Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    lolwray said:
    I heard via Alfies non league connections that Jones doesn't rate AM 
    Then he is a clueless twat!
  • Options
    What seems reasonable is that May is a player Jones didn't really need to see much of when there was nothing to play for. Yes, it put him finishing top scorer under threat but that wasn't a priority for Jones I'm sure. I can't see any way we sell him. I can't see a Championship club taking a punt due to his age and League One clubs won't have the budget.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    I heard via Alfies non league connections that Jones doesn't rate AM 
    Funnily enough have heard the same through a mate of a mate who knows Alfie May. Apparently he's off to Watford. Mental if that's the case! 
  • Options
    Maybe Alfie likes table tennis?
  • Options
    May tried to talk to Jones about this but the fruit loop didn’t want to know soon after his arrival 

I mean if he doesn’t rate May he must want to cull the lot of em 
    I’ll be honest so do I 
  • Options
    'kin hell

The fella rang me up to try and sell me a season ticket!
    Buddy fell for it as well when he told me how great next seasons gonna be!
    Snake didn't mention it was going to be for Watford!
  • Options
    Respect from an evening supporter
  • Options
    I sit directly behind NJ’s body line (not that he remains static like a cardboard cut out 🤣 quite the fookin’ contrary) at home games. I think I have previously mentioned that while most players take NJ’s instructions, criticisms and directions on the chin, TT regularly made apologetic gestures, Dobbo and Alfie did on a number of occasions give a WTF facial expression. NJ would sometimes turn to the other coaches and have a few words, other times appeared to take the body language fine. Anyhow, could be the case that there is a bit more tension as a result of the perceived petulance than there is with other players? Or there is nothing in it and I should be focusing more on the game… 

Facial example attached! 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems May is a little unsettled, I wouldn't be surprised if he does go this summer... Jones rates him, but doesn't particular fit the style of play he wants to bring... And not sure he would be an automatic starter... 
    They are not looking to sell him, but if they were to get a bid 650K north, don't be surprised if he goes!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Seems May is a little unsettled, I wouldn't be surprised if he does go this summer... Jones rates him, but doesn't particular fit the style of play he wants to bring... And not sure he would be an automatic starter... 
    They are not looking to sell him, but if they were to get a bid 650K north, don't be surprised if he goes!
    I know he’s favoured more physical strikers in the past, but if we do play direct I think that can get the best out of May. Pair him with a big target, let him play on the last defender and run in behind/run the channels and be a nuisance. 

I just can’t see how you can look at what he did last season and not think, let’s build around him 
    I’m playing devils advocate a little here*, as I wouldn’t want to get rid of May at all. I actually feel like he is a little underrated - people rightly look at his goals and work rate, but technically I think is exceptional for this level as well. 

However what has been the profile of striker of teams who have been promoted in recent years been? Perhaps having a striker who can score 20+ goals a season, is to the detriment of shipping an extra 30+ because we cannot ‘defend from the front’ as well.

Maybe Jones is not just looking for total goal contributions but a frontline that can also bully a defensive unit and keep us on the ‘front foot’ more (a line he uses often).

*remember this is just me musing before you get all defensive. 
    Something Miles was getting good at before the first injury last season. 
  • Options
    I sit directly behind NJ’s body line (not that he remains static like a cardboard cut out 🤣 quite the fookin’ contrary) at home games. I think I have previously mentioned that while most players take NJ’s instructions, criticisms and directions on the chin, TT regularly made apologetic gestures, Dobbo and Alfie did on a number of occasions give a WTF facial expression. NJ would sometimes turn to the other coaches and have a few words, other times appeared to take the body language fine. Anyhow, could be the case that there is a bit more tension as a result of the perceived petulance than there is with other players? Or there is nothing in it and I should be focusing more on the game… 

Find this quite interesting. NJ is clearly someone who aims for a team greater than the sum of any individual within it and builds around systems rather than players. If he feels like a player isn't doing what the system requires (eg wandering inside after being told to hug the touchline to create space somewhere else) I can see how that might lead to some professional disagreement, especially with a player like May who thrives on instinct. 

Recall a post someone shared from a Luton fan on (I think) Soton's forum when NJ first joined them - one thing I remember from it was them saying he made some transfer calls that seemed weird early on but that no one could disagree with a few years later. I wouldn't rule anything out this summer. 

Standard 'I love Alfie too' caveat on the above..!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I know he’s favoured more physical strikers in the past, but if we do play direct I think that can get the best out of May. Pair him with a big target, let him play on the last defender and run in behind/run the channels and be a nuisance. 

I just can’t see how you can look at what he did last season and not think, let’s build around him 
    I think it's more that May is worried he won't get as much playing time. He wants to be the main man.. 

Personally I would be disappointed.. And I don't like the fact we are going to more direct football.
  • Options
    We have a manager that I now trust to get things right and if he decides that May isn't the answer, I will be okay with that.  On the other hand 27 goals!!!!!!!!!!! What is there not to like

May - 27
    All other forwards (excluding wingers) - 15?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I think it's more that May is worried he won't get as much playing time. He wants to be the main man.. 

Personally I would be disappointed.. And I don't like the fact we are going to more direct football.
    Depends what you mean by direct football.

Powell’s title winning team could be direct but it wasn’t pure hoofball.

Bowyer’s playoff winning side played more attractive football than Powell’s did but they could still be direct. It wasn’t the full on tippy happy football we saw under Garner, but that was only good to watch when we were winning.

Curbs teams weren’t full on possession or route one either.

I think one big positive about Jones is he’ll aim for a balance like those three managers did. It’s easier to adapt game by game with a team like that rather than having a set philosophy where you play one style regardless of the opponent and situation - that also requires very specific recruitment as the more extreme styles fall apart when you don’t have the right players.

That along with good recruitment in terms of ability and character would put us in a much better place.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Last week I told Alfie he wasn't allowed to go anywhere and he said he doesn't want to.

But you have to bear in mind his next contract, wherever it may be, is likely to be his last decent one and his stock is as high now as it has ever been.  So if a crazy offer came in then it would actually make sense for all parties.  Not a nice thought but it's the reality of the situation.

He's away on hols now (though popping home briefly tonight)  so I'm unlikely to be able to ask him if anything is going on - though realistically he's not going to admit to anything. 

Rest assured if I see him I'll politely enquire
    This is it, 31 in the summer if he did get a big offer I wouldn't blame him 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I honestly don't care what style of football we play anymore, just win some bloody games. Worrying about style seems like a luxury at this point. 
    Totally agree. If we're ever comfortably in mid table in the Championship again, with no realistic hopes of promotion, then we can worry about how pretty the football is. As long as we are stuck in League 1 most spectacles will be ruined by the pitch, the referee, or the clogging opposition turning it into a scrap, or some combination of those factors so let's just do whatever it takes to get out of this shit hole league.

No one plays true hoofball these days, anyway. The days of the crazy gang or John Beck's Cambridge are long gone and I don't expect NJ will be trying to bring that kind of stuff back. We do and have lacked physicality and aggression in recent years though as too many managers have cared too much about style and not enough about winning. 
  • Options
    edited May 8
    I find it a concern that a football manager is allegedly unable to work with a golden boot striker because he does not fit into the manager's system.
    I trust Jones' decision. Apparently he got rid of a few fan favourites at Luton in his first summer and they were a bit miffed. They then went on to get promoted... I think Jones sees Alfie as a player for certain games/an impact player rather than a guaranteed starter. Think Alfie is the sort of person that would use this as motivation to prove him wrong though.
  • Options
    Curbs said on Charlton TV weeks and weeks ago that May was going to give Jones a bit of a headache moving forward.
    Seems crazy to be even talking about it when the fella finishes top of the scoring pops.

But part of me thinks in accomodating Alfie to reach that milestone did we sacrifice other parts of the pitch too much??

Jones will have to live and die by any decision, but I think shifting him on really won't go down well. He'll be putting pressure on himself early doors
  • Options
    I am 100% in the "he should stay" camp but May moving on would be a gigantic statement by Jones and would put immense pressure on both him and whoever has to step into May's role as main striker.

For me May has enough to him that even if Jones doesn't see him as main forward material he should still be kept as a very useful plan B.