Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    Don't see him being moved on personally, think he's more looking at other options and systems as he know what Alfie can bring but others are up for judgement, similar to how Hector and Thomas have been trotted out to be under the microscope in games where Reg has had a month off basically

• Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/nathan-jones-praises-alfie-may-after-charlton-striker-grabs-league-one-golden-boot/

Seems a somewhat disappointing mealy mouthed "praise" from Jones in this article.  Our seasons been shite but Alfie seems a very likeable guy and top scorer is a great personal achievement.
  • Options
    No idea if there's substance to it or if it's just a wild rumour but we'd be crazy to sell him. In 2 pretty shit teams his league one goal totals in the last 3 seasons are:

Surely any team in the division would want a striker with those numbers?
    Perhaps the £250k we could get, is the total new player budget for next year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Jones has impressive cahones but it would be a brave man indeed to sell a very popular and Golden Boot winner. I think Jones is a big fan of physicality and wants strikers in that mould but it would be a hard sell to us fans getting rid of Alfie and should next season not go as we all hope, then the sale of May could really blow up in Jones face to the point of no return. I think he’ll stay.
  • Options
    Jones use of Alfie yesterday does not make sense. Alfie is short in stature being marked by a tall defender with our players mainly using high ball attacks. Alfie is most effective when the ball is played to feet so Jones takes Alfie off and puts on 2 wingers who should supply balls to feet, OK one of them is past his sell by date but TC did provide chances that Alfie could have turned into a goal or two.

Sorry I just don't understand Jones's tactics perhaps someone can explain as to me Jones seems to be a "play my way or don't play" type of manager.
  • Options
    Jones use of Alfie yesterday does not make sense. Alfie is short in stature being marked by a tall defender with our players mainly using high ball attacks. Alfie is most effective when the ball is played to feet so Jones takes Alfie off and puts on 2 wingers who should supply balls to feet, OK one of them is past his sell by date but TC did provide chances that Alfie could have turned into a goal or two.

Sorry I just don't understand Jones's tactics perhaps someone can explain as to me Jones seems to be a "play my way or don't play" type of manager.
    I think jones was looking at the bigger picture yesterday. He knows what may can do but wanted to look at others. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    He’ll be sold in my opinion. It’s never really looked like NJ has rated him. 

Personally he won’t have my support next season if he offloads our best player just so he can get his chums from Luton back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I originally thought that his early substitutions might have been linked to the fee we would have had to pay Cheltenham, had he finished top scorer in L1.

Alfie has won the L1 golden boot, scoring 23 league goals in a pretty poor team. I'm sure this has not gone unnoticed by other clubs wanting a season of (near-on) guaranteed goals. 

Fully aware he's settled in Kent, but I just wonder if some clubs have shown some interest and asked about his availability. 

• Options
    Jones prefers bigger strikers, but surely there is still a place for Alfie in our squad next season? Would be mad to get rid of him 

Even if Jones starts Leaburn and a new big striker as his first choice, there can’t be many better players to have in reserve than the golden boot winner. We need 4 strikers (plus Aneke as 5th) so I’d be shocked if Jones doesn’t rate May enough to be one of them
  • Options
    Oh god, it's already started
  • Options
    People already making premature excuses for bad decisions that the club might make in the summer. 

Funny stuff. 
  • Options
    edited April 28
    NabySarr said:
    Jones prefers bigger strikers
    Does he? - Looking at his previous Luton sides, he's opted for a May / Wickham style line up
  • Options
    I'd expect other strikers in the door but still think we're looking at a May and Leaburn strike partnership as first choice. 
  • Options
    Brown mentioned post-match that he hopes he is wrong but has a feeling Jones will possibly move May on this summer. 
    Did he say if it was based on anything?
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Jones prefers bigger strikers
    Does he? - Looking at his previous Luton sides, he's opted for a May / Wickham style line up
    Luton in the championship had Morris and Adebayo. In league 1 they had James Collins and Danny Hylton

They are all strikers that can do a bit of everything. Strong enough that they can hold the ball up but also mobile enough to run the channels. I think Jones is going to love Leaburn as he is in that mould, so I really hope we can keep him and get him on a new contract