Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    I thought Holden was a pretty mediocre manager and I'm not sure the replacement will be much better - I assume they'll make it to the end of the season.

The club is a shambles at present and unless we get lucky with the next appt nothing will change.

You would assume the new manager would make it to the end of the season. Not with the management we have working for the owners.

I would prefer that all the SMT were sacked and left the running of the club to the owners.
    At least that way we might understand what the owners were about.

We would be no worse off surely?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I think this means that HMS Pisstheleague has been derailed. 🥸
    Ships don't sail on rails.
    They do when they’re launching them. Seems appropriate. Not even launched properly. 
  • Options
    I thought Holden was a pretty mediocre manager and I'm not sure the replacement will be much better - I assume they'll make it to the end of the season.

The club is a shambles at present and unless we get lucky with the next appt nothing will change.

You would assume the new manager would make it to the end of the season. Not with the management we have working for the owners.

I would prefer that all the SMT were sacked and left the running of the club to the owners.

All 27 of them!!
    Could you imagine!!

• Options

But that would almost be back to Sandguard modus operandi with no people in key positions with English football league experience wouldn’t it 🤔.
  • Options
    Miss my point

I would very much like to know and understand what the owners are about.
    Wouldn’t you?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No idea if this has already been posted, but you have got to wonder what the fuck is going on when Asimewe is liking the post announcing the manager and back room staff have been sacked.
    Some people ‘like’ posts as a way of bookmarking them. They’ll end up on their ‘like’ list. 
    That's what the bookmark logo on the right is for. 
    This was referencing Twitter. 👍
    Why would you reference twitter on a comment about an Instagram post?

I wonder if there was some kind of falling out after Asiimwe's mistake the other day?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I think this means that HMS Pisstheleague has been derailed. 🥸
    Ships don't sail on rails.
    They do when they’re launching them. Seems appropriate. Not even launched properly. 
    A fair point. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No idea if this has already been posted, but you have got to wonder what the fuck is going on when Asimewe is liking the post announcing the manager and back room staff have been sacked.
    Some people ‘like’ posts as a way of bookmarking them. They’ll end up on their ‘like’ list. 
    That's what the bookmark logo on the right is for. 
    This was referencing Twitter. 👍
    Why would you reference twitter on a comment about an Instagram post?

I wonder if there was some kind of falling out after Asiimwe's mistake the other day?
    Leaburn liked the post as well...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So I have been away all weekend. I saw this thread but didn't know how or whether to respond. 

The football has at times been fluid and dynamic, but more often hoof ball with no target. 

Do I think Holden was the right man to get us promoted? Not sure. Do I think he deserved sacking given the tools he had available? Nope. This isn't a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. He didn't have a full set of tools to blame. 

I think this was an unfair sacking and I don't believe we'll get anyone better and it fucks the last few days of the transfer window. 

I am not impressed. 
    I’m part of the SMT where I work and if someone gave an excuse like Holden did after Oxford, they’d be out on their ear too. You’re the manager, bloody manage, if he didn’t want one left back for the corner he should have been screaming his lungs out telling the players to stick to what they’ve done in training. 

So either he’s not bothering with set piece training (wouldn’t surprise me from what I’ve seen) or he was quite happy with leaving one at the back and is just a coward that won’t take responsibility, is either really ok? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember that Warrick is a Posh fan and has been involved there, while Rodwell was CEO there. They have approached a number of people and will obviously gravitate to people they know.
    Sadly, those friendships may include Johnson then Airman. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Miss my point

Wouldn’t you?

Methven has convinced them to put money up to buy a club that he (and others) will get promoted and then they can sell it on for a profit. That's literally it. They have zero personal interest or purpose for club, and never did.
    As many have already stated, that plan only works if they can get the club promoted, not made too much headway in the plan thus far, which is probably the key reason they dumped Holden, it also looks like their chosen replacement has refused their overtures, so they probably hoping Jason Pierce turns  out to be the find of the season. 
  • Options
    Remember that Warrick is a Posh fan and has been involved there, while Rodwell was CEO there. They have approached a number of people and will obviously gravitate to people they know.
    Had they been able to talk with Ferguson I wonder exactly what proposition they would have put to him to try to entice him to leave Peterborough? A big increase on his current salary, a significantly bigger transfer budget, better prospects at Charlton of getting higher up the pyramid than Peterborough, better job security (!!!) etc etc? That would be a hard sell. I suspect a lot of managers nowadays look at Charlton as a bit of a basket case of a club with little credibility. A football manager's job is tenuous enough with risking a move to Charlton. 
    All reasons why we'll quite likely end up hiring an out of work manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Methven was the only red flag we needed to be cautious of this consortium.
    I do think Holden had to go though.
    Seems like a good guy but nice guys finish last.
    His managerial statistics are mediocre at best. People saying it's harsh after 5 games need to factor in last season's results and his performance at Bristol too. Spread out over a full season his points per game is probably mid-table, not promotion.
    The Ferguson story smacks of BS and likely just a bit of cheap PR from Charlie. There are unattached managers with recent League One promotions available so supposedly going after Mr Peterborough held no weight.

Personally I didn't want Powell back before but now weirdly feels like the right time for various reasons.
    Other than that it's Moore or Richardson. Do not see anyone else out there who'd be realistically available, and palatable.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    clive said:

"The club statement on the matter is certainly not relying on many words to justify this action but does promise that “a thorough recruitment process” will now be undertaken. With the number of times we’ve changed manager in the last couple of decades, you’d have hoped we’d be a leading authority on such processes by now."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that.

Bugger it, I'll do both.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    The idea of Darren Moore joining us is completely unrealistic. Apart from the state of the club and the concerns over the new regime, a manager who couldn’t agree new terms with Wednesday is hardly like to come to Charlton for a less attractive package.

Yet for some reason this fella “isn’t suitable” 
  • Options
    Where has this Holden getting 500k stuff come from? Aren’t managers contracts set up with shortish pay off times compared to the length of the contract? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Miss my point

Wouldn’t you?

Methven has convinced them to put money up to buy a club that he (and others) will get promoted and then they can sell it on for a profit. That's literally it. They have zero personal interest or purpose for club, and never did.

Is this a problem ? They can flip and pass the Baton on but really not sure what profit they would've made by then 🤔

I hope they achieve their goal. 
    Poor start with too many under 21's playing at the same time and naive play when cafc go ahead or back on equal terms.

Because of the Mandatory injuries we suffer; Leaburn in the 1st half of the Welling game and Fraser early doors in season we were pressured into playing Anderson, Asiimwe, Kanu too often instead of gradually. 

The chance of Charlton Athletic having a small squad and finishing top 6 is near impossible as we have a penchant for injuries.

Out of all our new players in the window so far, May was the only one who was 100% fit to play and even Alfie didn't have the two players around him to aide his ambitions in Miles and Scott.

Bad luck, bad planning, the Charlton curse.
    A combo of all 3 but negativity is a heavy weight to jettison when you are losing every week.  
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Having slept on it...lots of thing don't add up.  The timing especially.  I think someting happened during the week after the Port Vale game - maybe an argument/disagreement/blame in the dressing room - don't know - but I'm sure he knew he was out the door on Saturday.  The bizarre team selection, players out of position, switching Isted for AMB, no pre-match interview, even his outfit was different.  Definately someting was going on.  The alledged text "firing" on Sunday was probably just a confirmation.
    Holden does have quite a bit of fire in him. It wouldn't surprise me if he's calling out people who promised a certain budget, etc. But once again, we don't know.

We need to turn Chuks into a Charltonlife informant! He can ghost around everywhere apart from the pitch and keep us up to date!
  • Options
    Regardless of the length of contract - 3 years in Holden’s case - managers only receive a fixed notice period by way of compensation (usually a maximum of 12 months and sometimes less). There might also be a mitigation provision should they find other employment during that period.

Dean Holden was hardly in a strong negotiating position and I’d be very surprised indeed if was on £500,000 a year. 

I doubt the two coaches who were dismissed were on substantial salaries, although I suppose it all adds up.