he started to slip the fans would have been calling for his head in the hope of getting his number 2 instated.
  • Options
    It's interesting when you look back on successful management teams when sometimes the more experienced man is the number 2.

A good example of this for Charlton was when Benny Fenton mentored Mike Bailey in 1980/81. In retrospect I am sure Benny would have played a key role. It is a shame that we couldn't find a similar scenario for Deano.

That said, I think Appleton is an upgrade.
  • Options
    I wonder if when they said they noticed a change in Holden, if it wasn't about results maybe it was the way he was dressed. He was wearing a different outfit for the Oxford game.
    I would be surprised if the billionaires had a dress code for Appleton.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    I wonder if when they said they noticed a change in Holden, if it wasn't about results maybe it was the way he was dressed. He was wearing a different outfit for the Oxford game.
    It seems pretty obvious to me that Holden wanted to do things differently to Scott's way - and if the results had been there with a great start, Scott would've turned a blind eye: 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

But it was broken and getting worse.

Something had to be done to arrest the slide. And it was.

I agree with you that something needed to happen.
    The results were very bad, and this regime are supposedly to be judged by results.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:
    It seems pretty obvious to me that Holden wanted to do things differently to Scott's way - and if the results had been there with a great start, Scott would've turned a blind eye: 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'.

But it was broken and getting worse.

Something had to be done to arrest the slide. And it was.

It's funny how Holden, Adkins and Garner all went a bit loopy when it became clear they didn't get what they wanted or were promised.
  • Options
    Did Holden not get what he was promised then? Sounds more like they offered him extra help and he turned it down, and instead he wasn't delivering on what he promised, and got the sack for it
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    sam3110 said:
    Did Holden not get what he was promised then? Sounds more like they offered him extra help and he turned it down, and instead he wasn't delivering on what he promised, and got the sack for it
    Look at the squad we had at the start of the season.  None of them helped themselves but...