Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aberdeen Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Whoever authorised Kirk and DJ's (aware he didn't play today's) purchases has committed a genuine war crime.

Fkn gash players, I actually don't know who I think is worse. Well over a million on the pair of them when you factor in everything and academy boy Campbell is so clear of them it's actually quite sad. 

Campbell is one of my favourite players atm, never goes hiding, honest player, quick, makes us dangerous and he is one of our own. Campbell, Asiimwe and Karoy are fantastic academy players. I would genuinely start all three against Leyton Orient, they look up for it and have the skill to back it up.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Putting the formation to one side for a moment, for the majority of the game Aberdeen looked way bigger fitter and more powerful than us, and were winning the 50-50's all over the place.
    It never changes.
  • Options
    Guys it's a pre season the expectation on social media after millwall was ridiculous really do think today wont do us any harm.. As DB said they picked  his fixture because it would be our toughest fixture and an excellent yard stick to gauge where we are.. Don't think we saw anything we did not already know.. We need proper  wing backs which we have ready to come in,  we need another striker the club are trying to bring one in.... 
    Just a note Orient have had a terrible preseason including loss at Colchester and draw  at Dagenham and ….Billericay  But all them
    results wont mean anything at 3pm next Saturday just like Charlton result today. 
    Who is DB? David Brent?
  • Options
    You can't convert CBT into a wing back and then suddenly a forward. That shows no structure or development for the team or player. 
  • Options
    Are you not winning the league anymore then? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just back.
    Putting the formation to one side for a moment, for the majority of the game Aberdeen looked way bigger fitter and more powerful than us, and were winning the 50-50's all over the place. They also had a lot of good players, including that goalscoring bloke and the right winger, but all of them could play. I align with those here who say Aberdeen were a very good side, and as somebody said only Bolton looked as good as them at the Valley last season, and we lost to more teams than Bolton.
    The first half we were played off the park in my view, but with a couple of caveats in that CBT continually did them on the wide left, but opportunity after opportunity we couldn't put away, a lot because Aberdeen defended well. Other first half positives were Asimwe (Egbo will need to be very obviously better at the moment to oust him), Dobson's performance and example prevented an utter humiliation by half time, AMB was excellent as he was throughout and is a definite first choice as it stands. Fraser got a bit better but Camara dipped (well marshalled by Aberdeen). The rest weren't great. It got a lot better with a back four and the shredded Ness back in his more accustomed position, and then the introduction of the often unfairly criticised Thomas.  It continued with better shape and improved a lot with the substitutions in the second half.
    Anderson for Camara and especially Campbell for Kirk came on when Thomas did, and we got some zip and zest back in the team. Aberdeen powerful though their players were, found themselves less confident against the speed close control and trickery which we started to employ, and we then snaffled a couple of goals. Delighted for Kanu and it would have gone in anyway from my angle.
    Assuming nobody else is available, and nobody injured in training, I agree with what has been written elsewhere (@callum) about the starting eleven against Leyton Orient, and if the last match day place is between Kanu and Kirk I would absolutely give it to the trier Kanu rather than the louche Kirk who seems to think one fancy backheel a game justifies his place.
    I thought the commentator confirmed that we stayed with a 3.5.2, with Ness moving to RCH and Thomas LCH, i did not see 4 at the back at all, can someone confirm which is correct, thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe some on here don't think Aberdeen are not better then any team we will face in the league 1
    Today was just a friendly & you Can't read to much into it but we definitely are looking better 
    There is work still to be done which is to be expected as it never happens overnight but as the season goes on I can see us getting stronger remember it's the second half of the season when you need to be at your best 
    Don't panic we will be fine 
    Come On You Reds  B)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don't know where the idea that CBT is in any way defensive has come from.
    I have always seen the occasional tracking back from him and DJ as a kind of unexpected bonus.
    DJ was considerably better at defensive duties than CBT during his stint as a wing back. You just got virtually no attacking threat. 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    seth plum said:
    Just back.
    Putting the formation to one side for a moment, for the majority of the game Aberdeen looked way bigger fitter and more powerful than us, and were winning the 50-50's all over the place. They also had a lot of good players, including that goalscoring bloke and the right winger, but all of them could play. I align with those here who say Aberdeen were a very good side, and as somebody said only Bolton looked as good as them at the Valley last season, and we lost to more teams than Bolton.
    The first half we were played off the park in my view, but with a couple of caveats in that CBT continually did them on the wide left, but opportunity after opportunity we couldn't put away, a lot because Aberdeen defended well. Other first half positives were Asimwe (Egbo will need to be very obviously better at the moment to oust him), Dobson's performance and example prevented an utter humiliation by half time, AMB was excellent as he was throughout and is a definite first choice as it stands. Fraser got a bit better but Camara dipped (well marshalled by Aberdeen). The rest weren't great. It got a lot better with a back four and the shredded Ness back in his more accustomed position, and then the introduction of the often unfairly criticised Thomas.  It continued with better shape and improved a lot with the substitutions in the second half.
    Anderson for Camara and especially Campbell for Kirk came on when Thomas did, and we got some zip and zest back in the team. Aberdeen powerful though their players were, found themselves less confident against the speed close control and trickery which we started to employ, and we then snaffled a couple of goals. Delighted for Kanu and it would have gone in anyway from my angle.
    Assuming nobody else is available, and nobody injured in training, I agree with what has been written elsewhere (@callum) about the starting eleven against Leyton Orient, and if the last match day place is between Kanu and Kirk I would absolutely give it to the trier Kanu rather than the louche Kirk who seems to think one fancy backheel a game justifies his place.
    I thought the commentator confirmed that we stayed with a 3.5.2, with Ness moving to RCH and Thomas LCH, i did not see 4 at the back at all, can someone confirm which is correct, thanks.
    I saw it as Asimwe Ness Hector Thomas
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    seth plum said:
    Just back.
    We didn't give to a back 4 2nd half
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I think CBT is a left back when defending and a winger when attacking. Yes, when a team breaks down our attack he isn't defending as he is up the pitch. That is part of the way we set up and ideally a centre half covers that. He is a part time wing back which is fine as I think he is enough of a threat at the other end to make that work. In the first half, Ness and Hector had shockers, that was the problem. A small bit of re-organisation and it was a lot better.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    RedJohn said:
    seth plum said:
    Just back.
    I saw it as Asimwe Ness Hector Thomas
    You saw it wrong 
  • Options
    Just read on NewsNow link a Scottish paper analysing the game. Aberdeen have big problems in defence , the defence today was a makeshift line up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Yes, Aberdeen had their best 4 CBs out of action today for various reasons, so weaker at the back than usual.
  • Options
    Rude awakening, an alarm every 5 minutes when you're drifting off again rude awakening.

We don't have the personnel for 5 at the back or wing backs. We don't have a single wing back at the club (can't assess Edun yet) closest player is Asiimwe (I'll get to him). I keep hammering on about centre backs, we don't need one anymore, two at least! Especially if we insist on 5 at the back. Hector looked knackered and lazy, Jones no different from Innis for me, a bit sharper but probably a worse passer of the ball and less physical. Ness can't be a Charlton Athletic starter, we have to do better, he's a pizza cup centre back all day. 

AMB how is he nailed on number 1? They should have been 5 or 6 up at the break. Second half a bit better, a few good saves, but he isn't assured enough, he doesn't distribute that well (in his defense we have 0 target men) and he just doesn't fill me with confidence to be honest. I'd rather see Isted given a go, seems the more confident goalkeeper to me. 

Midfielders Christ, Fraser non existent first half, way better second, Dobbo, credit where credit is due looked like the only midfielder who was up for a fast paced game, looked relax and up to playing a good footballing team, faded later. Camara looks like he isn't ready to start yet, fitness issues, I would start Karoy ahead of him who so far, looks like our most dangerous midfielder. When Karoy came on, Asiimwe remembered how to play football again, he gave the whole team a new wave of energy it seemed.

Alfie May NEEDS a strike partner, that lad can run for days and is very clever but he needs someone to reward his hard work, can't have him feeding off scraps, some of the runs he made were brilliant (Payne found one of them) I reckon if Terry Taylor is the player Burton fans are claiming Alfie could thrive with his passing. 

Charlie Kirk, just get rid, I would actually pay a club to get him off the books, woeful. Slow, predictable, uninterested. He's taking the piss, cost a lot of money for the club to bring him in and I imagine his wages aren't cheap, plays like he's doing us a favour. Needs to be shown the door, Campbell is 5x the player he is. 

CBT is CBT, can't defend to save his life but the most gifted footballer we have in terms of dribbling, cause them a lot of bother when he put the burners on.

All in all I thought Aberdeen were decent, I'd have them down as championship bottom half side, some very decent players in their team. They looked like they were ahead of us fitness wise and showed that once you put the high press on us, too many of our players lose their composure.

Holden has a real problem at the moment, it's very clear 5 at the back isn't for us but he's played it all pre-season. CBT and Campbell are our best attacking outlets but he doesn't play a formation to suit them, we don't have a centre back that is promotion quality imo, compare Hector to Santos from Bolton as an example, night and day. 

I don't know what he's gonna do for opening day but he needs to go with a midfield heavy formation imo, that's where our depth and best players are, need to exploit that. 

I wasn't even at the game & I agree with this.

We dont have the players to play with wingbacks so why are we trying ?  At least last season we had some success with 4-3-3.....but as I also said a month or two ago we need to replace JRS. CBT best attribute is running at defenders & he is NOT a defender. Drill defending into him & you'll lose the attack mindedness. And as I've said many times Kirk is not a striker.

But what do I know. Let's persist with round pegs in square holes & be happy to finish 10th again. 

But you weren’t there
  • Options
    Let’s be honest, the defending today was atrocious. But they have never played together, Jones and Hector in particular have had a very disrupted pre season against an excellent strike force. 

While a concern they’ll look to address very much throughout the week, I am sure we will see an improvement performances while the cb’s get used to playing together. 

That said I would start Thomas in LCB next week as I think he’s a calm head while the defence get fit and get to know each other. I also think his distribution is underrated on here.
  • Options
    The change of moving Ness from the left made a big difference. Not perfect defensively after that but much better and a useful learning. That is ultimately what these games are for.
    I couldn't understand why they left it until half time to make the change. Jones played on the left at Welling. It was obvious after the first goal that the right footed Ness was exposed by the fast attacks down the right.
  • Options
    I spot Methven, Rodwell, Storrie, Capaldi (and some mates?), Chuks, Leaburn Sr, Leaburn Jr and Edun… Any others?
    Harry Potter in the orange, Booker T far right and Richard Attenborough at the bottom. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I think we have struck lucky with Dean Holden. He's got something about him.

But ....

If he carries on playing Kirk after today I'm going to start doubting him. Kirk was absolutely woeful - no other words for it. We've got to get Kirk out of the door somehow.
    If Leaburn had been fit, he would of course played instead of Kirk. 

Absolutely. But young Campbell would have least have tried. And he showed far more in his 20 minutes on the pitch than Kirk did in a much longer time.

You cannot carry on playing Kirk. He's had so many chances to show he is a good player and never takes them. It's time to finally say enough.
    I totally agree, especially regarding Campbell.

Despite a decent enough showing against Millwall in midweek, we all know that Kirk is the square peg in the round hole.
    Since Leaburn's injury, we also all know we're lacking the big strong mobile hold up player that the 3-5-2 formation demands.

Kirk ain't that player, just a stop gap.

Stop gap is rhyming slang for what Kirk is .  I’m amazed anyone still has any faith in him 
    Perhaps he was put in the shop window. Unfortunately after that showing I doubt if anyone is seriously interested. 
  • Options
    I think people need to take bit of a step back.  Yes we were dreadful in the first half, but it was a friendly…..much better for the problems to show now rather than next week. It’s been clear for a while now that we have we need to strengthen in certain areas - Holden knows that and will address it.

2-0 up at Millwall and we were winning the league, 0-3 down today and the whole team need shooting…. How about waiting to see how we fair over the first few games of the proper season?
  • Options
    You learn more from mistakes than perfection. 

I'm not too fussed with losing 3-2 to the side that finished 3rd behind Celtic and Rangers.
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    I think people need to take bit of a step back.  Yes we were dreadful in the first half, but it was a friendly…..much better for the problems to show now rather than next week. It’s been clear for a while now that we have we need to strengthen in certain areas - Holden knows that and will address it.

2-0 up at Millwall and we were winning the league, 0-3 down today and the whole team need shooting…. How about waiting to see how we fair over the first few games of the proper season?
    Who thought we were winning the league with that squad ?
  • Options
    I took my daughter for her first game (she’s 4 next week) and she didn’t like it. She asked to go home 2 minutes in. At half time I thought maybe we should have! I’ll try again in the future when she’s a bit older. 

I sat right behind the away dugout and they were really impressed with AMB. They had a look of astonishment after the double save he did and made a few comments about worldie after worldie save. Was happy for Kanu to get a goal.