Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic Vs Leyton Orient: Saturday 5th August 2023: KO 3.00pm

Comments

• Options
    th0rryy said:
    Also, anyone else figure out what the huddle and then following yellow for Fraser before that corner was about - assuming timewasting?
    It looked like they were discussing a pre-planned set piece... Given the movement made by Lloyd Jones to win the header.

The referee deemed it as time wasting, rather than using his brain

It did take an eternity though, and involved the whole team, which I've never seen at a set piece before. Indeed it was slower than the England cricket team's over rate this summer!

It's not as if we had hundreds of set pieces, surely the players just need a quick "No 7" reminder or whatever.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    "Our supporters were tremendous," says their manager. "Away end was amazing today," says Orient Twitterer. Am I losing my hearing? I didn't hear a peep out of their support all game. 
    Yep, gotta be the quietest the Seed has ever been when full. Given it was 0 0 for thr first 45 you'd have expected loads more noise. And the front half of the stand were sitting down all game. All very sedate. 
  • Options
    "But I don't think Charlton are the barometer for promotion. I'd say they were the barometer for mid-table."

There's someone who knows
    I agree. There really was not much difference between that performance and last season.
    Maybe when Camara and Edun are match fit and we have some more new players it may be different, but today was a midtable performance.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    "But I don't think Charlton are the barometer for promotion. I'd say they were the barometer for mid-table."

There's someone who knows
    I agree. There really was not much difference between that performance and last season.
    Maybe when Camara and Edun are match fit and we have some more new players it may be different, but today was a midtable performance.
    I agree. 

We looked painfully out of ideas hence Ness just knocking it long for May to work something out. 

Have to say he did more as a solo forward than Stockley did in terms of pressuring and bringing the ball under control.
  • Options
    Well I feel a lot more positive than most on here tonight. Cracking start to the season and plenty of encouragement. 

That wasn’t our best team and we will get better. Increasingly confident this will be a good season. 

Brilliant buzz around the ground today. Suspect those there enjoyed it 10 times more than those watching on stream. 
    Totally agree and surprised by some comments.

Feel very optimistic after today and on a separate note I understand that my Barnsley mad BIL hasn’t stopped smiling!

COYR!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unconvincing I would say….Alfie May and CBT the bright spots for me
  • Options
    A bit bizarre having May so prominent defending at corners - not much phyiscal presence. Can't fault his work rate.

Edun looked very lively.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Well I feel a lot more positive than most on here tonight. Cracking start to the season and plenty of encouragement. 

That wasn’t our best team and we will get better. Increasingly confident this will be a good season. 

Brilliant buzz around the ground today. Suspect those there enjoyed it 10 times more than those watching on stream. 
    Totally agree and surprised by some comments.

Feel very optimistic after today and on a separate note I understand that my Barnsley mad BIL hasn’t stopped smiling!

COYR!
    To be fair they won 7-0, so I think he deserves to be floating more than we do after a ground out 1-0!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    A few Managers said 'Charlton will be up there' when they lost to us early in the season. It means nothing.

Camera's miss was bad but I'm not sure all Charlton fans know the meaning of an open goal, if that's what they deemed it to be.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A few Managers said 'Charlton will be up there' when they lost to us early in the season. It means nothing.

Camera's miss was bad but I'm not sure all Charlton fans know the meaning of an open goal, if that's what they deemed it to be.
    The weird one was under Adkins when everyone that beat us said we would be up there at the end of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:

The weird one was under Adkins when everyone that beat us said we would be up there at the end of the season. 
    Almost like all these managers have known that there were issues with club management meddling with team management.
  • Options
    A good game for us. The first 10 minutes I thought we looked loose at the back but once we sorted that out we bossed the game really. May was unlucky not to score. He’s a live wire and will get goals. It’s nice to see so many quality Academy players in the team. Things are definitely looking up. 
    Pratley had Fraser more or less in his pocket until he went off. Camara coming on was a breathe of fresh air. He’ll be class at L1 level I feel. 
    We do need support for May up front though. Hopefully a couple more quality signings this week will do the trick. 
    And, a crowd of 18,000 plus. Really, not too shabby. And, It’s always nice to start the weekend with a Charlton win. COYR!!
  • Options
    jams said:
    🎶 a clean sheet win 🎶
    Felt sure I could hear someone humming Addicks to victory……
  • Options
    mendonca said:

To be fair it looked an open goal from the front of the covered end at the time but having just watched the highlights it wasn’t as clear cut - still should have scored though 
  • Options
    How good a save from their keeper was it after May’s Mendonca-esque foot switch? Looked a worldy save from the side.

Thought it was going to be the perfect start for Alfie. 
    Annoyingly an excellent save after some great skill and whack! 

Wasn't impressed with AMB's simple save near the final whistle, mind!