Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    It concerns me that Methvan is giving all these media interviews when the club have a SMT 
    He gave one interview, which has been cut up into chunks. It's not like every day this week he has sat down with them and has a chat. 

Andy Scott is literally only just through the door and now has an interview up on the club website.

I'd rather Rodwell and Warrick get on with their jobs and leave the fluff pieces to PR Extraordinaire Methven anyway 
    Methven the fluffer…is that a part time job or just a hobby 🤓
  • Options

Methven the fluffer…is that a part time job or just a hobby 🤓
    🍔 boy will be f****** livid 😉
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It concerns me that Methvan is giving all these media interviews when the club have a SMT 
    He gave one interview, which has been cut up into chunks. It's not like every day this week he has sat down with them and has a chat. 

Andy Scott is literally only just through the door and now has an interview up on the club website.

I'd rather Rodwell and Warrick get on with their jobs and leave the fluff pieces to PR Extraordinaire Methven anyway 
    it still concerns me he is only a minor share holder with a questionable past
  • Options
    Steve Sutherland used to feature on the very enjoyable Charlton Chat - 30 odd years ago (ouch!)  It was on Radio Thamesmead (RTM) on a Sunday night.

Some episodes still available here. https://charlton.chat/podcasts
    Sorry to highjack this thread but those old podcasts of Charlie Wright are just great on this radio station .
    Enjoyable hour of Charlton.
  • Options
    Something that’s been bugging me for sometime but I noticed Charlie Methven has been vocal with the BBC and South London Paper etc but not through the clubs official channels.

Surely he or Ed should communicate through the club’s official channels with a interview or something?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Something that’s been bugging me for sometime but I noticed Charlie Methven has been vocal with the BBC and South London Paper etc but not through the clubs official channels.

Surely he or Ed should communicate through the club’s official channels with a interview or something?
    He’s a PR man and journalist and part of his remit will be to raise the clubs media profile. He won’t be able to do that without talking to as many sports and news outlets as possible.,
    Furthermore, directly communicating via the official site could undermine the carefully crafted narrative that Methven (along with the other owners) is leaving matters to the professional SMT.

I suspect any non-routine announcements on the official site will be framed as coming from Rodwell, no doubt after checking the PR aspect with Methven.
  • Options
    You just wait till the cringe fly on the wall documentary...
  • Options
    You just wait till the cringe fly on the wall documentary...

Particularly if his horse racing mate is leading the cast.
  • Options
    Anyone spotted in the directors box yesterday?

The rumour was the new owners were going to be at the game.

Also that a couple of premier league era directors were having lunch with Methven.
  • Options
    I’ve never heard of them but they look pretty solid. We mignt find they did a good job for us by persuading him not to be such a pillock at crucial junctures.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Also that a couple of premier league era directors were having lunch with Methven.
    Not sure who was and wasn’t there, but I did appreciate that the new owners didn’t make a massive song and dance out of things. They let the team do the talking instead of trying to make it about the new ownership. After the egomania of the last few years I thought that was quite a nice change. 
    I like that too. The football and the results are what need to do the talking, not them coming out blasting a tune on their guitars.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob Whitehand was there.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Not sure who was and wasn’t there, but I did appreciate that the new owners didn’t make a massive song and dance out of things. They let the team do the talking instead of trying to make it about the new ownership. After the egomania of the last few years I thought that was quite a nice change. 
    Very little in the programme/handbook about them either.
  • Options
    I did not realise Tony Davison has been taken on, although am not surprised given his history with Methven.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I’ve never heard of them but they look pretty solid. We mignt find they did a good job for us by persuading him not to be such a pillock at crucial junctures.
    Good firm and they were one of my clients in my last few years on the Barclays Professional Services Team. The lad that looks after their client accounts, Joe, is quite a high profile blogger on all things Arsenal and a cousin of Johnnie Jackson.  

Not a top tier UK firm (i.e. not magic or silver circle) but great reputation for sport and personal legal services. And yes, they would have been reassuringly expensive 😉

Edit: this is a piece that Joe did for Charlton Live on JJ…I like to think that my own comments on John, as we talked about Charlton at every work meeting, were part of Joe’s view on us and what we thought of his cousin. 

https://www.charltonlive.co.uk/2018/04/28/johnnie-jacksons-cousin-joe-mardon-pays-tribute-to-jacko/
  • Options
    I did not realise Tony Davison has been taken on, although am not surprised given his history with Methven.
    As far as official announcements are concerned, he hasn't; just been seen with Methven at Gillingham & now at The Valley. 
    Steve Sutherland is the Interim Commercial Manager. https://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic  

However, my guess is that Sutherland is simply filling the gap at Charlton until Davison completes whatever his current contract is.  

Maybe someone ITK has more reliable information that my guesswork?
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    As far as official announcements are concerned, he hasn't; just been seen with Methven at Gillingham & now at The Valley. 
    Steve Sutherland is the Interim Commercial Manager. https://www.charltonafc.com/news/global-football-partners-purchase-charlton-athletic  

However, my guess is that Sutherland is simply filling the gap at Charlton until Davison completes whatever his current contract is.  

i can see where the confusion has arisen - i believe Jim Davidson is going to be the commercial manager - that or performance manager
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    N01R4M said:

i can see where the confusion has arisen - i believe Jim Davidson is going to be the commercial manager - that or performance manager
    He's given up comedy?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    N01R4M said:

He's given up comedy?
    no, he's still doing that - he was initially offered the HR role by the club but this developed onto a commercial manager /  finance director / performance manager role which he will do in his spare time   :)
  • Options
    Paul Elliott and Steve Gritt were also in the box on Saturday.