Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• _MrDick said:
    Personally, I’d like to see Chris Powell given another crack of the whip. After the Duchatelet debacle, he’s got unfinished business. Anyone else is just going to divide the support. The club is in a right old mess. We’ve had a shocking start to the season. Holden was out of his depth and that was proved by his tactics and team selection on Saturday. Now is the time to get behind Jason Pearce and I’m hoping Chris Powell in the near future. Only five games in but the season is still salvable. 
    These people might be worse than Duchatelet.
  • AndyG said:
    I think a lot will depend on who they bring in for me. DH for whatever reason was manager for our worst start in decades and although our current squad is light no way should we lose those games. It’s a results business and I don’t think he can moan after the debacle of Saturday. Hopefully Pearce will only be in charge for this weekend whatever the result as I would hate for him to be made manager as it’s too soon for him. If it’s just another journeyman 2nd rate manager then it will be obvious to all what is going on . If it’s a manager with proven history or one on the up then maybe the ownership didn’t want another 5 games down the pan. I still keep asking myself why they bought the club for 10-12 M if they are not going to follow through with investment. These people are not stupid enough to fall for the supposed pitch CM is rumoured to have spun them surely ? If so when you look at the clubs with American owners like Burnley etc trust us to have the only stupid ones
    Totally agree.
  • Just had a thought that's a bit left field.
    Could it be a way of extracting money from the club? Holden was the Methven group's choice of manager and were probably instrumental in him being handed a 3 year deal, which will now have to be paid up.
    As I said at the start, just a thought.
  • Chunes said:
    Now Lee Johnson has been ruled out, why were we so against him, was this some sort of snowball effect going on? 

Bloke seems pretty friendly, managed some decent sized clubs, decent win rate at most of the clubs managed and got a promotion on his CV. So what was the big deal, saw a lot of people tweeting they'll boycott or it will be the final straw etc, where does that kind of anger/hatred come from? 
    Pretty friendly... Karl Robinson called the police after Johnson headbutted Oxford's keeper in the tunnel at half-time.
    At least we will show a bit of fight then.

So jokes aside, 

- Better than Sex comment
    - Jayden Stockley accusation
    - Allegedly headbutted a player (all I can find is a coach) 

Is this enough reason to never turn up at the valley again or protest? Seems drastic to me.

Feel like this is a bit of a snowball effect as he would be a pretty qualified manager by all accounts. 

We don't seem to be getting him regardless but I was just curious by the reaction, even I was thinking 'Christ no' but I wasn't even sure why 
  • I've seen suggestions of Chris Powell on this thread but my understanding is that he has recently taken a job in Saudi Arabia which just might pay a little more than Charlton Athletic can afford.
  • BigDiddy said:
    Charlie and his SMT are milking the club for personal gain.

Wages, expenses, fees, consultancy - fuck knows what else.

THEY HAVE NOT PUT ANY MONEY INTO THE CLUB - they are a COST. Really important we remember that. I’d be surprised in CM was on anything less than 500k per year and that is why he is here. Thats also the game in town for SMT as they are all talentless chancers who are screwing the club.

If they were ANY good, why would they be with us?

As the Airman said, they will look busy in the eyes of the yanks. It will go on for as long as the yanks will cover running costs and when the money stops, then they will all be gone. Think of  Farnell, Southall,  Paul Elliott and all the other knobs that leech money out of football clubs.

This lot are no different - managerial chaos HELPS them screw more cash out of the club.

This lot are worse than all the previous owners combined, including that vile scumbag Roly.
    Give it a rest.
    CAST need to organise and campaign for a fans buy out .... their competence is matched by their silence
    Fans cannot afford to buy and run an eflclub. Not possible. To give you the crude maths.
    If you have 10,000 subscribers which is highly unlikely each person would have to put in £4000 at least to buy the club and cover two years losses

• Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    If there isn’t a Manager and back room team ready to come in immediately the decision to clear out the whole team is idiotic IMO
    Agree although it is quite a good negotiation tool to be able to say to a new man you can bring in whomever you like to work with as long as you take them with you when you go.
    Fixed for you.
  • BigDiddy said:
    vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    I wonder if Methven gets a cut of savings he makes ? Follow the money and we would find out why this lot are involved in Charlton.

The club will have to sell millions of pounds of players each year just to stay afloat. In terms of increasing commercial income, that means ticket sales, online sales, sponsorships and so on. All those income streams will GO DOWN if the team is crap, so CM’s plan is utter madness.

I know that quite a few are pissed off by my constant rants about Charlie boy, but I honestly believe he is as toxic as Roland. Some say that we must keep personalities out of our comments, but how can we? We can only question and critique the actions of the people who own and control the club.

I agree that we really now at jeopardy of going out of existence. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but the hyperbole and gaping holes in reality make your posts mostly laughable. We get your point. You’re not happy. Perhaps time to reflect on why you’re a Charlton supporter.
    Look at the reality of the club’s predicament !

Nuff said.

• We have an interim manager, so that would suggest we won’t have anyone in post for the next match at least. Do we think Scott had someone lined up already or is he going through his list of cheap yes men in his little black book?

I’ve got to say I’ve not been impressed with Scott so far, appointed a manager who only looked good last season because of Rak-Sakyi and recruited very ordinary players in the Jan window. For this window everyone we’ve signed doesn’t even look fit.
  • edited August 2023
    Just had a thought that's a bit left field.
    Could it be a way of extracting money from the club? Holden was the Methven group's choice of manager and were probably instrumental in him being handed a 3 year deal, which will now have to be paid up.
    As I said at the start, just a thought.
    Highly improbable.
    The original Methven group deal was called off by Sandgaard in the first week of February, prompting Methven's group to threaten legal action. His admin crew (Rodwell et al) departed the Club on 15 Feb.
    That contract extension was announced on 11 March when TS was courting other parties, still being threatened with legal action.
    We can with 99% probability say that the decision to grant Holden a 3 year deal was Sandgaard's. 

• BigDiddy said:
    Charlie and his SMT are milking the club for personal gain.

Wages, expenses, fees, consultancy - fuck knows what else.

THEY HAVE NOT PUT ANY MONEY INTO THE CLUB - they are a COST. Really important we remember that. I’d be surprised in CM was on anything less than 500k per year and that is why he is here. Thats also the game in town for SMT as they are all talentless chancers who are screwing the club.

If they were ANY good, why would they be with us?

As the Airman said, they will look busy in the eyes of the yanks. It will go on for as long as the yanks will cover running costs and when the money stops, then they will all be gone. Think of  Farnell, Southall,  Paul Elliott and all the other knobs that leech money out of football clubs.

This lot are no different - managerial chaos HELPS them screw more cash out of the club.

This lot are worse than all the previous owners combined, including that vile scumbag Roly.
    Give it a rest.
    CAST need to organise and campaign for a rich but with no sense fans buy out .... their competence is matched by their silence

Fixed that for you.
  • Loving some of the regime ITKs trying blame TS for DH on the other forum. Very very funny 
  • BigDiddy said:
    vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    I wonder if Methven gets a cut of savings he makes ? Follow the money and we would find out why this lot are involved in Charlton.

The club will have to sell millions of pounds of players each year just to stay afloat. In terms of increasing commercial income, that means ticket sales, online sales, sponsorships and so on. All those income streams will GO DOWN if the team is crap, so CM’s plan is utter madness.

I know that quite a few are pissed off by my constant rants about Charlie boy, but I honestly believe he is as toxic as Roland. Some say that we must keep personalities out of our comments, but how can we? We can only question and critique the actions of the people who own and control the club.

I agree that we are now at jeopardy of going out of existence. 

I am liking your posts, I think the opening paragraph can bracket Mr Scott in as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I know this sounds like hindsight, but watching the pre match Holden interview at the Kassam, seeing how he was dressed (differently) and getting a vibe from his demeanour, the chirpy moment when Holden said the rest of the season starts now, then seeing the team selection and watching the start of the game I genuinely felt there was something fishy going on, there was a surreal strangeness. 
    Then I remember there was no usual pre match interview with Holden up on Charlton TV the day or two days before the match. First time that has happened. Strange.
    I suspect stuff had been swilling around the club before yesterday evening probably starting straight after Port Vale. Indeed the U21 team selection last Monday was ‘different’.
    Maybe somebody told Dean Holden ‘if we don’t win at Oxford, expect to be sacked by text message’ last week.
    Agree about the no match preview video. Then he appears in Jacko/Lee Johnson clobber.
  • BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    vff said:

I agree that we really now at jeopardy of going out of existence. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but the hyperbole and gaping holes in reality make your posts mostly laughable. We get your point. You’re not happy. Perhaps time to reflect on why you’re a Charlton supporter.
    Bit of a low blow to question someone’s reasoning on being a supporter.
    I am thick skinned, but a supporter since 1978.

Blind love is stupid - more fans need to make a stand/challenge what is going on, otherwise, there will be no club to support.

I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment, but what does making a stand/challenging what is going on look like?
  • Stewart said:
    My £50 bet on Charlton winning the league is not looking good at all. 
    Better stick another £50 on for us to be relegated, just to cover your bases…
  • I think one reason we have an instant interim manager is that somebody has to be in charge of things today at the training ground.
    I doubt very much that the powers that be have thought much beyond today and have anything lined up. A much more likely scenario is that the 'affordable' Jason Pearce does OK for a while and is offered some kind of ambiguous contract. Other approaches are likely to require organised thinking and money.
    If there is some kind of masterplan covering current events I would be amazed.
  • I guess someone will earn a very nice finder's fee for introducing the next manager.
    It will be interesting to see who invoices this if Lee Johnson is appointed after an extensive sesrch.
  • We have an interim manager, so that would suggest we won’t have anyone in post for the next match at least. Do we think Scott had someone lined up already or is he going through his list of cheap yes men in his little black book?

I’ve got to say I’ve not been impressed with Scott so far, appointed a manager who only looked good last season because of Rak-Sakyi and recruited very ordinary players in the Jan window. For this window everyone we’ve signed doesn’t even look fit.
    Scott and Methven do not seem a winning combination for the club.
  • Feel for Holden, but the first half against Oxford was bizarre, made me think his judgement was off. Even still I don’t think I’d have pulled the trigger until I had a replacement at least on the slate. 

Holden wasn’t doing it, but what has Jason Pearce done to warrant even the temporary job? 
  • In fairness wasn’t it TS that gave DH an extension during the spiegel phase?
    Indeed
  • TeeC said:
    Loving some of the regime ITKs trying blame TS for DH on the other forum. Very very funny 
    3 windows are allowed for our progress, I wonder why!