Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Liverpool (on behalf of Ukraine)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Only saw 75% of the first semi final. Sweden was probably the worst one on there. 

Pleased that my musical taste is still spot on...  :D
  • Options
    Thank gawds thats all over, completely overhyped!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I do have to say, though, the Liverpool and the BBC (staging the event) has done really well, I might not always love the commentary, but the show was a spectacle.

I do think there are UK artists with an international following that should give Eurovision a go, with the right kind of catchy tune.

Edit.  I may be slightly pissed, after the voting drinking game.
    Honestly, it's very clear that the people of Europe have very little time for the UK, Germany and France. There have been UK entries with huge international followings that have barely faired better. 

It just comes across like a big fuck you from Europe every time. 

I said earlier, I hoped that maybe there would be some good will considering we basically won it last year, and we offered to host on Ukraines behalf - not a chance. must have been bottom of the public vote. Not liked or respected in europe this competition is about sticking it to "the man" as far as they are concerned. 
    There may be some resentment to the bigger countries who pay for it.  

Italy 4th           (He apparently is a continental superstar, his songs sell in millions)
    France 16th
    Spain 17th
    UK 2nd last
    Germany last

No such thing as a free pass in Eurovision.  :)

perhaps if we stopped paying for it.... I have no problem with us being in the qualifiers.

It's a bit like going out to dinner with people, they spend the whole time making a fucking racket, eat all the breadsticks, smash up the jukebox then fuck off and leave you hanging with the bill with barely a word.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    As soon as it was announced back in February that Loreen was going to attempt to come back and win again it felt like a foregone conclusion. Tattoo isn't as good as her previous winner Euphoria, but it's the type of song the juries absolutely lap up every year.

Germany have got to question why they bother? Last for the past 2 years and I didn't even think they were that bad last night? Maybe lost a lot of votes to Australia and Finland? 
  • Options
    I only watched a small part of the contest after Match of the Day finished, and thought the Swedish winner was dull. Our song wasn't well sung, but is quite catchy. One listen and I've got the hook stuck in my head. 
  • Options
    Watched back this AM (fast forwarding any fuller) as was out last night. Result was fair enough. Our song should have done better but thought the performance was underwhelming and whoever produced the choreography needs to rethink their career - boring as hell. Frustrating, but as I said, fair play to Sweden and my highlight was the French entrant’s middle finger to the public voters when they only received +9 votes (or thereabouts) 🤣
  • Options
    Well I finally got to see my favourite Daði Freyr perform on the Eurovision stage. But that song was the last one I expected him to cover. Hilarious.
    Great production, not so great winner.
    Heh hoh!
  • Options
    The morning after the night before but still can't get my head around Spain getting so many votes! Some religious cult type shit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bookies were spot on this year. That Swedish song has properly saturated the European radio in the last few months. Whereas last night was the first time I heard UK entry. Shows what a bit of publicity can do. Tbf we probably spent our budget for the next decade on yesterday's show so we probably don't want to win it.... Again... 
  • Options
    When I was younger, my mum told me to do Eurovision 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Or you'll never pass your exams?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The majority on CL are I believe, white males, Middle aged or seniors and Straight. so no surprise that it doesn't appeal to the majority. Eurovision is visual art and various singing abilities, mainly nonsense but with the odd decent performance that many people enjoy in a crappy old world of trolls, critics and prejudices.

Its a smorgasbord of the good the bad and the ugly, and thanks to Mel Giedroyc for doing the reinactment on the milking stall. Other than seeing the young Agnetha Fältskog after being crowbarred into her sparkly trousers you can't beat a milkmaid with dexterous hands.
  • Options
    Articles like this are daft:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65586989

It was an average song and she didn't sing very well.  Not complicated.

I get there's a political aspect, and loads of Swedes living in Finland, Finns living in Sweden etc who can then vote for their own country, but that wasn't a song many people would have put in their top 10 songs, simple as that.
  • Options
    By far the best singing talent on show all night was Sam Ryder. He definitely would've won last year if not for the tyrant Putin which meant there were sympathy votes for Ukraine.
  • Options
    The majority on CL are I believe, white males, Middle aged or seniors and Straight. so no surprise that it doesn't appeal to the majority. Eurovision is visual art and various singing abilities, mainly nonsense that many people enjoy in a crappy old world of trolls, critics and prejudices.

Its a smorgasbord of the good the bad and the ugly, and thanks to Mel Giedroyc for doing the reinactment on the milking stall. Other than seeing the young Agnetha Fältskog after being crowbarred into her sparkly trousers you can't beat a milkmaid with dexterous hands.
    I had no idea what this was about but I found it most, ahem, intriguing. See her in a whole new light.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Quite a double act.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    The majority on CL are I believe, white males, Middle aged or seniors and Straight. so no surprise that it doesn't appeal to the majority. Eurovision is visual art and various singing abilities, mainly nonsense that many people enjoy in a crappy old world of trolls, critics and prejudices.

I had no idea what this was about but I found it most, ahem, intriguing. See her in a whole new light.
    I thought she was great covering Graham whilst he was on stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Liverpool songbook? In this type of show I wasn’t expecting Echo and the Bunnymen but Atomic Kitten and Sonia but not the Real Thing?
  • Options
    The Liverpool songbook? In this type of show I wasn’t expecting Echo and the Bunnymen but Atomic Kitten and Sonia but not the Real Thing?
    I was really hoping Daði was going to cover ‘You to me are everything’ that would have blown my mind!!! 💚
  • Options
    Well I finally got to see my favourite Daði Freyr perform on the Eurovision stage. But that song was the last one I expected him to cover. Hilarious.
    Great production, not so great winner.
    Heh hoh!
    Yep, that was entertainingly incongruous, and I enjoyed the Israeli chicken woman (whose name escapes me) covering You Spin Me Round. It's a shame the opening Imagine cover was so insipid and verging off-key at points.
  • Options
    Yeah getting Mahmood to cover Imagine was a bit odd , and Cornellia the Swedish representative from last year doing Mel C didn't really fit either 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    That's the joke. Thank you.