Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• I think Steve Sutherland will have to get his finger out as the Charlton web site still has TS as owner, although I wonder what he will change it to 😁
  • Steve Sutherland used to feature on the very enjoyable Charlton Chat - 30 odd years ago (ouch!)  It was on Radio Thamesmead (RTM) on a Sunday night.

Some episodes still available here. https://charlton.chat/podcasts
    Thanks Raith, I had no idea they were still available. I used to listen avidly back in the day so I'll have a listen back. Hopefully the one where 2 blokes rang in impersonating Gazza and John Barnes are part of this back catalogue!
  • thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Thinking about it, what no-one has really picked up on is that none of the major players have actually said anything publicly. Or even in the recent statements actually had a quote attributed to them. To this point that are just names. 

At the very least Freidman or Brener could have released a 2 minute video introducing themselves. 

Very underwhelmed. 
    I would be very happy if the Global Partners money men stayed in the background doing their financial thing.

What I do find reassuring, is that they've appointed people experienced and knowledgeable to run the day-to-day operational football side of things.
    After a decade or more of rank amateurs and shysters, we should at least recognise that the intention is to run the club in a proper and structured way.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that ...... but I don't see why we have to negatively pre-judge the newcomers, just because we're jaundiced and wounded after the Prem years.

We have to give them a bit of time and a chance to prove themselves one way or another.
    But it's the football team, performances annd results that I'm now focused on. That's surely what football is really all about?

But they haven't really appointed anyone have they ? They're just investors possibly sold a dream by charlie boy who has given his mates a pay check/cheque.
    Apart from:
    Managing Director - Jim Rodwell
    Group Finance Director - Ed Warrick
    Technical Director - TBC (Probably Andy Scott again)
    Director of Performance - TBC
    Interim Commercial Manager - Steve Sutherland
    Non Executive Director - Paul Elliott
    Non Executive Director - Gavin Carter

Only Gavin Carter of that list is an investor, and he's been given a token place on the board. 

So you think all of those people have been appointed by Friedman etc  :D
    I think you're missing the wood for the trees with this. Whether  The Consortium made the appointments directly or its Chuck M giving mates a job, either way on paper at least they have superior experience and capability in football than a lawyer (Meire), fellow crooks (ESI), or an egotistical businessman trying to micromanage (Sandgaard).

It might very well still turn out badly but there's enough there to suggest that the intentions are good/honest. I'm not suggesting a mass application of tongues to arse but maybe hold off on the torches and pitchforks routine for just a little bit longer....
    Not at all, my post was a reply to Oggy who said that he hopes the money men stay in the background but was reassured that they have appointed experienced football people. I was merely pointing out that the money men probably don't have a clue who these people are that have been appointed as the SMT & that Methven has got the band back together. Yes of course they are an improvement on what we have put up with for the last 10 years, it would be very difficult not to be an improvement. Nobody or at least not me have questioned their credentials, whether they will be good for Charlton Athletic only time will tell.
  • Not specifically about us but this episode talks about ownership models (including a bit about the Croydon Club) which given our consortium ownership, lifers might find interesting

https://open.spotify.com/episode/03yIMt38msk6GG96wbwIij?si=KtyG9wE1QNGaaV7R7ZSSeA
  • Maybe THIS time, we'll be able to see a comprehensive list of SM names with email addresses on the OS should we need to contact them or members of their teams directly rather than be moved on like Pass the Parcel.

Gavin Carter will be our single point of contact. Our 'fan on the board' will takeover the club's input to the Fan's Forum and will no doubt be holding regular zoom calls with CAST so Jim Rodwell doesn't have to go through all that Charter stuff again.
  • We will likely have very little communication directly from the new owners/investors. They aren't going to be the ones to contact about the pie selection at the valley. They are hands off and have their own personal businesses/investments to manage. As above they will appointing a shadow board to deal with comms etc and you may see them at the valley but that's as far as it will go... 
  • Sponsored links:

• What a day it's going to be.

Coffee. Custard. And these bad boys on order.

Slim fit - you gotta be joking! 🤓
    My next door neighbour Sunderland supporter said they called him ‘Salmon knickers’ up north
  • Methven now on BBC London at later time of 1930
  • Are we fucking rich then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    For a guy with a small stake who was kept out of the limelight during the latter half of negotiations, Charlie Methven sure does seem to be front and center these days...
  • Scoham said:
    Is he smuggling something into the ground under that beanie hat ?
    Yes, his massive fucking tefal head
  • seth plum said:
    I listened to that interview and for the most part I can't argue with it, he may have been prone to exaggeration and a rather smooth talker, but nothing jumped out at me as objectionable.
    For me the main thing that he repeatedly said (the stadium issue notwithstanding) is essentially the proof of the pudding is in success as a football team, and I agree with that.
    So for me we must do everything possible to win against Leyton Orient, and continue to acquire a lot of wins and points from there. Mr Methven and I would agree that would be a compelling measure of success.
    Make it happen.
    @seth your post is the most surprising post I have ever read on here ! I would have put a lot of money on you not agreeing with a single word he said fair play mate.
    all I need is @golfie to spring up and say that the signing of the Blackburn lad is brilliant and we are now set for a great season and my world is complete
  • Just listened to the interview. 

I note Methven says they've provided Holden with access to a professional data analytics company.  Does this now render the  infamous 'Black Box' obsolete?  If so could it perhaps be gifted to Martin Sandgaard for him to prolong his career?  

'Have black box, can travel - contact Martin' 
  • SDAddick said:
    Croydon said:
    For a guy with a small stake who was kept out of the limelight during the latter half of negotiations, Charlie Methven sure does seem to be front and center these days...
    He not .. and won’t be 

he got the group together and he says himself he will not be involved in day to day running that’s down Rodwell like we already knew . 

• Sign of things to come?

• AndyG said:
    seth plum said:
    I listened to that interview and for the most part I can't argue with it, he may have been prone to exaggeration and a rather smooth talker, but nothing jumped out at me as objectionable.
    For me the main thing that he repeatedly said (the stadium issue notwithstanding) is essentially the proof of the pudding is in success as a football team, and I agree with that.
    So for me we must do everything possible to win against Leyton Orient, and continue to acquire a lot of wins and points from there. Mr Methven and I would agree that would be a compelling measure of success.
    Make it happen.
    @seth your post is the most surprising post I have ever read on here ! I would have put a lot of money on you not agreeing with a single word he said fair play mate.
    all I need is @golfie to spring up and say that the signing of the Blackburn lad is brilliant and we are now set for a great season and my world is complete
    Let’s be honest,Seth and Golfie r Craig revel halwood and Roy Keane - airman is Simon Cowell and he was willing to concede he may be pleasantly surprised - never seen a statement so positive from him