Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holden sacked?! (Ed. Yes - Confirmed)

Comments

• vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    I have thought for awhile they are looking to move us from the Valley down to somewhere in Kent hope I am wrong as that would be it for me & many others 

• I cannot even imagine the damage that Bowyer would do to this group of young players. Their confidence must be fragile now as it is. 
  • Oh god.....
  • Like many others, Darren Moore would be my choice. Sadly, I think it's unlikely. 

If it's Johnson, I'll find it very difficult to support the decision.  Horrible little man
    It will be neither. There is no way they will employ Johnson . They only have to ask a few fans or look on the forums to see that , that won't work and as far a Darren Moore is concerned , i'm certain his ambitions will be higher than a team close to the relegation zone in league one and even if he was , we would't be able to afford him. 
    As people have said - Now is the time to see how ambitious this latest lot of chancers are.
    Or they could feed the name (Johnson) and why he’d be the right guy to a few, more mouthy fans and gain acceptance from the inside. 
  • Wellred said:
    vff said:
    Dean Holden was known to Methven and Scott from last season. He was given a 3 year contract by Methven and pals only a few months ago. That was picked up by Holden, who foolishly believed that he would be backed in the transfer market. This did not happen. Cue disatisfaction, loss of hope from Holden and him losing the plot tactically, and having his weaknesses as a coach / manager exposed.
    The utter rubbish plan of Methven and the tall tale he told the investors is behind the current fiasco. That and the staggering incompetence and delusion of the plan. Cost cutting, playing and selling youth to reduce losses. The £1m to 2m losses plan, without any significant investment, in league one will take Charlton to League 2 and the National League. the bad things we were told about Methven and his pals is so far proving to be true.
    Ipswich had sustained and significant backing to get to the Championship. This is not what Charlton are getting currently. Why the hell did Methven bother - apart from the consultancy fees. What is the point ? The only way the plan works to sell the club for more in the championship. On Methven's cost cutting plan, even in a weakened league is just never going to happen.
    What manager or team is going to manage with the level of cost cutting by Methven ? Maybe at very best lower midtable to avoiding relegation. That is before any decent youngster is sold off.  This is what Methven has brought Charlton to. Duchatelet will be happy with the diminishing of the football club. Closer to the day when there won't be a club at the Valley.
    I have thought for awhile they are looking to move us from the Valley down to somewhere in Kent hope I am wrong as that would be it for me & many others 

Why? How would that be profitable to them? 
  • Wellred said:
    vff said:

Moving out of London would make no financial sense at all and let's face it , these people in the shadows are only involved to make money. 
  • Johnston is a prick,
  • Sponsored links:

• No huge fan of Charlie but he has admitted he is like a fan when it comes to knowing about the actual football side of things , we all know when it is good and we all know when it is Shite but hiring a manager is a different ball game .We took a gamble on Holden and it has failed miserably that is obvious so glad we have acted quickly and should imagine the next manager will have some kind of proven record .With my glass 1/2 full it shows there is a determination to make this work .
  • edited August 2023
    Someone oN Twitter said last night that they heard a couple weeks ago that Darren Ferguson would be offered the job. Actually happened, worrying leak for the club. 
  • edited August 2023
    JordanJLD said:
    I’m sure someone on here or Twitter said last night that they heard a couple weeks ago that Darren Ferguson would be offered the job. Actually happened, worrying leak for the club. 
    Tbf its not to say he would have been offered the job or even got that far anyway it would have been to discuss/interview

we are always going to be looking at multiple managers abit like signings to see who impresses or wants it
  • edited August 2023
    It also means we haven't gone behind Deans back and have a person lined up already, we are looking at options and the owners have decided that instant action was appropriate..

Call me bonkers but this is the first time the new regime have impressed me..

I accept on one hand it could be viewed as not having a clue, but also could be that they've recognised how far behind we are and are now trying to scoop up someone who has proven they can get a team promoted
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Wellred said:
    vff said:

Why? How would that be profitable to them? 

It's just a thought 
     I have had for ages even before this lot come in 
    Probably me just over thinking things 
    But it feels like we have been held back for a reason 
  • edited August 2023
    Fair play to Darren Ferguson. Unless you are at a lower division club and in employment as a manager, why would you leave a job, for a club with a reputation of getting rid of managers on a regular basis where they don’t see the season out.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Now Lee Johnson has been ruled out, why were we so against him, was this some sort of snowball effect going on? 

Bloke seems pretty friendly, managed some decent sized clubs, decent win rate at most of the clubs managed and got a promotion on his CV. So what was the big deal, saw a lot of people tweeting they'll boycott or it will be the final straw etc, where does that kind of anger/hatred come from? 
    Pretty friendly... Karl Robinson called the police after Johnson headbutted Oxford's keeper in the tunnel at half-time.
    At least we will show a bit of fight then.

So jokes aside, 

- Better than Sex comment
    - Jayden Stockley accusation
    - Allegedly headbutted a player (all I can find is a coach) 

Is this enough reason to never turn up at the valley again or protest? Seems drastic to me.

Feel like this is a bit of a snowball effect as he would be a pretty qualified manager by all accounts. 

We don't seem to be getting him regardless but I was just curious by the reaction, even I was thinking 'Christ no' but I wasn't even sure why 
    What would be enough? Is headbutting someone in a tunnel not enough. The thing is, you could break down anything short of the worst criminal behaviours and say "is that it? What's the problem?"

The guy stormed out of an interview just yesterday. He's an angry person with a grating personality, a giant chip on his shoulder, a history of violence and not much upside. Simple as that really. 
    But apart from that he's a good sort?
  • JordanJLD said:
    I’m sure someone on here or Twitter said last night that they heard a couple weeks ago that Darren Ferguson would be offered the job. Actually happened, worrying leak for the club. 
    Tbf its not to say he would have been offered the job or even got that far anyway it would have been to discuss/interview

we are always going to be looking at multiple managers abit like signings to see who impresses or wants it
    I amended my post with the tweet. Does feel too similar for it to not have some truth behind it though, at least we know what level of manager we’re after though. 

Or it’s just a ploy and we’ll end up with Pearce till the end of the season 😂
  • I am genuinely scratching my head that so many on here seem to think that N Jones would be a good idea. I know he had a thing at Luton but he was an utter laughing stock at Stoke and Southampton. And to me at least he comes across as smug and self deluded. Just my view. 
    And he's been gone too long.
  • I am very very surprised at this. That we were willing to compete with another league 1 rival for their own manager. 

Hardly surprising he has rejected us but I think it bodes well we are aiming for that type of manager personally..
      It's bullshit. They (owners) knew Ferguson would never come and they knew MacAnthony would shout the rebuff from the rooftops.

It's another part of the game before announcing another underwhelming appointment.

"We tried!"
    Like when Southall wanted to buy Ivan Toney for 2m+.

We ended up with David Davis on loan.
     Yep. MacAnthony is great for opening his gob and our dreadful owners use it to great advantage.
  • BigDiddy said:
    I wonder if the senior management team (uk division) slept soundly last night . After all it was them who recommended Holden and 3 weeks after the take over they are ordered or decide to sack him, either way if I had invested in Charlton I wouldn’t be impressed, and I would be wondering if they were the correct people to trust my investment with. 
    I questioned the motives of this lot when they were first touted as potential buyers, many months back.

I was right to be cynical - you can tell by the way they have gone about business that they are chancers trying to make a bob or two on high wages, fees, commissions and expenses. CM and his SMT will be milking it and there will be zero transparency on what they take out of the club. As for the yanks, who knows? I suspect old Charlie boy will be calling them for a little help with the cashflow. I even suspect they might try and get rid of a few this week to reduce the playing side’s costs.

How long might this go on for? My hunch is that the crunch will occur around Xmas - if Leaburn and Dobbo are still here, CM may try and sell them to balance the books and keep the yanks off his back.
    Even Alfie may be sold on. Attendances/income may fall which will speed up the crunch.

There is no miracle cure to this - the cupboard is empty as we have seen these past 6 games.

Pearce and Hayes may get more out of the players and we may see a bounce back over the next few weeks, but the club is in free fall with no apparent plan in place. A new manager in this set up will also fail.

The only hope would be a massive cash injection with a good manager to delivery a total rebuild, but i doubt this lot will not do that - if they had any such intention, they should have announced it by now and got the fans on side. CM may persuade the yanks to put more cash in, but that will only go on for so long as we found out with TS.

When I say a massive cash injection I mean many millions but could this lot be trusted?

It’s about to get worse in my view.

I wonder if your opinion or others will change if the deadwood is moved out, three players arrive and a decent, rated Manager is appointed. None of those are certain but they are at the same level as your vision. Quite simply no one knows, we can only guess and whilst guess work plays a large part of this forum, it is what it is guess work. 
  • JordanJLD said:
    JordanJLD said:

I amended my post with the tweet. Does feel too similar for it to not have some truth behind it though, at least we know what level of manager we’re after though. 

Or it’s just a ploy and we’ll end up with Pearce till the end of the season 😂
    Yea exactly nice to see a proven successful manager approached but could it be a nombe situation again “oooo we tried but ended up with a cheap loan signing instead” 🙄😂