Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 15th April 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Options
    Highlight of my day trip to Ipswich was free electric car charging in car park near the ground and a Wagamamas. Awful performance, the players should be docked wages. It’s really difficult trying to convince a young children to go and watch a team performing that badly and being stuck in 3rd division for the entirety of their lives. When will it get better? 
  • Options
    I like Holden but think he is weak as an in game manager, but I think he is capable of getting players to punch their weight. I am not sure he can get the team to punch above it's weight, so essentially we need better players.
  • Options
    Season ticket decision made. Someone mentioned Dobson and questioned how Costa could be a legend. Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    masicat said:
    Season ticket decision made. Someone mentioned Dobson and questioned how Costa could be a legend. Dear oh dear.
    You're basing the final decision on this game? 
  • Options
    Worst result in the third tier ever - matching 6-0 defeat at Southampton in 1921.

Says it all really. This was so bad, I think after all the shit we have put up with recently, we forget how bad today was. 6-0 in the league one for ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sometimes it just happens. A game comes along where it all goes wrong. There are examples of it happening this season in all divisions.
    When you’re two down in fifteen minutes against the best team in the league then, yes, rightly or wrongly, heads will drop. It becomes a mammoth ask to get anything from the game.
    The post-mortem will highlight individual performances and Hector in particular has come in for some criticism today. Let’s not gloss over the fact that many on here have been praising him since signing and suggesting he is capable of playing a higher level. One poor performance doesn’t change that. Same for AMB.
    We have been outclassed today but there is some comfort in that it was by a team on top of their game with a squad that is superior in every department. Ladapo, for example had 17 goals before today and was on the bench. 
    As a fan base we know we’re in trouble. Off the pitch we are a mess and I genuinely fear for our status at the moment. The only joy we can hope for is on the pitch and when it goes like it did today the future looks even more bleak. 
    A positive is Holden. He may have got it wrong today but hindsight is a wonderful thing and he could have parked the bus and we still may have been tonked. But he is certainly in credit and I have faith that he will deal with today’s setback.
    On the playing front Leaburn, AMB, Ness, Mitchell, Dobson, Campbell and hopefully Kanu. We desperately need some quality, experienced players in who give a damn. I’m still hopeful that McGrandles could prove to be a decent player. 
    Fraser is hit and miss but when on form is a capable performer. 
    League 1 is what it is. A collection of pretty average squads who are all capable of producing something at both ends of the performance spectrum. 
    Today, we were outclassed, outthought and outplayed. It happens.
    Congrats on a very measured & sensible post, sjh. I wish I could be as level headed after that abject performance but I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve & my overwhelming emotion at the final whistle was one of anger. I always clap the players when they come over to the away end but today, petulance reduced me to standing, watching them, arms folded, thinking "What am I doing here ?"

Sometimes I've mentioned the word pantomime after witnessing a kamikaze performance from our hapless lads ....today there were 11 Ugly Sisters out on the pitch, with comedic antics at time as though playing for laughs. Tripping over their own feet was a regular feature - something I found quite unsettling as though a few pints had been consumed on the coach as it sped its way up the A12. However, there was no need to shout " Behind you!" as it was all too evident that the boys in blue were MUCH closer than that 99% of the time....

But to refer to sjh's post once again, it is a fair summary of where we are at this moment in time. We are in trouble, for me there's no doubt. IF we bounce back & finish this season on a relative high, then maybe optimism will return and it was a game when " it just happened". 

But whether our current American gives it another shot if he fails to achieve his asking price, or whether the prospective purchaser who also hails from across the Pond decides to try his luck, I'm not filled with overwhelming optimism. Maybe I'm feeling unfairly critical of American owners - Todd Boehly has mega wealth but what does he know about English football clubs, as the Chelsea faithful are rumoured to be muttering. We're more likely to have an owner who is neither mega rich or knowledgeable as far as the Beautiful game is concerned. And with a significant overhaul of the current squad seemingly required, where does that leave our famous football club ? Season after season in L1 ? 

So, forgive me if I'm lacking in the belief that our fortunes will change any time soon. There is a mountain to climb, and my old legs are unlikely to be up to it. But we won't be removing our support in this hour of need, even though the prospect of a visit to Milton Keynes on Tuesday evening is far from enticing at this moment in time.

Maybe all I need is a bottle of Lidl's finest & a good night's sleep to restore my faith.
    Only few weeks ago we were winning 6-0 and the same players were the best we seen in Charlton shirt … it’s called football 
    you get freak results we have seen it time and time again we been involved in them many times .. 
    we lost but how you look at it 2 loses in 8 … defence has been fantastic , Hector don’t become a bad player because of today , we had to keep it tight all credit to Ipswich got two goals and game over .. but credit to Charlton because from 14 min to 70 min we were in it . Pen ? Yes on Saki but this ref after Ipswich hand picked him was never going to give us anything today .

We were absolutely hammered today, men against boys.....in League 1
  • Options
    So to give a new owner what you need to spend to get a squad like Ipswiches.
    Up to 30 of June 2022 they spent £3.6 million on new players, and Sold players for £2.6 million.
    Since 30 of June 2022 they have spent a further £6 million on players according to Kieran Maguire,
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    So to give a new owner what you need to spend to get a squad like Ipswiches.
    Up to 30 of June 2022 they spent £3.6 million on new players, and Sold players for £2.6 million.
    Since 30 of June 2022 they have spent a further £6 million on players according to Kieran Maguire,
    And do not forget their wage bill, Fraser was just one of their highest paid players
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Ipswich are quality. They could easily go straight up again next season if they do they expected & get promoted from L1 this year.

I’d say they are already better than the likes of Millwall, Luton & Blackburn etc in the Championship top 6.
    I think if we played any of them 3 from the championship we would get absolutely smashed if we played  like we did today Ipswich are a good side but we made them look loads better then they are 

• Options
    How did we play? 
    Ipswich sat behind the ball, Ipswich countered six times, shot six times, scored six times.

We had many goal mouth scrambles.

Football is cruel sometimes😒
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    45 lifers predicted us to lose today. The squad simply isn't good enough. We were never going to run a team close that's top of the league, at home, and needs the points. It was depressing, but we know no more now than we did before... there are too many sub-standard players in the squad, not enough who will stand up and be counted. I'm not blaming Holden for today as it's hard to see what else he could do with that lot. But unless we have a major squad overhaul we'll have another season of this. Incredible that we're not challenging the top teams since we improved our squad so much after last year's debacle by spending... err... nothing. 

As for the 2 lifers who predicted us not to lose... full marks for optimism...
    I'm slightly blaming Holden.
    Against Brighton we set up differently. No high press, fill the spaces, played on the break. Wasn't Anthony Hayes's tactics?
    Much better performance. We had a plan and it worked. We play the same way every week, no matter who we're playing. That's not good enough (clearly).
  • Options
    Going to Milton Keynes on Tuesday. Not too excited about it after that but maybe we will see a reaction.
    I’m going too but do you really expect that? This squad hasn’t got any bollocks and, after today, I wouldn’t care if we ditch the lot at the the end of the season…
  • Options
    Shambolic performance. Nobody had an above average game, all were well below average, some like Egbo, Hector, Fraser... shameful. 

Hope Holden tore them all a new one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Best thing to happen losing 6-0, now the new owners know what a bad squad we have
    Yep  they'll bring in loans from League 2.
  • Options
    Sometimes it just happens. A game comes along where it all goes wrong. There are examples of it happening this season in all divisions.
    When you’re two down in fifteen minutes against the best team in the league then, yes, rightly or wrongly, heads will drop. It becomes a mammoth ask to get anything from the game.
    The post-mortem will highlight individual performances and Hector in particular has come in for some criticism today. Let’s not gloss over the fact that many on here have been praising him since signing and suggesting he is capable of playing a higher level. One poor performance doesn’t change that. Same for AMB.
    We have been outclassed today but there is some comfort in that it was by a team on top of their game with a squad that is superior in every department. Ladapo, for example had 17 goals before today and was on the bench. 
    As a fan base we know we’re in trouble. Off the pitch we are a mess and I genuinely fear for our status at the moment. The only joy we can hope for is on the pitch and when it goes like it did today the future looks even more bleak. 
    A positive is Holden. He may have got it wrong today but hindsight is a wonderful thing and he could have parked the bus and we still may have been tonked. But he is certainly in credit and I have faith that he will deal with today’s setback.
    On the playing front Leaburn, AMB, Ness, Mitchell, Dobson, Campbell and hopefully Kanu. We desperately need some quality, experienced players in who give a damn. I’m still hopeful that McGrandles could prove to be a decent player. 
    Fraser is hit and miss but when on form is a capable performer. 
    League 1 is what it is. A collection of pretty average squads who are all capable of producing something at both ends of the performance spectrum. 
    Today, we were outclassed, outthought and outplayed. It happens.
    Congrats on a very measured & sensible post, sjh. I wish I could be as level headed after that abject performance but I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve & my overwhelming emotion at the final whistle was one of anger. I always clap the players when they come over to the away end but today, petulance reduced me to standing, watching them, arms folded, thinking "What am I doing here ?"

Sometimes I've mentioned the word pantomime after witnessing a kamikaze performance from our hapless lads ....today there were 11 Ugly Sisters out on the pitch, with comedic antics at time as though playing for laughs. Tripping over their own feet was a regular feature - something I found quite unsettling as though a few pints had been consumed on the coach as it sped its way up the A12. However, there was no need to shout " Behind you!" as it was all too evident that the boys in blue were MUCH closer than that 99% of the time....

But to refer to sjh's post once again, it is a fair summary of where we are at this moment in time. We are in trouble, for me there's no doubt. IF we bounce back & finish this season on a relative high, then maybe optimism will return and it was a game when " it just happened". 

But whether our current American gives it another shot if he fails to achieve his asking price, or whether the prospective purchaser who also hails from across the Pond decides to try his luck, I'm not filled with overwhelming optimism. Maybe I'm feeling unfairly critical of American owners - Todd Boehly has mega wealth but what does he know about English football clubs, as the Chelsea faithful are rumoured to be muttering. We're more likely to have an owner who is neither mega rich or knowledgeable as far as the Beautiful game is concerned. And with a significant overhaul of the current squad seemingly required, where does that leave our famous football club ? Season after season in L1 ? 

So, forgive me if I'm lacking in the belief that our fortunes will change any time soon. There is a mountain to climb, and my old legs are unlikely to be up to it. But we won't be removing our support in this hour of need, even though the prospect of a visit to Milton Keynes on Tuesday evening is far from enticing at this moment in time.

Maybe all I need is a bottle of Lidl's finest & a good night's sleep to restore my faith.
    Only few weeks ago we were winning 6-0 and the same players were the best we seen in Charlton shirt … it’s called football 
    you get freak results we have seen it time and time again we been involved in them many times .. 
    we lost but how you look at it 2 loses in 8 … defence has been fantastic , Hector don’t become a bad player because of today , we had to keep it tight all credit to Ipswich got two goals and game over .. but credit to Charlton because from 14 min to 70 min we were in it . Pen ? Yes on Saki but this ref after Ipswich hand picked him was never going to give us anything today .

Do you do 'auditing' on YouTube?
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Going to Milton Keynes on Tuesday. Not too excited about it after that but maybe we will see a reaction.
    I’m going too but do you really expect that? This squad hasn’t got any bollocks and, after today, I wouldn’t care if we ditch the lot at the the end of the season…
    Don't think they would be bothered if we did get rid of them half don't look like they want to be here anyway 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Tbf I didn't watch or even listen, but can I say 'fuck off innis'?
    It sounds like Hector was responsible for about 4 goals but Inniss has somehow stolen the fanbase's anger. He's cursed 
    Hector was rubbish today.

Innis has the worst disciplinary record in the top four leagues of English football.* Double anyone else.

Red Cards

Innis - 4
    Casemiro - 2
    Kamara - 2
    Osho - 2
    Platt - 2
    Khan - 2

* Presume it is much worse than that, but can't find individual stats for National League and below. But note that no team in the National League has above four cards as an entire squad, while Innis has four to himself.
    He also had one rescinded so had that stood this would look even worse than it already does
  • Options
    How many times does a team score 10 goals against you in the two games you meet in a season.
    And it's 14 in the last 3. Be glad to see back of Ipswich.
  • Options
    Was that Kane I saw on the highlights putting his body on the line , each goal was fraught with comical patheticness by many a player 
  • Options
    Certain clubs I don’t expect much from , 1987 & 1998 play off victories were what mattered more than anything at the time , so we have to keep paying back 
    don’t ever expect to beat Sunderland again either