Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic Vs Leyton Orient: Saturday 5th August 2023: KO 3.00pm

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    The Charlie Kirk negativity is getting boring now.

he was only on for ten minutes and short of choosing not to shoot from his own half I can’t see what he did wrong.
    He did have that air shot on the edge of their box, but didn't do much wrong other than that
    That did look like a swing and a miss but I think the defender got the slightest of touches to put him off
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game - you can see we are light years better than last year. Just need a couple of players to finish the squad off. 

Was a good atmosphere at the ground , only spoiled by the failure to get a beer at half time. The caterers/club are throwing money away there. 
  • Options
    xG for today’s game (don’t laugh)

Charlton 1.74
    Orient 0.29

Would have been a travesty if we hadn’t taken three points from that game.
    I assume this was significantly skewed by the late open goal miss from Camara. Was not that comprehensive IMO, orient didn’t look like scoring but we also looked a bit vulnerable defensively at points, tougher tests to come but we overcame todays.
  • Options
    The Charlie Kirk negativity is getting boring now.

he was only on for ten minutes and short of choosing not to shoot from his own half I can’t see what he did wrong.
    That was the correct decision he was a long way out and on the touchline.. So he played safe and got us a throw... If he had kicked it and it got picked up by Orient and led to a goal what would be people saying then..
    I disagree. 

He got us a throw in our own half that nearly got turned over into an attack for them.  

Wouldn't expect him to score from where he was but the ball could (and should) have ended up in with the Orient fans. Much harder to score from a gk than in our half.

And he miskicked 18 yards out. Wouldn't have him upfront in a month of Sunday's
    I seem to remember that we had men breaking through the middle as well. Anything into the penalty box could have resulted in a goal for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought that was poor to be honest and very reminiscent of last season. A better side than Orient and we wouldn't have won.

Far too many long balls for May to chase, and it was noticeable how static everyone was when our centre backs had the ball, meaning no option but to go long. 

But playing poorly and winning 1 nil is the sign of champions 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I know we shouldn't complain but Kirk for his ten minutes was... Atrocious. Literally no real drive to do anything.

Remember now I defended him a lot the past two seasons. 

In the warm ups he was whining every time he lost the ball and even had something of an altercation with Hector...
    I think @sage has mentioned this side of him. He really is a stroppy manchild with a combover. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Good to start with a win. Don’t like this ridiculous amount of added time if only because it means @Arsenetatters hens don’t get fed until ten past five.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    "Our supporters were tremendous," says their manager. "Away end was amazing today," says Orient Twitterer. Am I losing my hearing? I didn't hear a peep out of their support all game. 
    I thought they were incredibly quiet for their numbers, though they were probably reeling from the fact their 'cohesive transfer policy' was not kicking in
  • Options
    Managers will always say the usual things. How good their fans were, and how good the opposition were.

It's reflects much better on the manager and his players if he can put it out there that the opponents are a quality outfit challenging for promotion, and that only losing 1-0 was a great achievement  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very happy to take the 3 points. If Orient play like that across the season, they should be fine to stay up.

Loved watching May all game, but we're crying out for someone to hold the ball up for him and give us another outlet. We spent most of the game forcing the ball down the left and, as successful as CB-T was, it made us a little one-dimensional. I feel like that strategy was forced on us because of the lack of height/hold up play up front. Arguably, we need at least one striker - if not two, if Chuks cannot be counted on. No-one will want to sell before the window closes, but this is likely what we'll need and what this game highlighted. We're a May injury away from a complete striker crisis.

Plenty of positives across the pitch, but getting points off of better sides will be a challenge if we don't bring in a couple more faces. Peterboro next week should offer another decent test - happily avoid defeat and then look for 6 in the week after with the 2 more home games.

Glad we held on and could have nicked a 2nd. Probably would have bottled this the last couple of seasons.
  • Options
    Also, anyone else figure out what the huddle and then following yellow for Fraser before that corner was about - assuming timewasting?
  • Options
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12934488/charlton-athletic-1-0-leyton-orient-league-one-highlights

Having watched Camara's miss back, his error was he could have put it back across the keeper. But tbh I have to say it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had in my head.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    Also, anyone else figure out what the huddle and then following yellow for Fraser before that corner was about - assuming timewasting?
    It looked like they were discussing a pre-planned set piece... Given the movement made by Lloyd Jones to win the header.

The referee deemed it as time wasting, rather than using his brain
  • Options
    Who is Tupac?
  • Options
    Who is Tupac?
    Tyreece Anthony Tupac Shakur Campbell.