Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

1353637383941»

Comments

• Options
    timken said:
    Really disagree with the "He’s a master at PR" comment he is a thoroughly decent human being and I wish he was still here.
    They aren't mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    edited January 10
    I liked Holden, but let’s just say we sacked Appleton and appointed a new manager with a record similar to Holden’s record, would people be happy with that? Absolutely not 

He deserved more time, but he isn’t at the level required. Scott has appointed 2 managers that aren’t good enough 
  • Options
    Nice bloke, could argue he deserved a few games more to turn things around but no one was really gutted when he went 
  • Options
    Something definitely went wrong over the summer, and it wasn't just down to the late recruitment. Fitness wasn't good enough for a start.
  • Options
    Were are reminding me of Oxford last season when they went a massive winless run despite not looking that bad and nearly went down, the problem is if we can sucked into a dog fight there are teams down there with a lot more fight than us 
  • Options
    edited January 21
    J BLOCK said:
    I think a lot of you forget the football played under him. No identity, no understanding of his first 11, truly awful and it was only going one way. 
    You're 100% right, but you could copy and paste this paragraph for Appleton
  • Options
    Holden wasn't good enough, crappleton is awful

i would rather have Mike Bassett 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We no longer have the players for his favoured formation though.
  • Options
    Milan said:
    The key issue we have is a shit squad, does anyone really think that there's a manager out there that could lead this team to promotion?
    No. I want a manager who will have this squad finishing comfortably in mid table, and can challenge for promotion next season.
  • Options
    edited January 21

I’d rather his brother, Bertie.

• Options
    Dean Holden off to Saudi to be Gerrards assistant 
  • Options
    whilst im delighted for Holden….i can’t see this working.
    the fact is - Gerrard just isn’t any good and I’m not convinced Holden is strong enough to go against him.  Gerrard doesn’t need a yes man - he needs someone to tell him what to do 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    whilst im delighted for Holden….i can’t see this working.
    the fact is - Gerrard just isn’t any good and I’m not convinced Holden is strong enough to go against him.  Gerrard doesn’t need a yes man - he needs someone to tell him what to do 
    You're assuming it's a real league!
  • Options
    Certainly didn’t see that move coming.

Do we ever get mentioned as a former club for a player or manager, feels like journalists do their best not to mention us. 
  • Options
    His move there highlights how poor a decision it was to give him the job at ours in the first place.  Bizarrely, I still see tweets referencing he and Garner should’ve been given a chance.  A nice bloke but not cut out for a job at a club like ours 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    His move there highlights how poor a decision it was to give him the job at ours in the first place.  Bizarrely, I still see tweets referencing he and Garner should’ve been given a chance.  A nice bloke but not cut out for a job at a club like ours 
    Agree. A really lovely guy, but should never have been given the keys to managing a club of our size. Hope it works out for him, especially after he was linked (or linked himself to) every managerial job going this season. 
  • Options
    Totally agree that he wasn't up to the job as a manager, and that the football and tactical approach under him was poor...  I think that the 'nice guy' comments that are thrown around flippantly have more importance than is given credit for.

For a club like ours, with our history, fanbase, community etc, being the 'right' personality goes a long way to making us as a team and a club perform. Regardless of how good the manager is tactically, if they make attempts to galvanise the supporters, have the right approach to communication etc etc - it makes a difference.

Whilst he wasn't ultimately good enough, the impact of Holden's lack of managerial ability was lessened slightly by his positive personality and management style, with Appleton it's the opposite. 

Often see comments like 'I wouldn't mind if the manger is a total dickhead with the personality of a shrivelled mushroom, if they are winning games etc etc' - but in reality this rarely happens in football...