Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• TeeC said:
    Loving some of the regime ITKs trying blame TS for DH on the other forum. Very very funny 
    3 windows are allowed for our progress, I wonder why!
    I’d want to see progression after every window but I’ve thought all along it would take three windows to sort out our squad. 
  • Redhenry said:
    If there isn’t a Manager and back room team ready to come in immediately the decision to clear out the whole team is idiotic IMO
    on the other hand, if the coaching/management team are making a total horlicks of their role, what IS the point of keeping them on ? .. someone like Pearce should be well capable of holding the fort until the cavalry arrives .. he might even do a very good, job .. as ever, we will see
  • Just had a thought that's a bit left field.
    Could it be a way of extracting money from the club? Holden was the Methven group's choice of manager and were probably instrumental in him being handed a 3 year deal, which will now have to be paid up.
    As I said at the start, just a thought.
    Highly improbable.
    The original Methven group deal was called off by Sandgaard in the first week of February, prompting Methven's group to threaten legal action. His admin crew (Rodwell et al) departed the Club on 15 Feb.
    That contract extension was announced on 11 March when TS was courting other parties, still being threatened with legal action.
    We can with 99% probability say that the decision to grant Holden a 3 year deal was Sandgaard's. 

I know that Sandgaard was one for making strange decisions but is someone looking to offload the club likely to have committed it to a new 3 year contract for the manager.
  • Can’t believe no one’s chucking Joey Barton’s hat into the ring?
  • edited August 2023
    Just had a thought that's a bit left field.
    Could it be a way of extracting money from the club? Holden was the Methven group's choice of manager and were probably instrumental in him being handed a 3 year deal, which will now have to be paid up.
    Highly improbable.
    The original Methven group deal was called off by Sandgaard in the first week of February, prompting Methven's group to threaten legal action. His admin crew (Rodwell et al) departed the Club on 15 Feb.
    That contract extension was announced on 11 March when TS was courting other parties, still being threatened with legal action.
    We can with 99% probability say that the decision to grant Holden a 3 year deal was Sandgaard's. 

I know that Sandgaard was one for making strange decisions but is someone looking to offload the club likely to have committed it to a new 3 year contract for the manager.
    He’s even less likely to take instructions from a party threatening legal action at that time.
  • bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    I wonder if Methven gets a cut of savings he makes ? Follow the money and we would find out why this lot are involved in Charlton.

The club will have to sell millions of pounds of players each year just to stay afloat. In terms of increasing commercial income, that means ticket sales, online sales, sponsorships and so on. All those income streams will GO DOWN if the team is crap, so CM’s plan is utter madness.

I know that quite a few are pissed off by my constant rants about Charlie boy, but I honestly believe he is as toxic as Roland. Some say that we must keep personalities out of our comments, but how can we? We can only question and critique the actions of the people who own and control the club.

I agree that we really now at jeopardy of going out of existence. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but the hyperbole and gaping holes in reality make your posts mostly laughable. We get your point. You’re not happy. Perhaps time to reflect on why you’re a Charlton supporter.
    Bit of a low blow to question someone’s reasoning on being a supporter.
    I am thick skinned, but a supporter since 1978.

Blind love is stupid - more fans need to make a stand/challenge what is going on, otherwise, there will be no club to support.

I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, but what does making a stand/challenging what is going on look like?
    I am only doing the odd away games - no more money to them.

Fundamentally, this is about money. Aside from protest [we have done enough of that over the years], our only option is to stay away.

Most will not agree with me, but each to their own 
  • TeeC said:
    Loving some of the regime ITKs trying blame TS for DH on the other forum. Very very funny 
    I’d want to see progression after every window but I’ve thought all along it would take three windows to sort out our squad. 
    Would like to think one window can totally change things, after that it becomes a touching up process.
  • Just had a thought that's a bit left field.
    Highly improbable.

He’s even less likely to take instructions from a party threatening legal action at that time.
    Possibly, but I think that there may have been more going on in the background than meets the eye.
  • Sponsored links:

yeah ok, maybe not, could get a bit too lively at the Christmas Party.
  • TeeC said:
    Would like to think one window can totally change things, after that it becomes a touching up process.
    That’s if money is no object. Ipswich have thrown real money at it and they took about three windows to get it right. I’d suggest we’re starting from a lower base than them too.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2023
    People stay away also because the product on the pitch tests even committed supporters patience. Once the the habit is broken it can be even more effort - particularly if there are lots of calls on time and your money. Football is supposed to be occassionally uplifting. Something Duchatelet didn't understand and the hedge funding owners need to. If the product sucks, no one buys it. Charlton need investment to get out of League One. Look at Ipswich, who put in a lot of investment and it took them 2 seasons.
    Do you see us paying compo for a manager? He's under contract till 2026, would he want to leave a side where he seems to be backed for a club where there's a lot of uncertainty? 

I think in this league the only manager we may be able to snag is Mark Bonner. Cambridge won't be paying as much as Bristol Rovers, he's under contract until 2024 as far as I can see and reckon he would see it as an upgrade in terms of potential. Main issue with Bonner is his lack of experience, he's only ever managed Cambridge, but would still be more experienced than our last 3 managers so there's that. 

I don't see us being able to secure any other manager in this league. Got an out of work manager written all over it I imagine 

• I’d rather Powell than Bowyer.

Moore and Jones also worth a conversation if they would be interested.
  • We have an interim manager, so that would suggest we won’t have anyone in post for the next match at least. Do we think Scott had someone lined up already or is he going through his list of cheap yes men in his little black book?

I’ve got to say I’ve not been impressed with Scott so far, appointed a manager who only looked good last season because of Rak-Sakyi and recruited very ordinary players in the Jan window. For this window everyone we’ve signed doesn’t even look fit.
    I don't think he recruited JRS, Scott came in inDec 22/ Jan 23, JRS in Aug/Sept 22 ?
    You're being very generous about the 3 he recruited in Jan. At best  Hector  is inconsistent,  and not showing the leadership I would expect from a an experienced professional. The other 2, one was a disaster, the other , just not quite good enough.
  • edited August 2023
    follett said:
    To give Hayes credit, one of the only games in recent seasons we can be proud of was when he took charge against De Zerbi's Brighton. Hayes had Richard Chin marking Mitoma out the game, genius
    Only, to be fair he wasn't really marking him out of the game. Brighton were rusty after the World Cup break and even then should have won two or three nil.  They didn't and there is credit to be taken from it but it was a great, dogged, backs to the wall performance IMO rather than a tactcal masterclass.
    It was certainly a ‘different’ performance from us. We let them keep the ball until the final third (is that what they call a low press?), which seemed to frustrate them, the longer they went without scoring. Despite the Wirkd Cup break they were still a Premier League playing League One ‘no hopers’, so I for one was delighted to see a change from our normal tactics. We actually had a plan, and although I wouldn’t call it a tactical masterclass, it was at least tactical, and the match was more memorable than most of the dross last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• TeeC said:
    When long contracts have been offered to players that don't cut the mustard, its going to take a lot longer  to improve the squad ,and that millstone of wages is drag on recruiting newer (better) players. Unless you think we have been taken over by wealthy people like the Saudi's.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2023
    vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    Baloney I'm afraid.
    As said above:
    We can with 99% probability say that the decision to grant Holden a 3 year deal was Sandgaard's alone. 

I know people don't like Methven, with good reason. That includes me.
    But FFS rather than rewrite history, let's just wait to see what the new ownership (95% not Methven and including some smart, wealthy people) do as regards the new permanent appointment.
    It would be utterly bizarre if they made another cheapskate appointment.
    Maybe they will do just that, but maybe they actually want to make some money on their investment.
    They know that means promotion.

I think that's guesswork too with all due respect. Holden was known to Methven, Scott and Rodwell and I understand suggested initially by them to Sandgaard. Being that Holden had Methven+ blessing then, it is not at all sure that they wouldn't have approved the contract or that Sandgaard had not run it past them previously. I know things were a bit rocky as Methven's group were briefing against Sandgaard heavily around the the time, Sandgaard's mother passed away (nice people, eh), but its a guess that it was Sandgaard's doing, and not confirmed. Holden was well known and not a controversial decision to Methven+ considering they had brought his name to Sandgaard's attention in the first place.
  • Has Holden put out a statement yet?
  • TeeC said:
    That’s if money is no object. Ipswich have thrown real money at it and they took about three windows to get it right. I’d suggest we’re starting from a lower base than them too.
    Not if one mouthpiece is to be believed.
    But Powell sorted things out with the Jenkinson money in one summer.
  • TeeC said:
    When long contracts have been offered to players that don't cut the mustard, its going to take a lot longer  to improve the squad ,and that millstone of wages is drag on recruiting newer (better) players. Unless you think we have been taken over by wealthy people like the Saudi's.
    Imo you have to spend dough to get success.
    We need to get out of this division lively as we continue to lose.
    Having said that, it is easy to spend other people's money.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2023
    Holden sacked by text reported by Chicago Addick. 
    Classy. There must have been a serious falling out between Holden and Methen / Rodwell / Scott. That was likely over transfer policy and funds available.
  • Gribbo said:
    Has Holden put out a statement yet

I would imagine the terms of his compensation would be to keep quiet or lose the pay out.
    Can't blame him if that is the case.
  • The Holden contract extension did smack of TS trying to buy some love 
  • I might be wrong but I seem to remember Dean Holden saying more than once that he arrived hardly knowing anybody, both players and staff. Those he did know he framed as more brief encounters rather than deep down solid collaborative work.
  • To me it indicates:

- they do have alternates lined up (otherwise why jettison the coaching staff as well) 

- I also assume the contractural termination costs are relatively modest. 

- Further JP is there to keep things ticking over on the training pitch very short term

- Holden likely knew he was on borrowed time and maybe not happy with the transfer activity 

And none of ITKs saw this coming.