Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aberdeen Match Thread

Comments

• I’d have taken that result up front 
  • On target. Kanu's goal all day long 
  • Was delighted to hear Kanu scored, watching the replay, you cant give him that sadly - Lovely assist though for the OG
    Was on target… definitely Kanu’s. :-)
    Agreed. Not that the dubious goal committee would be looking at a goal in a friendly anyway  :D
  • Slightly better second half but could have been a cricket score. Much still to do. 
  • Good second half, in which the subs made the difference, good work out, and looking forward to Orient next week
  • Pleased for Kanu, as others have said, hope it gives him the world of confidence.
  • That was basically the Millwall game but in reverse.

Only problem is Aberdeen scored three in the first half, not two.
  • edited July 2023
    Be interesting to hear Deans post match interview.

Hope it’s an honest appraisal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looked so much better with Anderson on the pitch imo

deffo Kanu’s goal, was going in the bottom corner without the deflection 
  • RedChaser said:
    2-3 Kanu
    Is that his first goal for the first team albeit in a friendly?
    He scored against Plymouth in the JPT last season.
  • edited July 2023
     Better 2nd half with CBT relieved of defensive duties, sorry to say but 2-3 flattered us 😞.
  • Ft 3-2. Much better second half but did feel Aberdeen were in first or second gear.

Campbell has got to have got himself ahead of Kirk, or Edun if deemed fit enough starts and CBT goes up top. If we haven't signed a new striker by then.

Would also start Thomas ahead of Ness at the left centre back position.
  • Damage limitation by the sound of the first half, only saw the last 15mins - To get it back to 2-3 though shows they've hopefully listened to Holden in the dressing room again.

Hopefully its exposed some issues for the team to work on ahead of next Saturday - Holden will certainly learn a lot more, compared with another routine victory.

Let the season commence.
  • Aberdeen barely got out of second gear in the second half, handed us the momentum.
    Lots for Holden to ponder and work on
  • Played some nice stuff at times and look good going forward.  A bit toothless at times. And yes defensively more work to be done. I think Aberdeen equate to upper championship/lower prem
  • Think what today showed is ideally we could do with another CB, LWB and obviously at least one striker. Probably wishful thinking to get them all though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    TEL said:
    Slightly better second half but could have been a cricket score. Much still to do. 
    Much better second half, but overall very shaky defensively. Loved Kanu’s goal.
    We were better without Kirk. Thomas was ok. Hector improved. 
    Aberdeen were very decent. Ideal for the final pre season. 
  • Good second half, in which the subs made the difference, good work out, and looking forward to Orient next week
    Even though the gaps behind CBT were painfully exposed and exploited, there were nevertheless several players giving a good account of themselves.
    The subs were hungry and brought new energy.

Definitely a good work out against a higher standard opponent, highlighting the weaknesses in our set up.
    Yet some positives too especially that we kept at it to the final whistle. 

There'll be new players coming in and a couple departing, but Holden will know he has plenty to sort out before next Saturday.

• edited July 2023
    Ness and Hector were the biggest issue in the first half. Ness switched sides and second half was much better for us overall.  I think a CB with pace and of course a striker are the two areas we most need to strengthen in. At the end of the day a good friendly for us.
  • I think we have struck lucky with Dean Holden. He's got something about him.

But ....

If he carries on playing Kirk after today I'm going to start doubting him. Kirk was absolutely woeful - no other words for it. We've got to get Kirk out of the door somehow.
  • I think we have struck lucky with Dean Holden. He's got something about him.

But ....

If he carries on playing Kirk after today I'm going to start doubting him. Kirk was absolutely woeful - no other words for it. We've got to get Kirk out of the door somehow.
    If Leaburn had been fit, he would of course played instead of Kirk. 

• edited July 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Good second half, in which the subs made the difference, good work out, and looking forward to Orient next week
    Even though the gaps behind CBT were painfully exposed and exploited, there were nevertheless several players giving a good account of themselves.
    The subs were hungry and brought new energy.

Definitely a good work out against a higher standard opponent, highlighting the weaknesses in our set up.
    Yet some positives too especially that we kept at it to the final whistle. 

There'll be new players coming in and a couple departing, but Holden will know he has plenty to sort out before next Saturday.

I said on this thread prior to KO, that the obvious negative in the starting line up was the gaps behind CBT could be horribly exposed and they were from the KO.
    If you play wing backs (CBT is a winger not a wing back), that push too far forwards, you will always be exposed by a team capable of doing so.
    It can only work against very limited opposition who haven't the ability to take advantage.
  • Looked so much better with Anderson on the pitch imo

deffo Kanu’s goal, was going in the bottom corner without the deflection 
    Agree. Thought Camara was disappointing today, especially after he's looked good so far