Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aberdeen Match Thread

Comments

• edited July 2023
    That was basically the Millwall game but in reverse.

Only problem is Aberdeen scored three in the first half, not two.
    I get what you’re saying but Aberdeen created a lot more clear cut chances than we did against  Millwall.

If it wasn’t for the penalty miss & AMB putting in a fantastic performance (showing he’s our number 1) then Aberdeen could easily have had 6.

The 2-3 scoreline flatters us a bit based on our defensive performance today. Wide open and all over the place at times.
    Making decent saves is what goalies are supposed to do isn’t it? They were good saves, but not freakishly so. Any keeper who’d let in an extra three goals would probably lose his place in the side. 
    Agree AMB’a our number 1 though. 👍
  • wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I think we have struck lucky with Dean Holden. He's got something about him.

But ....

If he carries on playing Kirk after today I'm going to start doubting him. Kirk was absolutely woeful - no other words for it. We've got to get Kirk out of the door somehow.
    If Leaburn had been fit, he would of course played instead of Kirk. 

Absolutely. But young Campbell would have least have tried. And he showed far more in his 20 minutes on the pitch than Kirk did in a much longer time.

You cannot carry on playing Kirk. He's had so many chances to show he is a good player and never takes them. It's time to finally say enough.
    I totally agree, especially regarding Campbell.

Despite a decent enough showing against Millwall in midweek, we all know that Kirk is the square peg in the round hole.
    Since Leaburn's injury, we also all know we're lacking the big strong mobile hold up player that the 3-5-2 formation demands.

Kirk ain't that player, just a stop gap.

Stop gap is rhyming slang for what Kirk is .  I’m amazed anyone still has any faith in him 
    It ain't me. I like my footballers to give 100%. That ain't Kirk the Shirk.

• Aberdeen are miles behind Celtic and Rangers - most of their players would probably be lucky to sign for Championship clubs.

Firat half display is worrying.

They finished third and were about 35 points behind second place.
  • A very good exercise which exposed some frailties in our formation. But am quietly confident that we will be okay against Orient. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

But ....

If he carries on playing Kirk after today I'm going to start doubting him. Kirk was absolutely woeful - no other words for it. We've got to get Kirk out of the door somehow.

Absolutely. But young Campbell would have least have tried. And he showed far more in his 20 minutes on the pitch than Kirk did in a much longer time.

You cannot carry on playing Kirk. He's had so many chances to show he is a good player and never takes them. It's time to finally say enough.

Despite a decent enough showing against Millwall in midweek, we all know that Kirk is the square peg in the round hole.
    Since Leaburn's injury, we also all know we're lacking the big strong mobile hold up player that the 3-5-2 formation demands.

Stop gap is rhyming slang for what Kirk is .  I’m amazed anyone still has any faith in him 
    100%. He is one of the worst players I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt. I wouldn’t mind him being crap if he put effort in - he can’t even do that. 
  • Aberdeen are miles behind Celtic and Rangers - most of their players would probably be lucky to sign for Championship clubs.

And Charlton finished 10th in our own lower standard League, 15 points behind even a playoff place and 36 points behind 2nd place. :)

• Oggy Red said:
    Aberdeen are miles behind Celtic and Rangers - most of their players would probably be lucky to sign for Championship clubs.

And Charlton finished 10th in our own lower standard League, 15 points behind even a playoff place and 36 points behind 2nd place. :)

Neither are going to be beating Man City.
  • edited July 2023
    Aberdeen are miles behind Celtic and Rangers - most of their players would probably be lucky to sign for Championship clubs.

Massively disrespectful to Scottish football - they are good side and would peg them as top 6 Championship myself.
  • Kirk was playing completely out of position, but having said that he does not fit our team, it did show that May does need a partner. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    All of a sudden Aberdeen are a decent team and Scottish football isn’t shit 

You’re biased mate I want the opinion of  @cafcdave123 😉
  • Kirk was playing completely out of position, but having said that he does not fit our team, it did show that May does need a partner. 
    What is his position? Would love to find out one day.
  • I thought it a 3 o’clock kick off. Missed the whole thing, I might have been fortunate. 
  • All of a sudden Aberdeen are a decent team and Scottish football isn’t shit 

It never has been shit…

Compared to the Premier League maybe it is. But we just finished 10th in League One - the 54th best team in England.

And we think we have a right to turn up and beat the 3rd best in Scotland? 
    Even if it had finished 3-3, the Scottish record books would have had it as a 3-3 win to Aberdeen.

It never has been shit…

Compared to the Premier League maybe it is. But we just finished 10th in League One - the 54th best team in England.

Come on.  The rest of the SPL is dire , bar Celtic.  To be 0-3 down against them is alarming 
  • Brownie12 said:
    Kirk was playing completely out of position, but having said that he does not fit our team, it did show that May does need a partner. 
    Whilst you are right about being out of position, the minimum requirement (in my book) is effort, he doesn’t put that in. 
    And what was that half hearted stab with his left at goal in about the tenth minute from about 12 yards, it didn’t even threaten the target or the away fans in the front row 😏.
  • edited July 2023
    All of a sudden Aberdeen are a decent team and Scottish football isn’t shit 

It never has been shit…

"It never has been s***" :D

Come on, the bottom five would be League 1 standard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Kirk was playing completely out of position, but having said that he does not fit our team, it did show that May does need a partner. 
    Apparently he's an excellent Financial Director, but we keep on playing him as a footballer. 
  • edited July 2023
    Stig said:
    Apparently a winger according to Wikipedia...well he's certainly winging it...🙄
  • wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

But ....

Thought he looked ok against Millwall, but today he put in his usual poor performance.
  • edited July 2023
    I thought it a 3 o’clock kick off. Missed the whole thing, I might have been fortunate. 
    So did my son, here’s a brief summary  @charltonkeston I sent him;

‘You never missed much 3-5-2 with CBT LWB & Ness behind him was like a knife through butter. Assimwe og after 2 mins, 3-0 down HT and they missed a pen could’ve been 6-0. Kirk useless. Second half changes with Thomas LB & CBT LW better. 2-3 flattered us AMB made 4/5 very good saves to keep the score respectable.’
  • RedChaser said:
    Brownie12 said:
    Whilst you are right about being out of position, the minimum requirement (in my book) is effort, he doesn’t put that in. 
    And what was that half hearted stab with his left at goal in about the tenth minute from about 12 yards, it didn’t even threaten the target or the away fans in the front row 😏.
    You are being harsh, that was a good effort for him

It never has been shit…

No, but they're not top 6 in the championship either.
  • First half was woeful. Back 5 all over the shop. So much so that I started bike maintenance at half time and barely watched the second half.

I have no idea how Aberdeen rate against Championship sides (they lost 2-0 to Preston last week) but they were significantly better than us

Imo we need a left sided centreback, one possibly two forward options or we going to waste May's obvious talent and a right wingback. Asimewe has done ok, but he is not going to last a season at the moment.

Said it on the match thread, but hopefully that silences the doubters around Dobson. Was out best player imo.