Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Time for the great man to come home and add the next chapter to this site:

https://www.chrispowellfootball.com/
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2023
    The idea that Darren Ferguson would uproot from the North to go to London is laughable - given the restrictions, lack of apparent budget support in the transfer window, 4 months of not being able to bring in any players in the deluded plan (£1 to £2m losses) that Methven put together. It just shows how clueless, out of touch with reality and up themselves the current SMT are.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So I have been away all weekend. I saw this thread but didn't know how or whether to respond. 

The football has at times been fluid and dynamic, but more often hoof ball with no target. 

Do I think Holden was the right man to get us promoted? Not sure. Do I think he deserved sacking given the tools he had available? Nope. This isn't a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. He didn't have a full set of tools to blame. 

I think this was an unfair sacking and I don't believe we'll get anyone better and it fucks the last few days of the transfer window. 

I am not impressed. 
    Been away you say Daz, so that’s why I didn’t get a lol against my players marks on Saturday. Take it to the post match thread in future and we can have a debate 😉.
  • Options
    What evidence is there that we have any kind of plan? Especially in the context of a refusal from another manager in work at another club.
    It looks to me that Holden’s sacking was reactive and that’s that, hoping something will turn up, or given Methven’s degree maybe he believes God will provide.
    No we are like a bloke stridently walking away from his home and marriage destined for an eternity of bedsits and pot noodles.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you dazzler21,a very harsh sacking. If he had a fully fit squad to choose from and we were still in the same position,then I could  begin to believe why he was sacked.But to out the fella with that depleted squad and the season just 3 weeks old is very harsh to say the least.
  • Options
    If he was given £500k to depart, good luck to him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    No idea if this has already been posted, but you have got to wonder what the fuck is going on when Asimewe is liking the post announcing the manager and back room staff have been sacked.
    Some people ‘like’ posts as a way of bookmarking them. They’ll end up on their ‘like’ list. 
    That's what the bookmark logo on the right is for. 
  • Options
    How about we really try to rebuild this club by having Ryan Mason as Manager and Chris Powell as his shoulder to lean on.
    Also beg Curbs to work Part time in an ambassador role to give this comedy football club back some pride and stop this implosion.
  • Options
    Can’t believe Dean would have been sacked if any signings were still up in the air. Either there are none or they are already done deals or it’s a complete f##k up.
    Of those options i'd be inclined to go with the latter. Especially if we made an approach for Ferguson AFTER sacking Holden.

Surely you'd sound out managers before doing it, so you'd have a seamless transition into the new manager, especially with only 4 days of the window left.
    Someone (who isn’t a gossiper and I have no reason to doubt) tweeted they were told 3 weeks ago Ferguson would be our next manager. 
    Perhaps it was three weeks ago that DF was approached and declined but out of respect to Holden the revelation wasn’t released until Holden was gone. That’s my guess.
  • Options

- Dean Holden was apparently recommended to TS by the current SMT. Effectively their choice, 8 months ago.

- He inherited a crap squad that was in chaos. Remember the Stockport cup humiliation?

- Admittedly the delay to the takeover completion didn't help to make a smooth well-planned pre-season.

- He has ONE fit senior striker. ONE! 

- As of a week ago he had 10 -TEN - injured players. 

- He has had to play two debutant 18 year olds in every game, for the simple reason that there were no better choices.

- He was told that he cannot bring more players in if he keeps picking the trash (Kirk, DJ , McG). Yes, I have a source for that. None of the trash was on the bench on Saturday.

So yeah, the "solution" to a poor start is to sack a manager you gave a three year contract to in March with a week to go of the window and irons supposedly in the fire, especially a striker. 

As I've been saying for nigh on 30 years since I got involved in management recruitment: any idiot can sack someone. The difficult bit is getting in someone "better", especially if you keep being the same idiot each year or less.

"Someone challenge me on that?" © Charles Harry Finlayson Methven
    I don't dispute he improved our performances after Garner-ball (it was a relatively obvious idea to "get the ball forward quicker", as DH described it) but, as I've said earlier, tactical naivety alone in the last 3 games (including first-rate impression of a stuffed dummy on the touchline at crucial moments and leaving clearly-knackered youngsters on for too long) and shockingly poor set-piece coaching in both boxes, is enough for me to be in no doubt it's right to replace DH now.
    He could have a fully-fit £30m squad and still potentially (probably IMO) not have the ability as a manager to get us promotion.
    You're right he was SMT's choice but it's not unreasonable to assume they had to work within TS's budget and have his sign off. TS would have had to (and for a while did) live with the choice if the deal fell through.
    So we shouldn't assume DH was ever their #1 choice or defines their budget for a new appointment.
    We'll find out soon. 
    With great respect, Mr Peanuts, your first para. reads as if Methven and co. appointed him only in the close season and had no idea how -apparently - "tactically naive" he is. But that's not the case. Methven was in and around the club from December- when Holden and the others came in-  through to February, and had a half-season to monitor results and take soundings. If he's really as bad as you paint him, you'd think  Charlie- "I know football" - Methven would have spotted it, and have had a replacement lined up to take over as soon as the deal was done; so that at least said replacement could get some of his own choices in, and certainly influence the pre-season. 

Given that, you haven't persuaded me at all that the timing of this isn't symptomatic of panic and breathtaking incompetence. Or possibly, as @sm above says, symptomatic of hedge-fund management mentality.
    Methven was boasting in his BBC London Sport interview about how it was him that advised Sandgaard to hire Holden. Holden was the appointment of the current regime. 
    Good call! We need to preserve that statement. 

It was the more recent post-takeover interview with his mate Aaron, right? Not the one back in Feb when it had all just unravelled?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BigDiddy said:
    I just can't see it...
  • Options
    vff said:
    The idea that Darren Ferguson would uproot from the North to go to London is laughable - given the restrictions, lack of apparent budget support in the transfer window, 4 months of not being able to bring in any players in the deluded plan (£1 to £2m losses) that Methven put together. It just shows how clueless, out of touch with reality and up themselves the current SMT are.
    Peterborough is in the north?!
    It’s in East Anglia
  • Options

- Dean Holden was apparently recommended to TS by the current SMT. Effectively their choice, 8 months ago.

- He inherited a crap squad that was in chaos. Remember the Stockport cup humiliation?

- Admittedly the delay to the takeover completion didn't help to make a smooth well-planned pre-season.

- He has ONE fit senior striker. ONE! 

- As of a week ago he had 10 -TEN - injured players. 

- He has had to play two debutant 18 year olds in every game, for the simple reason that there were no better choices.

- He was told that he cannot bring more players in if he keeps picking the trash (Kirk, DJ , McG). Yes, I have a source for that. None of the trash was on the bench on Saturday.

So yeah, the "solution" to a poor start is to sack a manager you gave a three year contract to in March with a week to go of the window and irons supposedly in the fire, especially a striker. 

As I've been saying for nigh on 30 years since I got involved in management recruitment: any idiot can sack someone. The difficult bit is getting in someone "better", especially if you keep being the same idiot each year or less.

"Someone challenge me on that?" © Charles Harry Finlayson Methven
    I don't dispute he improved our performances after Garner-ball (it was a relatively obvious idea to "get the ball forward quicker", as DH described it) but, as I've said earlier, tactical naivety alone in the last 3 games (including first-rate impression of a stuffed dummy on the touchline at crucial moments and leaving clearly-knackered youngsters on for too long) and shockingly poor set-piece coaching in both boxes, is enough for me to be in no doubt it's right to replace DH now.
    He could have a fully-fit £30m squad and still potentially (probably IMO) not have the ability as a manager to get us promotion.
    You're right he was SMT's choice but it's not unreasonable to assume they had to work within TS's budget and have his sign off. TS would have had to (and for a while did) live with the choice if the deal fell through.
    So we shouldn't assume DH was ever their #1 choice or defines their budget for a new appointment.
    We'll find out soon. 
    With great respect, Mr Peanuts, your first para. reads as if Methven and co. appointed him only in the close season and had no idea how -apparently - "tactically naive" he is. But that's not the case. Methven was in and around the club from December- when Holden and the others came in-  through to February, and had a half-season to monitor results and take soundings. If he's really as bad as you paint him, you'd think  Charlie- "I know football" - Methven would have spotted it, and have had a replacement lined up to take over as soon as the deal was done; so that at least said replacement could get some of his own choices in, and certainly influence the pre-season. 

Given that, you haven't persuaded me at all that the timing of this isn't symptomatic of panic and breathtaking incompetence. Or possibly, as @sm above says, symptomatic of hedge-fund management mentality.
    Methven was boasting in his BBC London Sport interview about how it was him that advised Sandgaard to hire Holden. Holden was the appointment of the current regime. 
    Good call! We need to preserve that statement. 

It was the more recent post-takeover interview with his mate Aaron, right? Not the one back in Feb when it had all just unravelled?
    Yes, the more recent one (23rd July) Link here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxpnnv?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    BigDiddy said:
    I just can't see it...
    Electronic transfer, so nothing to see.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Peterborough is in the north?!
    It’s in East Anglia
    To be fair I used to think anywhere over the other side of the river Thames was up North 😉.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

...This thread..,..We have the New Manager thread to concentrate on now..just saying..🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    The idea of Darren Moore joining us is completely unrealistic. Apart from the state of the club and the concerns over the new regime, a manager who couldn’t agree new terms with Wednesday is hardly like to come to Charlton for a less attractive package.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No idea if this has already been posted, but you have got to wonder what the fuck is going on when Asimewe is liking the post announcing the manager and back room staff have been sacked.
    Some people ‘like’ posts as a way of bookmarking them. They’ll end up on their ‘like’ list. 
    That's what the bookmark logo on the right is for. 
    This was referencing Twitter. 👍