Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Liverpool (on behalf of Ukraine)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Feels a bit of a joke seeing she's won Eurovision twice with Sweden now. We may as well enter Bucks Fizz next year 
  • Options
    The most mediocre song to win in a long time, I have no idea who or what makes up the Jury and their votes, but the public voted hugely in favour of Finland, who are the people's champion, and my champion
  • Options
    Wow... I didnt think there were enough points left for Sweden to bridge the gap to Finland
    I thought when Graham Norton looked uncomfortable about the crowd chanting for Finland that he must know Sweden had won it.
  • Options
    Sweden hosting it exactly 50 years after ABBA winning it because of this win?! 

Fucking fix
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Think we should pull away from the rest of them and start our own competition. 
    like some kind of Eurovexit?

England, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, the isle of man, isle of sheppy, isle of wite 
    (not Ireland coz they always win)
    i'm in
  • Options
    Yes Finland had a stronger claim. 
  • Options
    Just shaded out of it again. Such fine margins.
  • Options
    I might be wrong but I think all the Scandinavian countries gave 12 points to other Scandi countries...
  • Options
    The Ukrainian presenter is evn more wooden than Chris Powell on Ted lasso!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    STOP BLOODY FILLING GRAHAM!
    It's the curse of the Irish, we love a chat...
  • Options
    The most interesting thing about her is the salamander grill she sings inside of
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Will someone please cut that lady from Sweden’s nails, it’s winding me right up!!
  • Options
    Liverpool is "the loveliest friendliest city", apparently, according to Mel.

Wait til she gets outside and finds her motor up on bricks with no wheels.
  • Options
     How the fuck we have less points than Spain?! 
  • Options
    I do have to say, though, the Liverpool and the BBC (staging the event) has done really well, I might not always love the commentary, but the show was a spectacle.

I do think there are UK artists with an international following that should give Eurovision a go, with the right kind of catchy tune.
    I agree, but they’ve got successful careers already, that they probably don’t want to jeopardise.
  • Options
    Bullshit
  • Options
    Funny how Sweden will host in 2024, exactly 50 years since ABBA  won it. 
    I wonder what the overall theme of the show will be?
    The bookies were 4/6 Sweden before any votes were cast. What a waste of money this “contest” is. 
  • Options
    I do have to say, though, the Liverpool and the BBC (staging the event) has done really well, I might not always love the commentary, but the show was a spectacle.

I do think there are UK artists with an international following that should give Eurovision a go, with the right kind of catchy tune.
    I agree, but they’ve got successful careers already, that they probably don’t want to jeopardise.
    I do think that's where the UK gets it wrong a bit.

Even if they don't win, it's memorable and decent song, how well are songs like Cliff Richrds' Congratulations remembered?

I don't have a particular artist or group in mind, but, even some of those involved in greatest hits tours must have a song or two that they think would work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Edit.  I may be slightly pissed, after the voting drinking game.
    Yeah it's done wonders for Sam Ryder - suspect a lot of popular signers on TikTok etc who haven't quite gone mainstream would fancy it, like he did.
  • Options
    The scoring system is a nonsense. Why spend an hour faffing about with jury votes only for the public votes to turn the whole thing in its head? What even is the point of the jury vote?
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Honestly, it's very clear that the people of Europe have very little time for the UK, Germany and France. There have been UK entries with huge international followings that have barely faired better. 

It just comes across like a big fuck you from Europe every time. 

I said earlier, I hoped that maybe there would be some good will considering we basically won it last year, and we offered to host on Ukraines behalf - not a chance. must have been bottom of the public vote. Not liked or respected in europe this competition is about sticking it to "the man" as far as they are concerned. 
  • Options
    BBC 2 now for the last British winner. No sympathy vote.

• Options

Honestly, it's very clear that the people of Europe have very little time for the UK, Germany and France. There have been UK entries with huge international followings that have barely faired better. 

Apart from last year of course, when it was a good song and a likeable guy?
    last year when it was won by the best song that everyone loved.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    The most shocking thing about tonight for me wasn’t Croatia or Germany, but Greece only giving Cyprus 4 points.

That really shocked me too! I know the Cypriot entry was an Aussie but Greece always give 12 to Cyprus
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The scoring system is a nonsense. Why spend an hour faffing about with jury votes only for the public votes to turn the whole thing in its head? What even is the point of the jury vote?
    It's a weird way of announcing it. All the build up for the jury vote (which goes on for ever as the announcer exploits their 15 minutes of fame), only to then rattle through the public vote.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    STOP BLOODY FILLING GRAHAM!
    Who did that to Graham live on air, wish I'd watched it now.
  • Options

I said earlier, I hoped that maybe there would be some good will considering we basically won it last year, and we offered to host on Ukraines behalf - not a chance. must have been bottom of the public vote. Not liked or respected in europe this competition is about sticking it to "the man" as far as they are concerned. 
    There may be some resentment to the bigger countries who pay for it.  

Italy 4th           (He apparently is a continental superstar, his songs sell in millions)
    France 16th
    Spain 17th
    UK 2nd last
    Germany last

No such thing as a free pass in Eurovision.  :)