Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• Options
    Will be interesting to learn the dynamics of our huge ownership consortium. Americans culturally have a pretty cold attitude to hiring / firing head coaches, yet Holden was Methven & Rodwell’s man that they wanted in and who they we’re probably waxing lyrical about in their sales pitches. 

If the major American investors are showing any sort of interest in how the club is doing (no evidence of that yet) I’d expect pressure being put on Charlie Boy & Rodwell 
     I think everyone would do well to look at this from outside the traditional box of football ownership.
    This is more a Dragons den approach imo.
     I reckon they thought Methvens pitch was pretty wild but the fact he was willing to put his own dough up made them throw a few quid his way ,albeit with little risk to themselves.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Things are a lot worse than Methven painted no doubt.
    I think if it was me, I'd be less inclined to put anymore money in than I was 4 weeks ago!
  • Options
    We beat Sunderland twice at Wembley. You know what they say about running over Black Cats. 
  • Options
    Methven is an Oxford United fan, so I doubt he feels the same as us this evening.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to learn the dynamics of our huge ownership consortium. Americans culturally have a pretty cold attitude to hiring / firing head coaches, yet Holden was Methven & Rodwell’s man that they wanted in and who they we’re probably waxing lyrical about in their sales pitches. 

If the major American investors are showing any sort of interest in how the club is doing (no evidence of that yet) I’d expect pressure being put on Charlie Boy & Rodwell 
     I think everyone would do well to look at this from outside the traditional box of football ownership.
    This is more a Dragons den approach imo.
     I reckon they thought Methvens pitch was pretty wild but the fact he was willing to put his own dough up made them throw a few quid his way ,albeit with little risk to themselves.

I guess we'll see soon enough. Things are a lot worse than Methven painted no doubt.
    I think if it was me, I'd be less inclined to put anymore money in than I was 4 weeks ago!
    ??? Where did you get that idea from ? Methven has put up less than Mouthalls quid
  • Options
    Methven interview shortly after taking over

• Options
    Fellatio and wank crew?  My Sinday's just taken a left turn!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I completely accept that it’s not a sprint but, in athletics terms, would hope it’s a 5.000 or 10,000 metres rather than a marathon. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I completely accept that it’s not a sprint but, in athletics terms, would hope it’s a 5.000 or 10,000 metres rather than a marathon. 
    Feels more like one of those back to back ultra marathon events where people choose to run over 100 miles a day for several years. Actually maybe those don't exist and it's only being a Charlton supporter that has that level of relentless grind with extremely few moments of elation. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Feels more like one of those back to back ultra marathon events where people choose to run over 100 miles a day for several years. Actually maybe those don't exist and it's only being a Charlton supporter that has that level of relentless grind with extremely few moments of elation. 
    Oh trust me they do, and taking part in any, I won't be. I won't be taking part 😉

We can't expect a quick fix with the constant instability of player churn set to continue. Our decline has been years in the making. Why would we think to reverse it can be done in the short term?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    The problem is that for years we have been running at marathon pace while everyone else has been running at 1500 metre pace.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Abankwah was no 973 to represent us. I'm guessing that the number of new players used since Curbs left is disproportionately high compared to the number used previously in our history. That  instability, caused mostly by the decisions of poor Club owners, is why we find ourselves now as a middling L1 Club imo.

One for @Henry Irving on the stats side.

Edit - same goes for the lack of managerial longevity since.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Abankwah was no 973 to represent us. I'm guessing that the number of new players used since Curbs left is disproportionately high compared to the number used previously in our history. That  instability, caused mostly by the decisions of poor Club owners, is why we find ourselves now as a middling L1 Club imo.

One for @Henry Irving on the stats side.

Edit - same goes for the lack of managerial longevity since.
    It's hard to say for sure without comparing with more stable clubs who've had fewer managers.

Constant changes in manager are, IMHO, a factor but so are bosman,  the number of subs, minor cup competitions and rotation 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I care little for statements, I care about getting points.
    Here you go ..........................................................................
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    More like a toss up between an egg and spoon or a three legged race at the moment.

• Options
    They say it's a marathon, not a sprint, yet they've also said it's imperative that we get into the championship as quickly as possible. So it is a bit of a sprint. Contradictory comments imo. 
  • Options
    777 partners, wasn't they linked with us.?? The guys buying Everton.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The "conversation" about the Valley/Sparrows Lane:

JR: Hey Roland. Would you be interested in selling the grounds to us?
    RD: No.
    JR: Okay.
  • Options
    "I also asked them about The Valley and Sparrows lane and they’re continuing to discuss with Roland about arrangements." ..... arrangements as in the details of the lease!!
  • Options
    This lot are never going to buy the ground 
    Good because we would be in exactly the same place as we are now, just with different names.
  • Options
    And righty so .. only idiots would spend 50 mill on something when they got 13 years lease at good rates still to go ……. They will buy both when the time is right 
    I don’t think you believe what you’ve written here. 
  • Options
    And righty so .. only idiots would spend 50 mill on something when they got 13 years lease at good rates still to go ……. They will buy both when the time is right 
    I don’t think you believe what you’ve written here. 

That would be a very good question put to him face to face.  I'd not know the answer.