Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• Options
    Basically a similar plan to most owners. 
  • Options
    Owners in "we'd rather not piss money up the wall if we can help it" shocker.
  • Options
    Billionaire owners ? Exciting times ahead ? Ever think you've been had ? ( Not me I never believed all the billionaire nonsense from certain parties) 
    As always I think a large chunk of supporters, me included btw, get distracted by owners wealth. Ultimately it’s irrelevant and it’s about how much they are willing to spend. Wolves owners are minted and have been taking out loans, 
    Oh sure, it's not how much they have but what they're willing to put in but all this nonsense from certain quarters about seriously wealthy owners who intend "really going for promotion" etc etc when it appears nothing of the sort is going to happen. & It's a mid table squad yet again. I am aware before anybody lectures me that the window is still open, let's see where we are on 2nd September. 
  • Options
    I get the impression we are looking to get a decent fee for Dobson and CBT. The replacements are there pretty much :(
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I get the impression we are looking to get a decent fee for Dobson and CBT. The replacements are there pretty much :(
    I hope we show ambition and keep them, but signing a replacement before having to sell a player is what well run clubs aim to do.

Is that based on anything more than Taylor and Campbell joining?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    For CBT maybe....?  But not sure Taylor can do what Dobson does..think losing Dobson would be a big mistake...
  • Options
    Player trading = Player sales 

At least they know our history and are aligning to it 😔
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Yes, we cannot and will not be able to trade this year and not lose (outside of player trading) £4m-£5m.   So that means we'll sell one decent player a season to balance the books or try to.

However, with Dobson and CBT out of contract at the end of this season, there is every chance that if we are off the pace play off wise in January that both of those will be sold in January and a star youth player will go at the end of the season.
    I’m sure the plan is to sell players. 

Just like every club. It all depends on how and when surely.  Brentford and Brighton have done very well whilst selling. Coventry made a big sale this summer and are reinvesting well.
    Maybe they get lucky. Leaburn could be worth £5M.  Anderson, Assimwe, Kanu, Casey, Mitchell, Elerwere could also be worth very decent money in the next 2 years. If signed up long enough and we maximise the value and reinvest then as painful as the sales will be it could work.
    The issue for me isn't the sales but the £1-2M number which seems about £10M too low!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    sam3110 said:
    For every season we are in League one we will piss money up the wall.

The majority of this ownership will have no interest or little say in day to day stuff.

This is all on Methven. It's his baby  and it will be down to him if it goes tits up.

• Options
    sam3110 said:

The majority of this ownership will have no interest or little say in day to day stuff.

This is all on Methven. It's his baby  and it will be down to him if it goes tits up.

But Methven doesn't have the cash to run the club etc. The ownership have the only say in fees for transfers. As the greater stakeholders and financiers they have the biggest say on how successful the club will be.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The issue isn't that they'd sell players if they get decent offers, I'm sure every club would do that in a similar situation to us. 

The issue is that they're hinging the whole 'project' on being able to sell players at huge values to run the club long-term. What happens in a year once Leaburn is gone and there's no one left that will command big 7 figures? A fire sale? 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

But Methven doesn't have the cash to run the club etc. The ownership have the only say in fees for transfers. As the greater stakeholders and financiers they have the biggest say on how successful the club will be.
    There are about 10 different investment groups are there not?
     Methven is part of that group.
    I believe an initial agreed amount was put in by each party. And Methven probably gave each group assurances about that initial amount being more than enough. 
    There is no cash tap here. Despite some investors being significantly wealthier than others. They have agreed a buy in and Methven and his pals will have to go about managing it.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Yes, we cannot and will not be able to trade this year and not lose (outside of player trading) £4m-£5m.   So that means we'll sell one decent player a season to balance the books or try to.

However, with Dobson and CBT out of contract at the end of this season, there is every chance that if we are off the pace play off wise in January that both of those will be sold in January and a star youth player will go at the end of the season.
    I’m sure the plan is to sell players. 

Just like every club. It all depends on how and when surely.  Brentford and Brighton have done very well whilst selling. Coventry made a big sale this summer and are reinvesting well.
    Maybe they get lucky. Leaburn could be worth £5M.  Anderson, Assimwe, Kanu, Casey, Mitchell, Elerwere could also be worth very decent money in the next 2 years. If signed up long enough and we maximise the value and reinvest then as painful as the sales will be it could work.
    The issue for me isn't the sales but the £1-2M number which seems about £10M too low!
    Indeed - what I mean is that the £1m-£2m figure, which is potentially feasible to offset by selling players, is laughable. Either Methven is an idiot or he is dissembling. The gap will be much bigger and the sales will need to be much bigger to cover it. You can do it in any given year but you won’t do it over time. 
  • Options
    So, Methven has communicated that operating losses can be reduced by approx £10m, if comparing to the accounts of previous years? Or have I got that wrong.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm sure Methven said in his interview with @PragueAddick that the consortium were well aware of the large yearly losses and were happy to fund them long term

Why would he put that in the public domain?
  • Options
    This don't make good reading today 
  • Options
    Welcome to football ownership chaps. As for "long term" what does that mean these days, where most people can't make it to the end of a TikTok clip.

I reckon Leaburn getting crocked put a spanner in the works early doors, that must of put a dent in the "rebuild" plans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm sure Methven said in his interview with @PragueAddick that the consortium were well aware of the large yearly losses and were happy to fund them long term

Why would he put that in the public domain?

It's a mystery to me, maybe he's just a fucking liar ?
  • Options
    “You will do that if you have any kind of competence at all”. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    You won't get decent fees in the last window before their contracts expire.
  • Options
    I'm holding judgement until after the window closes.

While I'm not optimistic we're actually going to sign anyone decent this month, it's not unreasonable to play down the amount of money we have while the window is open. Talking about managing losses, and players sales might help in player and indeed wage negotiations.
  • Options
    I cannot see us getting anywhere near 5 million quid on the players we can sell.  The biggest asset being Leaburn now has to recover from injury and replicate his goals return from last season.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Does make you question why they have been so Keen to get Anderson and Asiimwi out on the pitch.
    Don't get me wrong. They're good and the squad is thin but CAFC has made me a 98% cynic.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Here's one for you @PragueAddick

Methven
     "one of the really useful things about Brener and Friedman is not only have they run a football club together, but have been through ups and downs with that, and have tried things that didn’t work"

What club was that?
    I know about Brener and Dallas,Houston, but can't find any association of Friedman with any sporting organisations?